PDA

View Full Version : Installation 20/11/09 - Few Questions

SP33DFR3@K
06-11-2009, 19:39
Hi All,

Im a newbie to this site, however am quite good with routers as I work for Belkin.

I have just moved house from a village where I was limited to an ADSL at about 4mb via O2 BB.

The new house is a 3 storey victorian house, Ieither had the option of getting ADSL again and the telephone exchange is opposite my house on my road (samknows says 0 metres) or getting cable. I decided to get VM cable 10mb to start of with.

My installation date is 20th November and we are getting 10mb BB & unlimted anytime calls, first time I have been a Virgin customer too.

The few questions I have is . . .

1, As I have the top floor to myself I would like the Broadband modem on the top floor and the phone connection in the hall way downstairs. Will there be any problems with doing this??

2, If there is a problem with number 1 above then, as the house is large i will need a router with a good coverage. Is the one Virgin provide me with N ??. If not then ill still have the freebie however will have to make you of my staff discount.

3, Another alternative to option 2 would be for me to get some powerline adaptors.

4, If he cannot install on top floor then if I have the telephone connection near the front door, whre would the best place be for me to have the BB connection located as techs at work have suggested if they cannot put in top floor to have in middle of house somewhere so the router gets best coverage.

5, Is there any other hints and tips you may have about things to request or ask for on the day of installation.

Many thanks

SP33DFR3@K
07-11-2009, 12:41
52 views and no answers ???

Please can someone help.

Thanks

Mezzle
07-11-2009, 12:45
The few questions I have is . . .

1, As I have the top floor to myself I would like the Broadband modem on the top floor and the phone connection in the hall way downstairs. Will there be any problems with doing this??

Don't know about 3 story, but I've previously had an installation with BB upstairs, and phone/TV downstairs.

2, If there is a problem with number 1 above then, as the house is large i will need a router with a good coverage. Is the one Virgin provide me with N ??. If not then ill still have the freebie however will have to make you of my staff discount.

I believe they only supply N routers free of charge with the 50Mbps BB ... When ordering through the internet, you can request an N router for £25 and an N adapter for £30

3, Another alternative to option 2 would be for me to get some powerline adaptors.

4, If he cannot install on top floor then if I have the telephone connection near the front door, whre would the best place be for me to have the BB connection located as techs at work have suggested if they cannot put in top floor to have in middle of house somewhere so the router gets best coverage.

5, Is there any other hints and tips you may have about things to request or ask for on the day of installation.

Many thanks

SP33DFR3@K
07-11-2009, 14:09
Thanks for the response Mezzle, cant wait for the install date to come round. currentley tethering via my samsung omnia and unlimite data plan with T-Mobile.

ShadowTD
09-11-2009, 16:55
I've got telly in the living room and broadband upstairs. The height might be a problem - maybe give them a ring? The average one man install team might not be equipped to go up to that height.

JayJay
09-11-2009, 21:28
H+S would be important factor here. Again it depends on the engineer, even if his ladder does reach that high, he has the final say in what he will climb and not.

Telco on the ground floor *Shouldnt* be a problem again, it all depends on the layout of the house, cable routes and where the cable comes from really.

Peter_
09-11-2009, 22:43
When I had my install done I ensured that it was installed exactly where I wanted by drilling holes and have fishes ready to attach cables to, the engineer would appreciate this and be more able to route your cabling as required if pre prepared in advance.

JayJay
09-11-2009, 22:53
If only there was more customers like you Moldova!

Peter_
09-11-2009, 22:58
If only there was more customers like you Moldova!
My installer thought he had gone to heaven as he had not seen a place so ready for him to install ever.

I got my modem sited in exactly the place I wanted and he got a quick install.

musicbravo
09-11-2009, 23:05
With regards the router type, with BB L you get a wireless G router FREE but have the option of paying £25 for a wireless N router

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wireless.html