PDA

View Full Version : Virgin rubbish 20 meg

gianipower
05-10-2009, 21:45
The night befire I done this I left quite a few downloads running but on the day as u can see my sapeed at 5:30 was very good I then turned my pc off for the day came home tried it and it looks like they are capping me when they feel like it, I was told the punishment for using too much internet was for 5 hours.

It truly is rubbish company to use as they are so unpredcitable.

I wonder if they restrict the tv boxes if people watch too much tv?.

I would go to 50meg but it wont be long before they start capping that too.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/729/crapvirgin.jpg

gobbledigook
05-10-2009, 23:13
doesn't look like you're being managed because if you were your download would only be 5meg and your upload speed is fine. so i would look to other things on your network? are you connecting wirelessly? this could potentially cause huge packet loss if the wireless signal is low.

check here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html) and post your signal levels. Or call tech support and see if your UBR is overloaded.

gianipower
06-10-2009, 06:45
Does this help?.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.3 dBmV

Downstream SNR : 40.0 dB
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4

Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 49.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

It means nothing to me but hopefully someone can help, Gobbledigok I do have wireless but at the time it wasnt turned on.

The green box for the street is 10 feet from my house I dont know if that makes any difference I am also at the very end of the provision for cable at the end of town, The onlt service I have from Virgin is thankfully the internet connection,

bomber_g
06-10-2009, 10:06
Hi there, If you would please PM me the mac of the device you have plugged in behind your modem NOT YOUR MODEMS MAC!!! I will take a look for you

Also Id try plugging your PC / laptop / whatever directly into your modem and retest to confirm there is an issue with your modem and not your own equipment

gianipower
06-10-2009, 12:26
What do you mean when u say plugged in behind it?.

The cable comes from outside in to the modem and in to the computer.

I have a Netgear wireless router but its rarely used.

Just a thought though there are 3 cables coming in to the housea ll splitting up from outside and in to different holes in the house I think the previous occupants must have had tv and modems all over the house could that be affecting the signal to the modem?.

RobboEdin
06-10-2009, 13:25
What advice have Virgin Media Technical Support given, either via phone or the appropriate newsgroup (virginmedia.support.broadband.cable)?

Russ
06-10-2009, 15:16
In case of any doubts, bomber_g is a confirmed VM staff member.

bomber_g
06-10-2009, 15:56
If you have a number of splitters, try screwing your modem straight into the coax that comes off the distribution point on your wall - those splitters cause up to 5db of noise, and are prone to being knocked loose and damaged

ps. i meant the mac address of the device that the ethernet cable coming out your modem plugs into. Ie is if it is your computer, you need to go to

start>run>cmd> ipconfig /all

at the bottom of the info you have the 'physical address' of your NIC card, PM me this and ill take a look when i have time

gianipower
08-10-2009, 17:58
OK I have cut off all the splitters went to the brown box outside and took the splitter things off leaving just one connection to my modem.

I DO not have a landline so phoning NThell willcost me a hell of a lot of money on a mobile most of which will be spent pressing buttons and on hold listening to music.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7136/gtetsworse.jpg

within minutes it can go up or can go down I have downloaded the latest drivers for me lan card and still its the same.

Im in the 4th month of a 12 month contract with them I cant wait until its over there was a time once when they were the best with the cable connection but since it became virgin it seems to have got worse.