PDA

View Full Version : no signal and very slow connection

smudger72
08-10-2009, 11:30
Can anyone assist me with this problem? I am in the pa16 area and for the last few months my cable modem has either been dropping signal or the connection is very very slow. I have contacted technical support on quite a few occasions and get the usual, remove power from modem, if connected to router, connect cable directly to modem or reboot computer.
The problem with this problem determination is, this is ok for an inexperienced user, and should resolve problem but not in my case.
Also nearly all tech support agents advise they can order an engineer to attend to investigate, but this is always 3-7 days later. So paying virgin for an intermittent 20mb poor connection is bad service as they seemingly cannot get any appointments in the days after the call is made.
So have an engineer appointment now for monday 12th october but will have to put up with a poor service from virgin
Does anyone else know if there is a problem in this area?

Peter_
08-10-2009, 11:33
What model modem do you have and what speed are you on.

smudger72
08-10-2009, 11:35
HI, I am on the 20mb connection and have VIRGIN MEDIA 250 Ambit Modem

Peter_
08-10-2009, 11:39
Ok click here and post your Downstream and Upstream power levels, do not post the MAC address

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

smudger72
08-10-2009, 12:20
Ok, I will post these details once I get home provided of course i have a signal

smudger72
09-10-2009, 07:59
Well, I could not post my upstream and downstream levels as I had no connection last night, just for a change. Yet again another night at home with no connection.

lookingback
09-10-2009, 16:06
Afternoon smudger72 Like you I to live in the PA16 area and have been experiencing the same issue as yourself dropping signal, slow speeds,etc. I have also contacted support and been visited by the same engineer twice first instance I had my modem changed from a 250 to a 256, engineer checked all modem settings informed me that there was some dropout and this maybe due to a faulty connection at the main juction box at bottom of street and another engineer would be sent to resolve this. Things sort of got better but not as they should be for a week again another call another visit from the engineer who had installed modem again he informed me of single dropout, and just to ensure it wasnt my PC he used his laptop via the modem and he too suffered dropout of signal. Was told this be reported to faults as this was a ongoing issue for customer and should be resolved asap. During this I have complained twice to report this and finally got a call from VM got asked to do this send all details of tracert, netstat via email when connection drops for to be anylised was also asked to do this and that with PC just to check everything was ok that was 16 days ago problem still excist I have called back to complain again to the person dealing with my account and havnt heard since.....so your not the only one in this area having same issue and I thought it was just me.....Now does anyone know of a good hair surgeon to replace the hair I have pulled out trying to sort this lol :mad:

smudger72
09-10-2009, 18:17
Thanks for replying to my post, and it is very annoying that you get the same advice everytime a call is made to support with an engineer appointment 4-5 days later normally. I too had my modem replaced about 8 months ago due being offered deals to go from 2mb-10mb-20mb broadband, but as I said for the last 6 months or so I have had this problem continually. I await an engineer to appear on monday 12th october, but I don't expect the problem to be resolved either. I was offered a paltry £7 as a good will gesture to be taken from my next bill, due to these ongoing problem. You are right about the hair loss too. I have managed to get online just now but this is the first time since last sunday at home.
Great service by virgin media

axelgs1
13-10-2009, 12:08
Hi, I am new to the forum and reading this thread prompted me to say what I have been experiencing with Virgin M. Upgraded to free 10mb 6 weeks ago. Ever since then I have experienced slow speeds after 5.30 pm to 0012am..974kbps to 1209kbps. Been through all the hoops to India, 2 engineers, replacement modem, umpteen phone calls, refunds and compensation, choose my type of music on customer service VM phone, raised voices, patronisation, cut offs, redials, through the hoops again, Urdu lessons, swotting the forums, chasing info, waiting til I got swine flu etc, etc... Finally contension ration issue admitance from VM.

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

Decided to cancel but after the nice lady convinced me to talk to Broadband support they were great. They were not economical with the truth, verified the issue was CRatio and was being looked into. No date or time span for resolvement but at least they verified my concern. I would advise all people having this problem once you have checked modem, wireless or hard wired for problems. Go to cancel account, then go to BB support they have all the secret info the people in India or customer services dont have.

smudger72
13-10-2009, 12:23
sorry to hear you also have an issue like mine, some news on my issues, an engineer arrived yesterday afternoon and verified my modem signal was very low as was only 15db, which is well outside norm of 35db to 55db. He replaced cabling and also modem itself and tested, problem seems to have been resolved, but i don't want to count my chickens as this has happened several times before. Indian broadband support are not great to deal with as they all appear to be reading from a script and cannot seem to use initiative. Also if you frequently download they seem to slow your speed at these times, so others users get the benefit.

axelgs1
14-10-2009, 15:21
Hi smudger

Thanks for your reply.....hows the speeds? are they ok now. mines still slow in the evenings. will give the engineers till monday to sought the UBR out then if not back to the compo office for a refund or something. will keep you all posted

axe.