PDA

View Full Version : 50mb Connection Dropping Constant BUT At Random Times.

herby247
08-10-2009, 22:48
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 47400000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 51.00 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Had 50 mb with the d-link n router for about 6 weeks now.
Everything i am running is ALL wireless.... desktop pc, vm freedom netbook, xbox 360 and ipod touch.
Over the last 4 weeks the connection has decided to randomly drop off for no apparent reason, at first i just put it down to VM doing work, now i am not so sure.
Most times it had happened i rebooted the modem & the router and then it was fine again like nothing had happened.
The VERY nice tech who done my 50mb install, gave me his number and told me to call him if i had any issues. (which i was very grateful for)!
Reluctant to call and bother him at work, i finally bit the bullet and called him, told him my story and he said he was currently at a customers house with the EXACT same prob on the 50 mb.
He told me to reboot the router ONLY as i had being doing the modem too, even though ALL the lights were showing perfect workin order on the modem.
So i done this and low and behold it came back on, so he said he would swap over the router.
As happy as i am at that, browsing these forums it seems like this problem is becoming very common, and i am wondering if a new router will solve my problem?
P.s i am in the Renfrewshire area.

xocemp
08-10-2009, 23:03
Depending on the the cleanliness of the network, that upstream could be deemed a tad scabby.
Best call support and do that call at 8am, you'll have more chances of getting a UK advisor.

Sephiroth
08-10-2009, 23:42
From my lofty position as a Draytek router user, I'd like to share my subversive thoughts with you.

VM provide a router (IMHO) to regulate as much as possible the troubleshooting side of their business. Their staff are supposed to be trained on VM's chosen routers and VM might even have commissioned custom firmware for their own diagnostic purposes.

The other business driver for VM would be to find the cheapest supply deal for their routers. So you'll get low end devices that in theory should be OK for the majority but in practice are close to crap (IMHO) as so many posts reveal.

If the routers weren't crap, VM would be able to remotely grope the router and put everything right. I'm not sure if they've been that smart with the firmware special, but that's what they should have done.

What you don't read on this forum is many complaints about higher end, privately bought routers which always work out of the box first time.

So,nice the engineer might be, but based on what we read here, your second, third and fourth router might be no better.

Of course this rant would need to be reconsidered in your case if it turned out to be something upstream from your router!

Ignitionnet
09-10-2009, 12:00
The 50M routers have stock firmware.

Sephiroth
09-10-2009, 22:25
The 50M routers have stock firmware.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=148146 begs to differ. Maybe different now - dunno.

Peter_
09-10-2009, 22:32
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=148146 begs to differ. Maybe different now - dunno.
That is not the router we issue to 20Mb/50Mb customers that is now only for 10Mb and has never been used on for 50Mb.

The 2 routers used for 50Mb are the Netgear WNR2000 N router with stock firmware and the D Link DIR615 N router again with stock firmware.

The Netgear WGR615v9 does come with embedded Virginmedia firmware and cannot be upgraded without the possibility of bricking the router in the process.

Sephiroth
09-10-2009, 22:37
That is not the router we issue to 20Mb/50Mb customers that is now only for 10Mb and has never been used on for 50Mb.

The 2 routers used for 50Mb are the Netgear WNR2000 N router with stock firmware and the D Link DIR615 N router again with stock firmware.

The Netgear WGR615v9 does come with embedded Virginmedia firmware and cannot be upgraded without the possibility of bricking the router in the process.
Fine - so I stand partly corrected.

What I'm really after knowing is whether VM tech can grope the router through the modem for diagnostic purposes?

Peter_
09-10-2009, 22:47
Fine - so I stand partly corrected.

What I'm really after knowing is whether VM tech can grope the router through the modem for diagnostic purposes?
No the modem only learns the MAC address of the product it is connected to and our tools only see as far as the modem.

We have to rely on you the customer to tell us what the router is doing and even then only the basics are supported under the support scope, we cannot configure the router beyond getting you connected and online.