PDA

View Full Version : what a joke!!

kyee
15-10-2009, 15:45
Just bought a new flat in my local town with my misses. We move in next week. Went into VM last week to organize our broadband as I work online as freelancer; its a need.

We where told that the spotters would be sent out to see if we could have fibre optic as it wasnt showing up on the servers. So were told it would take 6-7 days and they would phone us to let us know.

9 days go by no phone call. So we went into the shop again today for a chat with the bloke who sorted us out the first time..

He says that sometimes the spotters dont go out when theyre supposed to so theyve put another request in? lol... so anyway, after much debates and arguing I settled and was so desperate to get something in there I ordered the 'National" XL bband and phone. Up to 7MB service apparently. I ordered it on the grounds that the guy said while we are in there we get 28 days on the service during that time we can back out or switch to another service, so hopefuly they will be able to tell us if we can have fibre optic by this time (very doubtful they will bother imo :dozey:) so begrudgingly I handed over my card and paid the 30 quid install fee. It will arrive the day after we move in and will be activated by the weekend...

So, just been to our new place and noticed that they have a Diamond Cable box and what appears to be a phone line socket directly next to it in our living room. WTF? does this mean I can have cable or what? I'm very confused as there was also a Virgin Media letter through the door from the previous tenant. Unfortunately the landlord is a 60 year old bloke who has no idea what internet is but is will to let us do what we want thankfully ;)

Anyone shed some light I would appreciate it..

Kymmy
15-10-2009, 15:49
Welcome to the forum

Thread moved to Installation issues

webcrawler2050
15-10-2009, 15:52
Probably best to PM your postal code and door number to a mod and or BenMcr to confirm otherwise.

Kymmy
15-10-2009, 15:54
Mods/admins can't check if someone can get cable or not, that's upto VM staff members and spotters... The only thing as mods/admins that we can do is escalate exisiting problems to higher levels within VM only if/when a customer has major problems with their normal points of VM contact..

kyee
15-10-2009, 15:59
I wouldnt say its a major problem, but I would like to know what the box in the flat is cos it looked like a broadband thing. Sorry but I'm not a very technical person (despite being a designer) lol.

webcrawler2050
15-10-2009, 16:03
Mods/admins can't check if someone can get cable or not, that's upto VM staff members and spotters... The only thing as mods/admins that we can do is escalate exisiting problems to higher levels within VM only if/when a customer has major problems with their normal points of VM contact..

What i mean is, incase he wasn't happy PM'ing his details a "normal" member

kyee
15-10-2009, 16:10
I've input the post code in on the site and it says we cant have fibre but can have broadband down the phone.

jungleguy
15-10-2009, 20:39
try filling out this form,

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

webcrawler2050
15-10-2009, 23:25
try filling out this form,

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

Won't get you no where! I've tried, several times.

Do you have an indoor shopping complex?
Do you have a VirginMedia Sales desk / stand in there?

If so - go and speak to them - they are normally pretty darn good as getting things moving.

jungleguy
16-10-2009, 08:16
Won't get you no where! I've tried, several times.

Do you have an indoor shopping complex?
Do you have a VirginMedia Sales desk / stand in there?

If so - go and speak to them - they are normally pretty darn good as getting things moving.

that's good advise cause they fill out that form for you!!!!!(all be it a similar one)

lol

Gypsie
16-10-2009, 12:41
Filling out that form worked for me anyway.... I had a spotter call me a week after filling it in.

webcrawler2050
16-10-2009, 12:47
that's good advise cause they fill out that form for you!!!!!(all be it a similar one)

lol

It's just my personal experience. I tried to spotter form, no such luck. Went to the desk and they got a spotter to me the next day.

Turkey Machine
16-10-2009, 17:11
I wouldnt say its a major problem, but I would like to know what the box in the flat is cos it looked like a broadband thing. Sorry but I'm not a very technical person (despite being a designer) lol.

Since nobody seems to have answered the question directly, I'll give it a go. :)

If the box on the inside wall has a screw connector for coax, is white and has ntl or Virgin Media branding or none at all, it's likely to be the entry point for the cable connection. The way to double-check is if there's a brown (or painted) box outside in roughly the same place, as that's the outside entry point for the pulled cable from the nearest cabinet.

Or you could post a picture. :)