PDA

View Full Version : Different Speeds

cupcakes aka dd
15-10-2009, 14:51
Can anyone help?

I have two computers one new and one six years old. I'm on 10meg BB and noticed the download speed on the new one averages 6-7meg whilst the old one 1.2-2meg. I did think maybe there was something dodgy on the old one slowing it down so I did a complete format (which needed doing anyway) just to see if this helped. No change still 1.2-2meg. Both are connected by cabled router and I have tried swapping the cables around in diff sockets.
Any ideas anyone? :confused:

azcomposer
15-10-2009, 15:05
It will depend on the OS (Vista vs XP for example), and/or the speed and quality (and drivers - how updated are they?) of the LAN card.

cupcakes aka dd
15-10-2009, 15:08
XP on old PC, Vista on new. Never updated drivers on LAN card.

pabscars
15-10-2009, 15:12
XP on old PC, Vista on new. Never updated drivers on LAN card.

Just a thought, have you tried running TCP Optimiser

cupcakes aka dd
15-10-2009, 15:16
I'll give it a go. I'll update the LAN driver as well.

azcomposer
15-10-2009, 15:53
Vista has built-in support for high speeds. XP doesn't, so you will need TCP Optimiser.

faisalabadi
15-10-2009, 16:33
we are paying for 8mb ang getting just 2mb

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

virgin media need sorting out big time

heisenberg912
15-10-2009, 16:40
Vista has built-in support for high speeds. XP doesn't, so you will need TCP Optimiser.

I think this may not be entirely true. We literally just had a 50mb install (yesterday) and my mum's win XP machine runs the full 50mb fine as does my brother's and dad's. I'm the only one using vista and I am also getting the full 50 mb.

My suggestion would be the network card drivers, but I guess TCP optimiser can't hurt. :)

tweetiepooh
15-10-2009, 16:53
Or if it's a really cheap machine with a 10Mb card in it then you won't ever get near the full speed.

If the machines are linked via a hub rather than a switch then you also see slower speeds as you all share the cable rather than a switch where you get your own bit of network.

Or some software that's slowing things up more than it should, malware, too much other stuff running.

azcomposer
15-10-2009, 16:54
No, I have XP and I am nowhere near getting 50Mb. However, on Vista, not a problem.

I guarantee you that Vista/Windows 7 were designed with high-speeds in mind, unlike XP which is many years old and no-one thought we would be dealing with 50Mb speeds so early...

It seems some people are not getting the full 50Mb on XP, for whatever reason. I have tried to sort this out but to no avail (I work in IT too), even with TCP Optimiser. I am going to 'upgrade' to Windows 7, so all my problems will (hopefully) go away speed-wise.