PDA

View Full Version : Why does the lease expire after 7 days?

Toilet-Duck
12-10-2009, 21:27
Does anyone know why they expire?

I just picked up a new WNDR3700 but after 7 days my internet disconnects and I need to reboot the modem / router...

Bang on time when it expires I lose my internet connection, is it not possible to have it NOT to expire?

I've tried setting my current IP address in the static field so that it doesn't expire but then I cant use the internet :confused:

Kymmy
12-10-2009, 21:31
The expiry is set via the VM dhcp server, you can set it manually but after it expires you're likely to get a conflict if someone else renews and grabs the IP (but you can use this method with fixed IP's if you have a bank and want to use more than one :p: )

It should though renew as soon as it expires..so I don't see how you're getting a problem.. Is the router losing the IP completely? If so then there's a problem somewhere

Ignitionnet
12-10-2009, 22:50
Does anyone know why they expire?

I just picked up a new WNDR3700 but after 7 days my internet disconnects and I need to reboot the modem / router...

Bang on time when it expires I lose my internet connection, is it not possible to have it NOT to expire?

I've tried setting my current IP address in the static field so that it doesn't expire but then I cant use the internet :confused:

Your router sucks or you have other issues, it should renew the lease 50% of the way through.

You can't set the IP address to be static unless you already have an IP lease for it.

EDIT: Oh and they expire so that if you aren't using the lease someone else can have it, else every time someone changed used a new bit of kit behind their modem they'd eat up a new IP address and the old one would just sit there unused. The people who allocate IP addresses, RIPE, would not be amused.

PlanBee
12-10-2009, 22:59
I had this when I set my firewall (ISA2006) to bloke the DHCP renew request. Don't remember the exact setting. Maybe worth a check !