PDA

View Full Version : upload speed vm to vm

mitch12
25-10-2009, 19:55
Hi
rite here go's
how do it work with the downloads speed and upload speeds
is it that vm pay for the upload speed or do thay pay for the download speed?
reason i ask is why is the upload speed so low 50meg line its around 190kbs up.
if the above is correct then for them to upload to a other isp i could and can understand why it so low But why is it the same for when a vm customer uploads a file to a vm customer if that is the case

broadbandking
25-10-2009, 21:18
As I am aware you can't higher the upload to VM customer uploading to another VM customer and lower it if a VM customer uploads to a BT customer, maybe on a small scale not on a complete network.

Ignitionnet
26-10-2009, 12:09
From an industry newsletter:

Lessons Learned
Most operators familiar with DOCSIS 3.0 launches advise their engineering peers to get their DOCSIS 2.0 plant ready first, and to not go directly from 1.x to 3.0. That's because most of DOCSIS 2.0 involves the upstream plant - making it capable of supporting a wider channel width (6.4 MHz), and a stronger modulation (64-QAM) than the original QPSK.

Virgin didn't do this, they were in a hurry to get the headline grabbing 50Mbit downstream speed out in the open so they skipped the upstream upgrades and are only now starting to do then with the threat of BT's 40Mbit/10Mbit and 100Mbit/10Mbit services beginning to be rolled out.

Do not expect to see higher upstreams from Virgin until early next year, and what they will be is unsure at this time though 10Mbps is apparently the target, however there is going to be quite a bit of work to do in some areas, so it will be a somewhat staggered rollout. Purely at the local level in some areas it will take considerably more man hours to deploy these higher upstreams than it did to deploy the 50Mbit downstream, in others it'll be relatively painless.

In summary the upstreams are low due to Virgin not really caring about them until now, so they never really did the work to enable it. They are now, however, suddenly starting to care, BT press releases about having faster upload speeds do that :D

AndyCalling
26-10-2009, 21:00
Do you think there will be any upstream speed increases for 20meg customers in the pipeline? Even my father's cheapo TalkTalk connection has a 1meg upstream and I'm stuck on 786k. A 5meg upstream would be lovely.

Ignitionnet
26-10-2009, 21:19
Do you think there will be any upstream speed increases for 20meg customers in the pipeline? Even my father's cheapo TalkTalk connection has a 1meg upstream and I'm stuck on 786k. A 5meg upstream would be lovely.

I have no idea, I see no reason why not but I suspect 5Mbit is optimistic.

Rather than go over things again I'll point to http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33644220-50mbit-service-upstream-discussion.html

Ignitionnet
27-10-2009, 19:59
A quick chat finds that some areas are 50Mbit ready but are only running DOCSIS 1.0 QPSK upstreams.

To put it another way, some nodes have a share of 200Mbps downstream, but only have a single 4.4Mbps upstream feeding them because the network can't handle anything else.

Some way to go to getting those beasties ready for 10Mbps up.

Sephiroth
27-10-2009, 23:38
Do you think we get any people here on VM-to-VM (P2P) downloads who are complaining about the speed of their downloads? If you get my drift - LOL.

Or is VM buffering and then chucking it down at "up to 50 Mbps"?

Ignitionnet
27-10-2009, 23:57
Do you think we get any people here on VM-to-VM (P2P) downloads who are complaining about the speed of their downloads? If you get my drift - LOL.

Or is VM buffering and then chucking it down at "up to 50 Mbps"?

Nah sadly not. Buffering heh.

It is somewhat scary though that, as per my above quote, VM totally ignored it to the point where they are deploying DOCSIS 1.0 upstream channels which can only shift about 4.4 - 4.5Mbps of data. 200Mbps down, 4.5Mbps up.

Just goes to show how little they cared about this stuff previously and how much work there is going to be to do to bring some areas up to scratch for a potential 10Mbps per modem tier. Tech support inform this is a conscious choice and it can only be deduced that they are running at this very low level out of necessity because the local network can't handle better.

Lots to do, a few issues that need some work.