PDA

View Full Version : 3 Days and still no activation

bbxxl
15-10-2009, 19:09
Since being updated to 50Mb On Monday I have not had internet as there is, I'm tolled, a problem with the CFT server and they can't get my modem out of the walled garden.

CS have told me that my call has been escalated and there is nothing they can do except wait and last night I was told it should be fixed 'within 5 days'

Phoning CS is useless as they tell me I can't speak to anyone else amnd they have no information except that this problem is affecting everyone and i can't downgrade to my old 20Mb as they wouldn't be able to register that modem either.

Other people here have successfully been upgraded since me and I am left high and dry with no information and no internet.

To say that I am not impressed is an understatement.

Is there any way of finding out what's actually happening?

This morning a server at work went down. Within half an hour we had everything running on a backup server, I can't believe that Virgin are reliant on one server with no backup - am I being fed a line?

pip08456
15-10-2009, 20:03
Very frustrating I'm sure but to be fair it may not be a server problem. No doubt one f the lads who actually works at VM will answer this for you. No doubt you will be back on to CS for a reasonable reduction in your next bill, I know I would.

xocemp
15-10-2009, 20:13
If your stuck in a pre-prov state then it can take 5 to 7 working days to have it resolved.

saeedk786
15-10-2009, 21:47
i got upgraded today

and there was a problem, the engineer said they couldnt hit the modem or something and it would take a few hours. so he left without checking anything jus put the new modem on and went

after 2 hours it did start working and thank god all power levels are ok and im getting the full 50mb

webcrawler2050
15-10-2009, 21:56
Yeah seems to be several people saying the same thing now..

bbxxl
15-10-2009, 21:58
I'm still getting nothing :(
My server runs my email and is not connected to the internet so all my emails are bouncing.
People think I'm dead :(

webcrawler2050
15-10-2009, 21:58
Maybe this is where backup MX would of been good ^_^

bbxxl
15-10-2009, 23:15
Err - why didn't I think of that - just set one up for my main account...

Thanks.

It won't get pushed to my phone but at least I can access it.

webcrawler2050
15-10-2009, 23:17
Err - why didn't I think of that - just set one up for my main account...

Thanks.

It won't get pushed to my phone but at least I can access it.

You are welcome to use mine FOC - I've got a couple of box's in Stratford. Lemme know.

bbxxl
16-10-2009, 08:11
webcrawler2050 - thanks for the offer, I'll just use my domain host's email servers until my BB is back up though. It's a problem with the iPhone that it can only have one Exchange email account set up.
Hopefully my BB will be working again soon.
But it's really nice of you to offer - restored my faith in humanity :)

webcrawler2050
16-10-2009, 11:46
webcrawler2050 - thanks for the offer, I'll just use my domain host's email servers until my BB is back up though. It's a problem with the iPhone that it can only have one Exchange email account set up.
Hopefully my BB will be working again soon.
But it's really nice of you to offer - restored my faith in humanity :)

Nope. iPhone supports, POP3, IMAP & Exchange - i've got IMAP running very nicely on my iPhone

bbxxl
16-10-2009, 11:50
What I meant was it only supports one exchange account, you can't get push email on more than one exchange account.
IMAP does not support push, I believe.
I have fetch email on my hotmail accounts and my gmail but push only works on Exchange accounts without additional software.

webcrawler2050
16-10-2009, 11:51
What I meant was it only supports one exchange account, you can't get push email on more than one exchange account.
IMAP does not support push, I believe.
I have fetch email on my hotmail accounts and my gmail but push only works on Exchange accounts without additional software.

No IMAP doesn't push.. BUT... still fetches every 5 // 10 minutes on my iphone. Works well. I'd rather use IMAP than exchange anywho..

bbxxl
16-10-2009, 12:03
My home server is my exchange server (set up by a friend - I'm no expert) and works very well - when I have BB access.
I don't know much about IMAP - why do you prefer it to exchange?

webcrawler2050
16-10-2009, 12:24
My home server is my exchange server (set up by a friend - I'm no expert) and works very well - when I have BB access.
I don't know much about IMAP - why do you prefer it to exchange?

