PDA

View Full Version : anybody know how much notice - BT

funkyCable
17-08-2005, 13:34
how much notice do you need to give BT to cancel your line?

MovedGoalPosts
17-08-2005, 13:43
moved to Other Telco Services Discussion.

SMHarman
17-08-2005, 13:46
A month I think, is it a POTS line or something more special?

They may levy a fee if you have made changes to your line that have required engineering work in the last 12 months, e.g. as my line was converted from ISDN to POTS a few months ago for free, if I cancel in the next 12 months I pay a £50 (I think) fee.

Jules
17-08-2005, 13:46
I think it is a month but I am not sure, you could always ring them and ask :)

funkyCable
17-08-2005, 13:53
well i have been with them for over a year but moved to a new house which an engineer visited in December 2004. any chance they could charge me. thing is I have ordered NTL to install on the 26/august and want bt to disconnect on that day.

Jules
17-08-2005, 13:55
They may do it but I would have thought you would still be charged for the months notice

Angua
17-08-2005, 14:15
Overlap for a month just in case the NTL installation goes pear shaped? :erm:

funkyCable
17-08-2005, 16:29
Overlap for a month just in case the NTL installation goes pear shaped? :erm:

Take it you dont have faith in NTL. If i didn't have faith in NTL would I still be getting it??? I dont think so.:PP: :Peace: :rofl:

Jules
17-08-2005, 17:33
Angua speaks wise words you would do well to take heed young funky

Derek
17-08-2005, 17:37
If you are porting your number over to Ntl then do NOT cancel the BT line.

This will happen automatically (assuming you only have 1 line under the account)

When I cancelled my BT line in my old flat it was 1 months notice but they disconnected it on the date I moved out and charged a reduced rental for the remaining period.

Angua
17-08-2005, 20:17
Take it you dont have faith in NTL. If i didn't have faith in NTL would I still be getting it??? I dont think so.:PP: :Peace: :rofl:

I have been with NTL since they took over from Comtel (so, much longer than most) and personally have had few problems (can't stand BT). My mate has had all sorts of problems with her house move. BT came on day one and installed her phone (which she uses for a business fax with the original number straight away). NTL were due the next day and failed to show (next avalable date was 2 weeks later and they still haven't transferred her phone number) hence my cynicism.

funkyCable
18-08-2005, 10:01
Well I phoned BT last night to find out if NTL had contacted them and they said that my line was going to be canceled on the 5 September and NTL will be installing on the 26 August. So far so good really impressed so far.