PDA

View Full Version : Problems registering new VM modem

max2009
07-10-2009, 07:24
About a week ago, my virgin media modem was faulty (ready light flashing), and so a technician changed my modem. I was told the internal system used to register/activate the modem was down and I would have to call later to register it. I've done this, but now I'm told there is an internal fault in the VM software causing the old modem to be still registered and the new one to fail registration.

I'm calling everyday to find out if this has been repaired, but I'm told to wait, as engineers are working on this fault.

I'm wondering if anyone has come accross this fault before and found a resolution. Sometimes there are simple tricks/solutions that can remedy a complicated problem.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

---------- Post added at 06:24 ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 ----------

Forgot to mention that when I try to access internet, I get the "please click here to activate broadband message", and when I click I get the "You have landed here because we have not recognised your system..." and I get choice of a VM logo and an NTL logo. If I click there it tells me to call support to register my modem.

Peter_
07-10-2009, 07:28
Call after 0800 to get a UK call centre and ask for an update and a timescale for a fix.

max2009
07-10-2009, 09:20
Was told there's a national fault which is due to be resolved today. But I've been told something similar almost everyday since Friday.
Thanks for the suggestions.

max2009
08-10-2009, 08:36
Well, the time has passed, and still no resolution. I am doubting VM are telling the truth because they say it's a national fault, yet there is no mention of it on their site or on the recorded fault message. Really welcome any feedbacks!! I suppose if this was an easy one you guys would be all over this post...

Peter_
08-10-2009, 12:31
Well, the time has passed, and still no resolution. I am doubting VM are telling the truth because they say it's a national fault, yet there is no mention of it on their site or on the recorded fault message. Really welcome any feedbacks!! I suppose if this was an easy one you guys would be all over this post...
When did you last call and what description did they give for the fault, did they say it was stuck in the walled garden or anything else.

max2009
08-10-2009, 20:21
We last called about an hour ago. The description varies from one operator to another. When they read our notes on our account they say that there is a fault with their server preventing the modem to register.

The "Walled garden" is the place the modem was when the engineer came. He used those exact words on the phone to the technicians. But there was a fault at the time preventing them to register it. Which apparently was repaired, but the modem still didn't get registered because of a fault at another level in the system.

Sometimes I'm told this is a national fault. Sometimes I'm told it's a rare condition and that engineers are working on it. Most of the time though I get a very high level description of the problem, as I don't really think they understand the fault. But none are actually able to comment on the fault when we don't give our own details. So it cannot be a general fault, as a UK operator led me to believe. She pretended to read from a national fault update and told me it was scheduled to be repaired by midnight that day. Unless she was genuinely thinking my fault was related to something else.

Anyways. We're still in the dark here. The only positive change is they will send another modem in case it will make a difference. But somehow I doubt it will make a difference. So we are looking at moving to Sky.

I'm giving this another 5 working days (maximum time for modem to come if they sent it when they said they did).

Thanks for the replies!

Peter_
08-10-2009, 20:29
We last called about an hour ago. The description varies from one operator to another. When they read our notes on our account they say that there is a fault with their server preventing the modem to register.

The "Walled garden" is the place the modem was when the engineer came. He used those exact words on the phone to the technicians. But there was a fault at the time preventing them to register it. Which apparently was repaired, but the modem still didn't get registered because of a fault at another level in the system.

Sometimes I'm told this is a national fault. Sometimes I'm told it's a rare condition and that engineers are working on it. Most of the time though I get a very high level description of the problem, as I don't really think they understand the fault. But none are actually able to comment on the fault when we don't give our own details. So it cannot be a general fault, as a UK operator led me to believe. She pretended to read from a national fault update and told me it was scheduled to be repaired by midnight that day. Unless she was genuinely thinking my fault was related to something else.

Anyways. We're still in the dark here. The only positive change is they will send another modem in case it will make a difference. But somehow I doubt it will make a difference. So we are looking at moving to Sky.

I'm giving this another 5 working days (maximum time for modem to come if they sent it when they said they did).

Thanks for the replies!
Thank you for the information about what was said by the agents, it looks like this has been raised to IT department who are the only department able to fix this type of issue.

Have you been sent a new modem.

max2009
09-10-2009, 08:24
They did say it was raised to the IT department. And they did say they sent me a modem. Which will take another 2-4 days to arrive according to their predictions.

Peter_
09-10-2009, 13:22
They did say it was raised to the IT department. And they did say they sent me a modem. Which will take another 2-4 days to arrive according to their predictions.

It does not always work sending out a replacement modem as it is a provisioning issue on the Virginmedia side, so when it arrives call 151 and give them the mac address of the sticker on the bottom and let us know if it works.

max2009
20-10-2009, 06:07
Any other suggestions? Still no modem has arrived. Still no improvement on activation of old one! Would it helped if I cancelled my service with Virgin and reapplied?

bbxxl
20-10-2009, 10:42
See my thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33656768-3-days-and-still-no-activation-page-3.html#post34893759
I've still not got it resolved yet, it's not much help but at least you're not the only one.

RedDragon
21-10-2009, 19:02
Ive been told by our broadband tech support that it is a national problem but only affecting certain customers, it is being worked on but no one can give me an idea of when it will be fixed.

Ben B
21-10-2009, 19:14
I got a new modem today and it was activated by support with no problem. I did have the activation screen problem but a simple switching off of the modem, router and pc then switching them back on in that order fixed it. Mustn't be affecting everyone