It's easier - OpenSource - works better - more stable - there is a big long list as to why i prefer it.

shippo4
16-10-2009, 13:02
OT - I've had this problem since last Friday - so a total of 8 days without internet connection now. It's becoming a joke.

First of I was told 24 hours, then on Sunday I was told they'd done it and it would be up by the evening. Called again Sunday night when no result. Didn't have an explanation for me. Called on Monday and they told me it would be done by the 'end of the week' - which is the most vague fix date I've ever heard.

I've been having slow speed issues since April on 20mbps due to over-subscription (1-2mbps is the fastest I've had for 6 months. Now I've got no service whatsoever. Totally unacceptable.

Graham M
16-10-2009, 13:38
I run Fetchmail on my Linux server here at home which downloads my email from several accounts into one place, I can then connect via IMAP from pretty much any email client anywhere and look at my email (even have web access via Squirellmail)

webcrawler2050
16-10-2009, 13:49
I run Fetchmail on my Linux server here at home which downloads my email from several accounts into one place, I can then connect via IMAP from pretty much any email client anywhere and look at my email (even have web access via Squirellmail)

Yup - i've got two servers in a redundant DNS cluster with backup MX

bbxxl
16-10-2009, 14:04
OT - I've had this problem since last Friday - so a total of 8 days without internet connection now. It's becoming a joke.

This does not bode well...
I'm in Surrey - what part of the country are you in?
Is there any way of escalating the problem? I feel I've been hung out toi dry here. i asked if I could go back to 20Mb and was tolkd they wouldn't be able to activate a 20Mb modem, so No. I asked if I could cancel the contract and was told they bare supplying TV and phone so are not in breach of contract and would have to pay to get out of it.

What can we do?

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

Yup - i've got two servers in a redundant DNS cluster with backup MX

What do you do when your BB conection goes missing though?

chocky909
16-10-2009, 19:16
I'll just add to this thread as it seems I am suffering from the same problem with modem activation/registration. Engineer came this morning and told me he couldn't activate it. Surely if this has been a problem for a while he shouldn't have upgraded me yet so I would still have internet access.

I am in South London by the way. Should I just wait or ring CS tomorrow?

webcrawler2050
16-10-2009, 19:26
I don't run my servers on my "home" connection..

They are on MultiHomed BGP Network - in two seperate datacentres.

chocky909
16-10-2009, 22:54
Anyone working for Virgin got any info or advice on this issue? I mean, should I juts wait or should I be ringing up CS every few hours to see if they can fix my issue?

bbxxl
16-10-2009, 23:53
My wife phoned this evening as I am to frustrated - she was told it will be working tomorrow.
I believe them.
But I have had a lt of wine.

chocky909
17-10-2009, 17:41
^

Is it working today? Mine isn't. :mad:

I think I'm going to ask to be put through to retentions, cancel my service completely and leave cable broadband behind forever.:angel: 8MB *BE for £12.50 a month sounds pretty good right now. I knew this would be a bad idea. I've been wanting to get rid for ages now. Inconsistant speeds and overpriced unless you like to barter on the phone for discounts. I was attracted to the 50mb because it isn't traffic shaped at the moment.

It's only a shame I have to wait til Monday morning to do it because I've some serious anger to utilize in my call right now. I've just had some Indian call centre drone tell me I have to wait until the 23rd... :erm: What a load of tosh.

bbxxl
17-10-2009, 21:06
I rang again today. Very helpful man, tried to activate but couldn't and said as it has been escalated they will put a note on my ticket when they have some news - he actually gave me my ticket number.
I told him how frustrated I was and he seemed genuinely sorry for me. He said they email the team to escalate it and can't speak to them.
As far as I can see the escalation team are doing absolutly nothing and I am likely to be without BB forever.
Virgin really don't seem to want us to cancel but IU think I'm going to have to and will be consulting a solicitor on Monday.
:(

MovedGoalPosts
17-10-2009, 22:56
The Cable Forum Team does have some contacts at a senior level within Virgin Media. They have proven quite good at cutting past the layers of red tape within the system.

bbxxl, if you wish us to try this escalation system, please send me some details by PM - your customer name and address, account number, and a daytime phone number. Our contacts are not front line so may not respond immediately and do normally only work general office hours.

bbxxl
17-10-2009, 23:43
Rob - thanks for the response.
I have PM'd you but it seems to have failed. If you have not received it can you pm me an email address ?
I really do appreciate your help.
Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
18-10-2009, 01:30
I have your PM and will forward your details. Do let us know how you get on.

bbxxl
18-10-2009, 12:12
Thanks Rob - I'll let you know what happens.
At least now I know I haven't just been forgotten about...

chocky909
18-10-2009, 16:22
Since being updated to 50Mb On Monday I have not had internet as there is, I'm tolled, a problem with the CFT server and they can't get my modem out of the walled garden.

