PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Noise

dannyboy91uk
18-11-2009, 03:44
Hello I am here again, but this time it's about a PS3 bundle I bought in October from Game Station. I'm not usually fussy over consoles because I never usually seem to have major problems with them. I was told when I bought the PS3 that the 250gb model is quiet, It's definitely not quiet to say the least.

The discs seem to be spinning so fast I can hear a constant noise, the fan seems to be working overtime and a nice symbol which looks like dust seems to be doing a union jack when I remove them from the console. I don't know if this is normal for a 250GB Sony PS3 console but I can't be sure, I've also had a problem with the console crashing when I press the Sony home button. I've been told that is a problem everyone seem to be having with the firmware update.

I have 5 games at the moment and it doesn't make as much noise as it does on Fifa 10 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, the other 3 games make a noise but it doesn't sound half as bad as it does on the 2 games stated above (the symbol still seems to be there though). I would take pictures of the discs but it's quite hard to show the markings on my mobile.

pabscars
18-11-2009, 07:57
It doesnt sound right does it, I,d say a call to sony was in order, i have a 80 Gb model at the moment which is nice and quiet, it doesnt crash generally but has on rare occasions.

If the discs are becoming damaged as a result of normal use, then I,d say its possible the alignment isnt right inside, which can be adjusted inside but I wouldnt recommend voiding your warranty for the sake of it, just send it back.

Re Dust, normally if your console is running too warm you need to give a good clean with a hoover and if possible use a can of compressed air to blow the fan out, and relocate if possible to improve the ventilation of the console.

Just out of interest how long have you had it, and was it bought new or second hand.

Ravenheart
18-11-2009, 09:01
There's a couple of threads over on AVForums on this issue, it seems that some folks have virtually silent slim models and others are having the noisy fan issue.

AVForums Thread (http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3/1070345-ps3-slim-system-fan-blu-ray-drive-noise-issues.html)

The first slim I got (which I had to take back due to no HDMI output) was a noisy brute, but the one I have now is silent except the occasionally noisy disc access.

As Pabs has said dust can be an issue, and from the AV thread the location of the console seems to make a difference too.

If the noise is irritating while you're playing I'd be inclined to take it back to Game.

Hope you get it sorted :)

haydnwalker
18-11-2009, 09:07
I would agree with Ravenheart and I'd take it back to GAME as it may be doing damage to the discs if the laser alignment isn't correct. They would probably swap it out straight away if its only a month and a half old.

It shouldn't really be noisy at all, unless sony have taken to using cheap fans where the bearings are a bit crappy.

dannyboy91uk
18-11-2009, 16:24
I bought it just before halloween so possibly about 29th October, I still have the receipt but does everyone get a free 1 year warranty on the PS3 or not? I was asked before leaving if I wanted 2 years warranty on the PS3 and I said no because I had no more money on me.

Stuart
18-11-2009, 16:36
I bought it just before halloween so possibly about 29th October, I still have the receipt but does everyone get a free 1 year warranty on the PS3 or not? I was asked before leaving if I wanted 2 years warranty on the PS3 and I said no because I had no more money on me.

The sale of goods act requires that when sold, an item must be fit for purpose, and must remain fit for purpose for a set time after sale. The act doesn't define that time, but most companies offer a 1 year warranty. I don't know specifically about the PS3, but Sony have offered a 1 year warranty on every device I have bought from them.

Ravenheart
18-11-2009, 16:36
Aye you're covered for a year :) Take it in and see what they say especially as it's only a few weeks old.

ohh don't forget to back up your save games beforehand, in case they swap it for a new one.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Tezcatlipoca
18-11-2009, 20:06
The sale of goods act requires that when sold, an item must be fit for purpose, and must remain fit for purpose for a set time after sale. The act doesn't define that time, but most companies offer a 1 year warranty. I don't know specifically about the PS3, but Sony have offered a 1 year warranty on every device I have bought from them.

Sony offer a standard 1 year manufacturer's warranty on the PS3.

Regarding the Sale of Goods Act - your rights under this are with the retailer, not the manufacturer. It is the responsibility of the retailer to ensure that all goods conform to contract, are fit for purpose, etc.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

@ dannyboy91uk -

Take it back to the shop you bought it from.