PDA

View Full Version : will virgin media turn up on installation day?

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 14:25
hey guys just thought id post this up here all it is is that i have my installation day with virgin set for tomorrow i received my letter and welcome pack a fortnight ago telling me my installation day is the 12th of october(tomoroow) between 1pm and 6pm... i was just wondering are they reliable and will they turn up? its just i read online by a few people that sometimes they wont turn up could someone please write me back to let me know wether they or reliable or not its just iv gotta take the afternoon of work for them to get here and install everything for me

SnoopZ
11-10-2009, 14:27
I've never had a problem with them not turning up. You can always ring CS to double check if you're worried.

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 18:09
ah right i just rang thry said they will defo show up tomorrow

highway1
11-10-2009, 19:00
they rang me said be there in 30 mins , come within 21 mins.

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 19:01
ah cool they are good service then...did they turn up on the scheduled install day?

highway1
11-10-2009, 19:04
on right date and with in 1pm to 6pm time. think time was 3:42:pm

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 19:13
yeah thats what time they said for me between one and six thanks for yourhelp do they install everythng there and then they dont check it out then have to come back another day or some crap do they?

highway1
11-10-2009, 19:48
if its for install for tv they install and nail round and do a quick test for u .

if its 1st installed modem get sink and ready led on modem ( they might set up account but never for me was a few year ago me ) then u do ur email by the details they post or give u details .

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 19:53
lol sorry i got a bit confused wat you meant then am getting fibre optic 20mb bband and the tv tomorrow mate will they install both of them and be ready to go tomoiorw?

SnoopZ
11-10-2009, 19:54
lol sorry i got a bit confused wat you meant then am getting fibre optic 20mb bband and the tv tomorrow mate will they install both of them and be ready to go tomoiorw?

Yes

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 20:01
ah right cheers for that was just making sure cheers for your help its very much appreciated

highway1
11-10-2009, 20:04
fibre optic (red light) in green box then they convert to rg6 ( tv coax ) to ur wall u dont get the red light on the end of the wire .

aiso u will get the speed u order and not as bt lots of loss
dont get any lost in download speed virgin ( traffic manger yes )) just the time and download ltd if u download a lot think 2gb .

50 meg is super for a few quid more.

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 21:53
cool im gonna stick with 20 for now but they will install everything tomorrow and everything will beworking and ready to go tomorrow wont it?

is 20mb fast too tho?

highway1
11-10-2009, 22:05
yes 100% if new to virgin all u do is setup account.
use to be pid number and input and setup email and password .
if any problems is 151 on virgin phone . or if other number ask teck man as not got the 0800 or 0845.

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 22:08
so yer mean 100 percent that everything will be installed and working for me tomoorow do you mean?sorry to be a pain im just a little confused at the minute

highway1
11-10-2009, 22:15
he come puts wire in . plug in modem ,
teck rings then to send sigital to modem and read out the mac address modem then resets. the led on modem come on the sync and read if pluged in pc
normal is when he is there due to possible lots install`s on the day might take 1min to 5 hours . mine was when he was there.

he gives u a booklet or use to how to install if need and cd if they still do.

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 22:17
ah right i get what yer mean yeah so it could take a while between 1 min and 5 hours but either way it should all be working by tomorrow yes?

highway1
11-10-2009, 22:22
best to ask the installer . 1 min to 5 hours to switch the modem on . installer will tell u on the day if problems .

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 22:25
once the modem is switched on will the internet begin to work?

joglynne
11-10-2009, 22:38
99.9 % sure that everything should be installed and working tomorrow. Nobody can promise you 100% as things can happen that we can not predict but you can come back on this thread if you have any problems that you want our help with.

Just put the kettle on when the engineer arrives and offer him a cuppa, I understand that the odd choccy biccy is also welcome. :)

highway1
11-10-2009, 22:41
i say it slow . he comes and installs modem. he rings to switch on modem , normal is on right away but due to there work load u might need to wait. 1min to 5 hours.

if the snyc and ready is lit all u do is input ur address name address and >pid if they still use< make email address and password and modem resets.

1 min and internet is on.

b4 install should have rang teck line for quick info. b4 u ordered the service.

coiled_viper_kee
11-10-2009, 22:43
thnx

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

99.9 % sure that everything should be installed and working tomorrow. Nobody can promise you 100% as things can happen that we can not predict but you can come back on this thread if you have any problems that you want our help with.