CS have told me that my call has been escalated and there is nothing they can do except wait and last night I was told it should be fixed 'within 5 days'

Phoning CS is useless as they tell me I can't speak to anyone else amnd they have no information except that this problem is affecting everyone and i can't downgrade to my old 20Mb as they wouldn't be able to register that modem either.

Other people here have successfully been upgraded since me and I am left high and dry with no information and no internet.

To say that I am not impressed is an understatement.
Is there any way of finding out what's actually happening?

This morning a server at work went down. Within half an hour we had everything running on a backup server, I can't believe that Virgin are reliant on one server with no backup - am I being fed a line?

Is this actually true? How can this have happened if there is a problem with activation? Is this only an issue within certain cable areas? It would be good if anyone who has been upgraded successfully to 50mb in the last few days could post in this thread.

bbxxl
18-10-2009, 17:36
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33656648-50mb-broadband-great.html
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33656674-just-installed.html

Are just two - I've seen others.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

I just rang again about the fact that I haven't received my router (It's been the last thing on my mind).
When he insta;lled on Monday he said they were out of stock of routers and one would be delivered on Wednesday. By the time he left that had changed to Wednesday/Thursday but I still haven't received it.

I rang and was put on hold but only for about 10 minutes. I then got through to a nice chap who said he would put me through to Customer Services. I then got another gentleman who said he would just check and put me through to a recorded message saying they are closed....

The joys of Virgin Media...

chocky909
18-10-2009, 20:43
Interesting, thanks. I suspect it is a regional problem. I am in SE15 which is old NTL I think Bromley exchange. Where are you bbxxl?

The experience you and I are having with the CS is the reason I want to leave. It's even worse than I remember it. I got cut off and reached auto disconnects so many times on Friday I was screaming down my phone in disgust.

What hours is retentions/cancellations open anyone? I tried to cancel last night but they told me to ring back on Monday. Will I have to spend my lunchbreak on the phone to them?

bbxxl
18-10-2009, 22:11
I'm in Woking - maybe it's just the South East?

I try not to shout but my wife said I did raise my voice today on the phone.

It's not the poor sods on the other end of the phone's fault - they are as helpless us us.

You would have thought Virgin would have an escalation procedure but, it seems, they don't.

MovedGoalPosts
19-10-2009, 17:55
I am advised our contacts have received your details bbxxl. Hopefully they will have been making contact with you.

bbxxl
19-10-2009, 19:57
Not heard anything yet.
Hopefully soon!

chocky909
19-10-2009, 21:18
Well I spoke to cancellations today to cancel my connection. I was told that I would have to give 28 days notice. So I did. Then he told me I would be reverted back to 20MB for this time and I told him that my modem was not activated. So he tried to ring Tech Support and after 5 minutes on hold came back and said he couldn't get through and would ring me back later. He never did ring back. And THAT is why I'm leaving Virgin Media.

crazyronnie
20-10-2009, 11:15
I'm currently on 20mb and am going to upgrade to 50mb. Should i wait as there seems to be problems with registering new modems?

bbxxl
20-10-2009, 21:10
My phone rang once at 5:26 today - it was an 0800 number so when I got home I rang it and got a recorded message saying I'd missed a call from Virgin and they would phone back in the next few days.

I tried to connect and got an error so I rang Virgin. He asked what lights were on and the second light was not on, after checking my Ethernet cable and trying one from another PC he diagnosed a faulty modem and will post a new one out to me (to my home address, he couldn't send it to my work address so that's another days delay).

I was a bit suspicious as normally all 5 lights are on, so I rebooted the modem and, sure enough all 5 lights come on and stay on....

