PDA

View Full Version : tv b/b cableing question , help please .

v8rick
15-10-2009, 11:29
hello im new here so i dont know if this is the right place to ask but here goes,

a couple of weeks ago i signed up for a vm tv , bb , and telephone package , when the installation team came they connected up the phone and b/b but said they had no record of a tv install !!!!! .
so cut a long story short i contacted vm who told me they would send me a set top box which i could connect myself .
this is where my problem is , i have no tv outlet cable in the house , so i looked in the junction box outside and i have 2 cables , 1 is for the phone and the other , a co-ax cable is for the b/b , my question is do virgin use the same co-ax for both b/b and tv ? , if so i presume all i need is a splitter to tee off the cable then feed it through the wall into the house for my set top box .
could anyone confirm this please , the proper connectors arn`t a problem i can get them from my local maplins store .

cheers rick.

Misterguitar
15-10-2009, 13:05
Hi rick,

I wouldn't go messing in the junction box on the outside wall, you may 'upset' the network and if you do VM may charge you. If you originally ordered TV call VM and demand they come and install it for you FOC.

HTH.

p.s Welcome to the Forum :welcome:

RobboEdin
15-10-2009, 18:18
Assuming that Virgin Media have supplied this TV box for self install, they should have sent you all appropriate splitters and cabling, with instructions to do this. I suggest you contact them and ask them to supply this.

nodrogd
15-10-2009, 19:37
They should send you a splitter and two made up cables, the idea being that you disconnect the cable from the modem and connect it to the splitter. Then use the cables provided to supply both boxes. I think the cables supplied are about 3 metres in length, so as long as the TV is fairly close by you won't have a problem.