Just put the kettle on when the engineer arrives and offer him a cuppa, I understand that the odd choccy biccy is also welcome. :)

oh yeah you cant beat a good old choccy biccy ;) cheers for the help very much appreciated :D

horseman
12-10-2009, 03:48
i say it slow . he comes and installs modem. he rings to switch on modem , normal is on right away but due to there work load u might need to wait. 1min to 5 hours..

......and I'll say it even slower with personal experience of 3 installations:

1. If you're lucky he comes and installs modem placing correct splitter/attenuator between CM and STB while ensuring the SNR/power levels are optimised with correct tapping in street cab and doesn't leave levels at extreme limits (or actually exceeding them).
In any event you're so relieved he actually eventually turned up within 1 week of the original install date that you politely ask for his + managers/supervisors name/tele.

2. If your luck holds the authentication server is also available so you don't have to subsequently personally ring and listen to banal overly loud music while repeatedly queuing to activate and have to repeat this process frequently over 24+hrs as you'll never get the promised call back to confirm activation is authenticated and you can now power on your modem.

3. Assuming both above have succeeded and you haven't had to experience the entertaining delights of VM's offshore call centre to arrange a return tech visit for several weeks later(after typical 10 days delay for them to send you a new CM to replace the perfectly servicable one you already have and repeating the activation cycle again)then you should consider immediately benchmarking:

3.1 CM config/error log pages via 192.168.100.1

3.2 Traceroute,pathping to bbc.co.uk (ideally you may need 1000 pings to check packet loss doesn't exceed say 3%)

3.3 Perform speed test with concurrent download from VM Gamesfile server choosing at least 2 large files to give you time to note d/l speed after 30 secs before terminating both downloads.

3.4 Optionally for amusement you can also run test on various other UK speedtest sites.

3.5 If 3.3 results in getting within 75% of your service tier speed then repeat all benchmarks monthly for 3 months then 6 monthly thereafter.
Otherwise you may have to run these tests initially more often with direct connection to CM (avoiding any router you may have inserted).

3.6 Particularly look at deltas to upstream,downstream power,snr and how many t3/unicast/ranging errors you're experiencing. In the unlikely event your install was correctly optimised then ideally only 1 T3/T4 error per month and +/-5dB(mV) max drift on snr/power after 3 months should leave you experiencing a superlative service from VM...... unless you incur frequent false STM triggers or CMTS/UBR congestion / utilisation.....

3.7 What your chasing of course is a rapidly diminishing 14day(?) window to cancel or downgrade your BB to lower service tier via Retentions before getting locked into 12month contract and the subsequent monthly battle for refunds on your account.

4. To be fair of course if you have a timely,tidy and fault/stress free install with satisfactory result from initial benchmarks in 3. then you should consider writing a letter of commendation to VM mentioning the engineer/manager name you obtained in 1. above as such exemplary workmanship should be actively encouraged and appreciated.
However if you sadly have misfortune to incur a less than superlative install and are left with somewhat problematic connectivity then you should consider using VM newsgroups(specifically virginmedia.support.broadband.cable) who actually will provide excellent support and diagnostic guidance, checking STM status and UBR utilisation if applicable together with even booking an engineer if required.

Oh....and welcome to VirginMedia....enjoy......

RB800
15-10-2009, 10:50
They didn't turn up for me...
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/33656727-installation-tomorrow.html

dizzi
16-10-2009, 12:52
They seem to have stepped up the actually turning up for appointments thing since the days of being NTL to be honest - I had dreadful problems back then with appointments not being kept (although the girl in the call centre who suggested putting a bacon sandwich and hot cup of coffee on the front step to flush one of them out at least did have a sense of humour) - but lately when I've called them out, for a house move installation and a couple of days ago for a V+/additional box being fitted - they have kept to their word and showed when they were booked (was really impressed with the care the guy took fitting the additional box upstairs this week actually - despite the fact the girl he was calling to activate it all was, well obviously not the sharpest pencil in the box and had managed to deactivate my old box instead of keeping it on the account).

Corpy
10-09-2010, 19:21
Hello

Well my 1st impression of Virgin media is VERY VERY VERY POOR

Ordered my XXL 50mb 4 weeks ago they told me my area supported it and next door have the same pack !