I think Virgin think that if they delay it long enough they will have 100Mb cable available. :(

Peter_
20-10-2009, 21:50
My phone rang once at 5:26 today - it was an 0800 number so when I got home I rang it and got a recorded message saying I'd missed a call from Virgin and they would phone back in the next few days.

I tried to connect and got an error so I rang Virgin. He asked what lights were on and the second light was not on, after checking my Ethernet cable and trying one from another PC he diagnosed a faulty modem and will post a new one out to me (to my home address, he couldn't send it to my work address so that's another days delay).

I was a bit suspicious as normally all 5 lights are on, so I rebooted the modem and, sure enough all 5 lights come on and stay on....

I think Virgin think that if they delay it long enough they will have 100Mb cable available. :(
You are a 50Mb customer and he told you that they will be sending you a replacement modem, that is not possible on 50Mb as the are no codes to enable a VMG300 modem to be ordered, if you receive a modem it will be an Ambit 256 as 50Mb customers require an engineer to swap the modem

Youe issue is a problem with account provisioning so as yet no modem will work until that is resolved.

Sorry to burst your bubble of hope, but until that issue is resolved the fault will remain.

chocky909
20-10-2009, 23:12
I tried to get my modem registered again tonight. No joy although the call centre guys spent about 20 minutes trying with me on hold.

What's the deal with compensation for no broadband? I've never had it totally unavailable for this long before.

pip08456
21-10-2009, 00:36
I've been pondering about upgrading to 50 Mb but after following this thread for the last few days I think I'll wait.

I cannot understand why VM have not been able to sort these people out. It can't be happening to all new subscribers surely.

bbxxl
21-10-2009, 14:31
Sorry to burst your bubble of hope, but until that issue is resolved the fault will remain.

The only bubble I have left is like the one from the prisoner - there is no escape....

I was most impressed to see my bill online today.
£67.95 for my services (which is what I'd expect for a full month with 50Mb BB)
£50 for the installation and activation (which they've failed miserably to do)
0.47p for telephone calls (fair enough)

Then come the interesting bits - when I phoned the other day a very apologetic CS man said he would credit my account with £10 as a gesture of goodwill (on top of any service interruption charges).

They have, of course, added the £10 to my bill, together with the partial months service from 12/10 - 19/10 of £2.13 but have given me a VAT credit of £1.05

So my total bill is £67.95 + 50 + 10 + 2.13 - 1.05 +0.47 = £129.50

How do I get charged £10 for 'HSI Service Interruption? :shocked:

Still no sign of my BB working. My 3G data is running out rapidly as I am having to use that instead.

Rapidly running out of hope....

Peter_
21-10-2009, 20:02
Then come the interesting bits - when I phoned the other day a very apologetic CS man said he would credit my account with £10 as a gesture of goodwill (on top of any service interruption charges).

They have, of course, added the £10 to my bill,

So my total bill is £67.95 + 50 + 10 + 2.13 - 1.05 +0.47 = £129.50

How do I get charged £10 for 'HSI Service Interruption? :shocked:

Because they will have forgotten to put the minus sign in, you need to call the 50Mb Support line on 0800 052 0431 to get them to credit the £10 and a further credit added onto your account as per your original call.

MovedGoalPosts
21-10-2009, 20:12
bbxxl, I'm advised our contacts have been trying to get in touch with you but your phone isn't working? They are suggesting their records indicate the problem was fixed 2 days ago. Clearly something remains at odds here.

Please recheck the PM you sent me and if the phone number you have given is invalid please PM one of the Cable Forum Team who will be able to update our contacts. Don't PM me as I'm not going to be around much over the next couple of days.

crazyronnie
22-10-2009, 12:48
I rang up virgin today to upgrade to 50mb and mentioned that i heard there were problems with the activation of the modems. The guy i spoke to was aware of this and didnt know when the problem was going to be fixed and basically said don't upgrade right now, ring back in a week and find out if the problem have been resolved.

Ian-S
22-10-2009, 13:04
does anybody know how to cancel an upgrade?

I've got mine booked for 11/11/09 and am in Surrey, given everybody else's experience I've changed my mind and don't want 50MB, I'll stick to working 20MB, nothing has been received by post (supposed to be something in the letter about cancelling) so how do I cancel the install?

