PDA

View Full Version : Repairing an old broken telephone extension cable

Aeropars
03-11-2009, 21:45
Hi Guys,

Hope you can help!

I'm trying to repair a broken telephone extension cable which is currently running under carpet and flooring. I was hoping to hard wire it to the master socket as its the RJ11 plug which is broken.

The problem is that its not the current standard colours so I'm a bit lost. I have 4 wires coloured white, blue, green and red (all solid colours)

Does anyone know which wire goes to which numbered connection?

I hope you can help, i really dont want to rip up the laminate flooring to get to the wires for a replacement.

Cheers

progers
03-11-2009, 21:51
look at http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

hope this helps

Aeropars
03-11-2009, 22:35
HI,

I had a look at that but theres nothing mentioned about my specific coloured wires so I'm at a bit of a loss. Or am I missing something?

Cheers

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

Well, I've broken the plug that I cut off to see how the coloured wires sit. looking at the plug with the connectors facin up and the latch to the right the colours are as follows:

white green blue red

So looking at how modern day wireing looks do they translate to the following (matched in the same order as above)?

white/green white/orange orange/white blue/white

So if thats right what colours should go to what pins on the master socket?

SMG
04-11-2009, 00:25
The 2 (Outside) incoming wires go to pins 2 & 5.

I use alarm cable, 4 core, to supply all my extension sockets. I made a drawing of the layout & used 1 colour cable, per pin connector. I doesn`t matter what colours you use as long as they all connect to the same pins on the ext sockets.

If you want to do it "Correctly" you will need some telephone cable with the correct colours.

If you look at the wiring diagram, it does show you where to fit the cables.