So today was the day Virgin was turning up to install the new broadband

in the 4 weeks i have had no contact at all from Virgin ! Called them today at 12:30 to check what time. The guy told me between 1pm-6pm after i asked him again he said about 3:30pm. so ok cool ! 5:00pm still not here phone them again!

Women says oh erm ill call you back ! 5:45pm she calls back to tell me they wont be coming out and i was rebooked in for 9th Oct that 4 weeks away ! after telling her that is just not on as i work from home and need my internet i wanted the date bringing forward or i will have to bill them for my loss of earnings she put me onto his manager who said sorry about 50 times !

Still not happy i asked him why ! he said they need to dig up the road and put the cable in !

I said Why you told me this area was supported and next door use your service !

His reply was i dont know thats what the guy told him on the phone ! what a load of Rubbish !

After telling him i would be sending him a bill for all my loss he said oh we can offer you a dongle untill its sorted ! yeh right ok a dongle that is capped and would be no use at all to me !

He then went onto say they need to dig up the roads and path to put the cable in and the is far away ! at witch point i just laughed ! the box is about 15ft from the property !

He said i dont know i only know the information the enginer gave him ! so i said he must be brain dead because its all a load of BS!

and when i asked why they never check 4 weeks ago or 3 weeks ago or 2 weeks ago he had no reply but sorry !

Sorry is not going to get me my money back my Wasted day of sitting in the house !

So yeh glad thats of my chest ! VERY VERY POOR service :mad:

To the pub now to get drunk and talk about how crap and pathetic Virgin Media is ! Im so glad i kept my Sky+hd and never took there Pack with the internet ! i would have no TV ever !!!!!

POOR POOR POOR POOR -500/10:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

RobboEdin
11-09-2010, 12:35
Hello

Ordered my XXL 50mb 4 weeks ago they told me my area supported it and next door have the same pack !

in the 4 weeks i have had no contact at all from Virgin ! Called them today at 12:30 to check what time. The guy told me between 1pm-6pm after i asked him again he said about 3:30pm. so ok cool ! 5:00pm still not here phone them again!

Women says oh erm ill call you back ! 5:45pm she calls back to tell me they wont be coming out and i was rebooked in for 9th Oct that 4 weeks away ! after telling her that is just not on as i work from home and need my internet i wanted the date bringing forward or i will have to bill them for my loss of earnings she put me onto his manager who said sorry about 50 times !

Still not happy i asked him why ! he said they need to dig up the road and put the cable in !

His reply was i dont know thats what the guy told him on the phone ! what a load of Rubbish !

After telling him i would be sending him a bill for all my loss he said oh we can offer you a dongle untill its sorted ! yeh right ok a dongle that is capped and would be no use at all to me !

He then went onto say they need to dig up the roads and path to put the cable in and the is far away ! at witch point i just laughed ! the box is about 15ft from the property !

He said i dont know i only know the information the enginer gave him ! so i said he must be brain dead because its all a load of BS!

and when i asked why they never check 4 weeks ago or 3 weeks ago or 2 weeks ago he had no reply but sorry !

Sorry is not going to get me my money back my Wasted day of sitting in the house !

To the pub now to get drunk and talk about how crap and pathetic Virgin Media is ! Im so glad i kept my Sky+hd and never took there Pack with the internet ! i would have no TV ever !!!!!

While I understand your frustration, you have no recourse whatsover for any loss of earnings.

Virgin Media provide a residential service which, while allowing a certain amount of work usage, does not compensate you for any loss associated with the service being unavailable for any reason.

If your work and earnings are reliant on an internet connection then you should be looking for a business internet service.

Digital Fanatic
11-09-2010, 16:31
Hello

:wavey: :welcome: to the forum :waving:

Ok... sounds like there is a contruction issue, probably a blocked swept tee or collapsed duct to the property, so it's not BS as you are making out.

The problem here is that the pre-install team should have reported back and VM should have advised they need to move the install date.

You are not going to get anything for loss of earnings from a residential service (this is in the T&C's you signed), but i should imagine you will get a goodwill gesture/credit on to your account once installed. You would need to speak to Customer Care regarding this though.

Let us know how you get on :)

A[L]C
13-09-2010, 10:39
Hi Digital Fanatic,

Sorry to thread hijack, but you mention the pre-install team. Do any of them come on here? I have concerns about my install - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33669322-maidenhead.html

Thanks, and hope you have a good day