Phone 150 I assume?

Quiet_news
22-10-2009, 13:43
I have reported my post so a member of the moderation team contacts me.

I'm not trying to achieve anything, I noticed the thread and I can help. I'm in a position to resolve this persons fault. I just went about it the wrong way.

webcrawler2050
22-10-2009, 13:44
I have reported my post so a member of the moderation team contacts me.

I'm not trying to achieve anything, I noticed the thread and I can help. I'm in a position to resolve this persons fault. I just went about it the wrong way.

Okay. See what happens :)

Quiet_news
22-10-2009, 13:47
:cool:

Raistlin
22-10-2009, 14:08
Ok, the Team are currently looking into this.

Quiet_news, I will contact you directly.

Quiet_news
22-10-2009, 15:03
Ok, the Team are currently looking into this.

Quiet_news, I will contact you directly.

Cool. I have emailed you guys too.

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

You know I've posted in hundreds of forums over the years but I think Rob is possibly the most help moderator I have ever dealt with.

I'm just waiting on the admins to change my profile now, all confirmed.

Thanks Rob and sorry to members for the confusion.

Raistlin
22-10-2009, 15:12
You know I've posted in hundreds of forums over the years but I think Rob is possibly the most help moderator I have ever dealt with.

:blush:

Always nice to be appreciated.

Anyway, we've confirmed that Quiet_news is a Member of Virgin Media's staff :tu:

webcrawler2050
22-10-2009, 15:15
Cool. I have emailed you guys too.

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

I'm just waiting on the admins to change my profile now, all confirmed.

Thanks Rob and sorry to members for the confusion.

Sorry about that - didn't mean to cause offence. Just when a "new" member asks for a MAC code, sets off alarm bells.

Quiet_news
22-10-2009, 15:16
Sorry about that - didn't mean to cause offence. Just when a "new" member asks for a MAC code, sets off alarm bells.

No worries at all mate .. my stupid fault

chocky909
22-10-2009, 21:16
Hey Quiet_news. I'm also suffering from this current inability to activate/register my new modem. Do you think you can help? I'd be interested to hear what you can do that the VM support haven't been able to do so far.

EDIT

Well, I've just been on phone to activations and they are saying my line has been disconnected so I need to speak to Customer Relations tomorrow. I'm guessing this is also not true because I do have a connection albeit and locked one that leads only to the VM "Setting Up Your Broadband" activation page.

bbxxl
22-10-2009, 22:34
bbxxl, I'm advised our contacts have been trying to get in touch with you but your phone isn't working? They are suggesting their records indicate the problem was fixed 2 days ago. Clearly something remains at odds here.

Please recheck the PM you sent me and if the phone number you have given is invalid please PM one of the Cable Forum Team who will be able to update our contacts. Don't PM me as I'm not going to be around much over the next couple of days.

I got a phone call at 5:26pm on Tues when my phone rang once and no more - when I rang the 0800 number I got a recorded message saying thta VM had tried to contact me and would phone back in a few days...
My phone works fine and they have my number. My fault was fixed this morning and I got a phone call this afternoon apologising and offering to give me a direct number - but as I didn't have a pen with me he said he'd text me his details - I've not received them yet.
I mentioned that I still don't have the router and he said they have some in their office and he would send one out to me special delivery as the PO are still delivering them despite the strike - I'll see tomorrow.

I have had the £10 debit changed to a credit on my bill and I now have 50Mb (wired only) so am a lot happier - Not sure if I would have got it by now if it wasn't for this forum. Thank you Rob :)

On a different note - I'm not sure if it's related, since they came last week I have had my TV go blank sometimes - it seems to be getting more regular. The screen goes black occasionally - it did it 4 times in one hour this evening but lasts for less that one second and just comes back like nothing has happened - anyone else getting this?

chocky909
23-10-2009, 00:35
Glad you seem to be sorted now bbxxl. Hopefully the issue in general is sorted now and I just need to speak to someone with a clue to get my modem going too.

webcrawler2050
23-10-2009, 00:44
Speak to Tech support - or PM your details to one of the mods or Quiet_news, im sure somebody up the ranks should be able to do something

Raistlin
23-10-2009, 06:53
Already confirmed in Post #62 of this thread.

