PDA

View Full Version : Virgin doing work in my area bad anyone have issues after they have left?

davedarave01uk
13-10-2009, 09:17
Title is wrong lol I'm tired.

Virgin are doing some upgrades in my area, Ready for the 50meg Broadband.
Over the last week everything has been fine, I have lost connection for a few hours but that's expected. But yesterday afternoon after getting the internet back on I have been left with really low speeds.
Paying for 20meg and getting around 3MB from 4pm yesterday till now.

Has anyone else had anything like the above after they have been out?

Here is my router stats

Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address :
Serial Number :
Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c
Software Version : 2.111.1002
Hardware Version : 1.9

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 80
Downstream Frequency : 323000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 25.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 43.3 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 42.3 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

I normally hit 20Meg down and 760K/B Upload, However when doing a speedtest I get download but it crashes when trying to do an upload.

Thanks in advance

Ignitionnet
13-10-2009, 09:34
Your downstream power is obscenely high and needs a technician to reduce it.

davedarave01uk
13-10-2009, 09:50
Just phoned the number on the card they posted through, Engineer is going to come out and check the box sometime today. Alot better than ringing the 150 number up as I got straight through to an English worker who dealt with it straight away.

Result.

Thanks.

davedarave01uk
13-10-2009, 18:03
Update:

Got a phone call from the nice lady who I spoke to this morning about my issue above, The person she was gonna send out does not deal with my issue that I had lol, So they sent someone else out and he sorted my problem out and now my stats look alot better

Downstream Receive Power Level : 11.2 dBmV (Was 25.8 dBmV)
Downstream SNR : 42.7 dB

Peter_
13-10-2009, 19:18
Update:

Got a phone call from the nice lady who I spoke to this morning about my issue above, The person she was gonna send out does not deal with my issue that I had lol, So they sent someone else out and he sorted my problem out and now my stats look alot better

Downstream Receive Power Level : 11.2 dBmV (Was 25.8 dBmV)
Downstream SNR : 42.7 dB
Your receive power is still to high and you still need a tech to fix it, the nearer to zero the better.

davedarave01uk
13-10-2009, 19:25
Your receive power is still to high and you still need a tech to fix it, the nearer to zero the better.

The guy who came around says that the power I am getting is ideal, not sure now because if I ring them again they will most lokely fob me off.

Peter_
13-10-2009, 19:32
The guy who came around says that the power I am getting is ideal, not sure now because if I ring them again they will most lokely fob me off.
Have a look above my Avatar and read what it says.

I am one of those people on the other end of the phone and you need a engineer to adjust the Downstream as it is far from ideal.

xocemp
13-10-2009, 19:40
Moldova his Downstream Receive Power Level : 11.2 dBmV is ok since he's using Downstream Modulation : QAM256 .

Don't get so hung up on power levels dude, + 15 or 16 would be fine so long as the modem is stable and seeing no decrease in speeds.

browney
13-10-2009, 19:42
I'd take Moldova advice "Virginmedia Staff member"

As a reference my Downstream Receive Power Level is 0.4 dBmV

Peter_
13-10-2009, 19:44
Moldova his Downstream Receive Power Level : 11.2 dBmV is ok since he's using Downstream Modulation : QAM256 .

Don't get so hung up on power levels dude, + 15 or 16 would be fine so long as the modem is stable and seeing no decrease in speeds.
I suppose so if his speeds are fine and he is happy with the connection:tu:

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

I'd take Moldova advice "Virginmedia Staff member"

As a reference my Downstream Receive Power Level is 0.4 dBmV
Xocemp is staff and does know his stuff so if happy with your speeds the should be no need to call.

browney
13-10-2009, 19:45
[/COLOR]
Xocemp is staff and does know his stuff so if happy with your speeds the should be no need to call.

Yeah I seen it he must have replied while I was typing my message :erm:

davedarave01uk
13-10-2009, 21:36
I'm happy with speeds always have been since I joined, Only yesterday and this morning where I had problems, Engineer said they had not re-connected me correctly after they had finished the upgrade on the box.

I'll see how it goes and post if anything changes, thanks all for your help.

Dave

Peter_
13-10-2009, 21:37
I'm happy with speeds always have been since I joined, Only yesterday and this morning where I had problems, Engineer said they had not re-connected me correctly after they had finished the upgrade on the box.

I'll see how it goes and post if anything changes, thanks all for your help.

Dave
Nice one as long as your speeds are fine then do not worry about it.;)

davedarave01uk
13-10-2009, 21:43
Nice one as long as your speeds are fine then do not worry about it.;)

After being on 2mb with BT and paying same price as I am now, I'm not really one to complain about my speed that I'm getting now lol.

Ignitionnet
13-10-2009, 22:52

Xocemp is a bumhole :(

No particular reason for me saying that just I feel like it.

In this case, as usual the smartarse, he's spot on. SNR is very good and modem is fine for a non-DOCSIS 3 connection. If it were D3 it would be toasting the RF transceiver but it's oki for a single channel modem, so long as the signal quality doesn't suck operating tolerance is -13dBmV - +17dBmV for 256QAM EuroDOCSIS.