Quiet_news
23-10-2009, 07:02
Already confirmed in Post #62 of this thread.

:D better safe than sorry :)

sxcha
23-10-2009, 15:27
I was on the phone to a tech today and he says they're running a "script" to resolve this issue. So far nothing. If it's not working by tomorrow morning I'm gonna call them and give them a good rollocking.

Been without internet since the 16th. Really out of order, this outage.

Quiet_news
23-10-2009, 15:41
Its like Chinese whispers lol ...

chocky909
23-10-2009, 18:10
Quiet_news :D I don't know how the hell you did it but my broadband is up and running again. Thank you very much. Now, why the hell couldn't anyone else do that?

I'm almost definately still going to leave VM anyway now that I have given my notice. I've been paying a lot of money for far too long and I should see how other broadband compares as I have only ever known cable.

Who knows, the grass is always greener on the other side, I may be back one day.

Quiet_news
23-10-2009, 18:18
Quiet_news :D I don't know how the hell you did it but my broadband is up and running again. Thank you very much. Now, why the hell couldn't anyone else do that?

I'm almost definately still going to leave VM anyway now that I have given my notice. I've been paying a lot of money for far too long and I should see how other broadband compares as I have only ever known cable.

Who knows, the grass is always greener on the other side, I may be back one day.

:D well if I've managed to show you that VM staff do care and are interested (most of us) then I'm happy.

I'm not VM through and through, but I get paid to keep customers happy and if I can do that in my own time, without breaking any rules .. I'm happy to.

Ian-S
23-10-2009, 19:11
hmm maybe I won't be cancelling my install just yet if you're still around on the 11th ;)

Quiet_news
23-10-2009, 19:22
hmm maybe I won't be cancelling my install just yet if you're still around on the 11th ;)

If you're talking to me .. I get an email every time someone PM's me .. I'll help out even if I'm not posting :)

Peter_
23-10-2009, 19:25
If you're talking to me .. I get an email every time someone PM's me .. I'll help out even if I'm not posting :)
I find it odd that it has taken so long for a fix to be found.

Quiet_news
23-10-2009, 19:29
I find it odd that it has taken so long for a fix to be found.

Its more of IDing who's affected.

Peter_
23-10-2009, 19:31
Its more of IDing who's affected.
It gets reported but I suppose its then a case of it then being flagged to you guys for a resolution.

Quiet_news
23-10-2009, 20:06
Kinda yeah, its not me directly, I just have the access to fix it.

Sadly the teams are small and with so many customers, faults build up.

It is constant work loads and the pressure is on all over VM to make every customer has the service they expect.... As you well know mate.

Gp1207
23-10-2009, 23:15
Hey can you please help I upgraded 20 mb to 50 mb and had no service since install date of 6 Oct . It telling me to activate my modem. Just worried I won't get any service. Thankyou

Quiet_news
24-10-2009, 11:47
Hey can you please help I upgraded 20 mb to 50 mb and had no service since install date of 6 Oct . It telling me to activate my modem. Just worried I won't get any service. Thankyou

:D

Quiet_news
26-10-2009, 20:04
Kinda yeah, its not me directly, I just have the access to fix it.

Sadly the teams are small and with so many customers, faults build up.

It is constant work loads and the pressure is on all over VM to make every customer has the service they expect.... As you well know mate.

Based on current PM's, I can only help if something is passed on through the correct channels.

Please call support:cool:

MovedGoalPosts
26-10-2009, 21:10
A few posts have been deleted from this thread for reasons of confidentiality.

bbxxl
28-10-2009, 11:26
Last Thursday I got a call from a very nice man at Virgin who told me my BB was now connected and was going to give me his direct contact details in case I had any further problems. As I didn't have a pen he said he would text me his details.
He asked if I had any other problems and I pointed out that I still had not received my router and he said they had some in the office and he would get one sent out special delivery which should still arrive the following day despite the postal strike. He also said he would send it to my work address as I would not be at home and took my details (CS said they could only send to my home address).

Needless to say that was the last I heard from him, no text with his contact details and still no sign of the router....

Oh well, at least my 50Mb connection is working fine :)

Peter_
28-10-2009, 19:46
Last Thursday I got a call from a very nice man at Virgin who told me my BB was now connected and was going to give me his direct contact details in case I had any further problems. As I didn't have a pen he said he would text me his details.
He asked if I had any other problems and I pointed out that I still had not received my router and he said they had some in the office and he would get one sent out special delivery which should still arrive the following day despite the postal strike. He also said he would send it to my work address as I would not be at home and took my details (CS said they could only send to my home address).

Needless to say that was the last I heard from him, no text with his contact details and still no sign of the router....

Oh well, at least my 50Mb connection is working fine :)
If you call in on 0800 052 0431 one of my colleagues will have the router sent out.

bbxxl
28-10-2009, 20:53
That's the number I rang last week and they said they'd send one out. I'll wait and see if one turns up - I really don't have the will to call again...

Thanks anyway.

ajeffo
28-10-2009, 21:32
Just to say its not all bad news, i ordered the 50Mbps last week, was installed today and works fine, although the router hasn't arrived yet, good job i already have a wireless N router, getting speeds of about 47Mbps on wired gigabit LAN, about 33Mbps on Wireless N and 12Mbps on 54g wireless. The engineer was at my house for less that 30 minutes

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

Note that the virgin engineer recommended the speed test on www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk as he said that speedtest.net wasn't reliable for speeds greater than 20Mbps

bbxxl
13-11-2009, 13:07
If you call in on 0800 052 0431 one of my colleagues will have the router sent out.

I finally tried again last week and got a nice, helpful man who put me on hold. While I was on hold my mobile rang and the call failed. That's when I realised it was him phoning me back as I'd been cut off :(

I got home to find two messages on my home phone, the first to say he'd been cut off, the second to say he'd looked into it and was sending out a router. I'd heard that before so didn't get my hopes up but arrived home on Wednesday o have my neighbour give me a parcel that had turned up (I have great neighbours :)) - it was the router :)

With my old router I was getting 20 - 30Mb wired and 17-18Mb wireless. With the new one I got 50Mb wired with no problem (using speedtest.net) and tried with my laptop and got 0.8 - 11Mb :( tried with the D'Link usb adaptor ands was getting similar - not good I thought. The following day I had a play and found I had to turn on 802.11N on the USB adaptor and got https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/11/32.png

I am now a happy bunny :)

Thanks for all the help.

Peter_
13-11-2009, 14:39
I finally tried again last week and got a nice, helpful man who put me on hold. While I was on hold my mobile rang and the call failed. That's when I realised it was him phoning me back as I'd been cut off :(

I got home to find two messages on my home phone, the first to say he'd been cut off, the second to say he'd looked into it and was sending out a router. I'd heard that before so didn't get my hopes up but arrived home on Wednesday o have my neighbour give me a parcel that had turned up (I have great neighbours :)) - it was the router :)

With my old router I was getting 20 - 30Mb wired and 17-18Mb wireless. With the new one I got 50Mb wired with no problem (using speedtest.net) and tried with my laptop and got 0.8 - 11Mb :( tried with the D'Link usb adaptor ands was getting similar - not good I thought. The following day I had a play and found I had to turn on 802.11N on the USB adaptor and got

I am now a happy bunny :)

Thanks for all the help.
Good to see you are now sorted at last.;)

bbxxl
13-11-2009, 14:56
Good to see you are now sorted at last.;)

If you can find out who it was who sent me the router can you pass on my thanks - he was very helpful and got me sorted even though I managed to cut him off on my mobile.

Thanks again for your help.

scoobadiva
14-11-2009, 00:28
i rang earlier tonight to enquire why i was paying £25 for 10mb, the bloke on the phone convinced me to upgrade to 20mb instead with no added cost for 6 month. while doing this, my internet went off, the ready light on the modem is off, and tech support cant get it back on claiming a server fault.

i dont think they can reactivate them modem... wtf...

xocemp
14-11-2009, 02:08
Where you given a date, expected time when this would be resolved?

scoobadiva
14-11-2009, 07:56
it went from 20 minutes, to 2 hours, to later the next evening, then back to 1am this morning. it's still off though.

now its 3 - 5 days...