PDA

View Full Version : co-ax cable from street cab.

hemelvirgin
04-10-2009, 13:36
hi,

a take it the length of co-ax from the street cab. to my property has a direct impact on the broadband (20meg) performance,just like copper adsl.

my nearest cab. (has a man hole with cable next to it) is approx 30 meters away.

the installer will need to run the co-ax from the cabinet i take it ???

webcrawler2050
04-10-2009, 13:41
Cable from the cab yes and no I dont think it does as your going on to a fibre back bone.

Jon T
04-10-2009, 13:51
Co-ax like any other transmission medium suffers from attenuation. Virgin control the power level reaching your property by placing you on a higher or lower tap depending on a) Length/Quality of co-ax run, b) Amount of splits once it gets to your property(how many devices are connected to it).

So you shouldn't see problem with speed because of distance as you do with ADSL.

hemelvirgin
04-10-2009, 14:26
hi,

thanks for your replies.

fresh install .

we are having the full works phone,tv & internet from VM.

i have my hub upstairs on a bt line direct from bt's NTE,so will want the internet direct to there.

front room access for phone & tv input.

will want a phone cable to were the VM hub is installed also as we are signing up for the VIP package so a free extra VM+ box will need to be installed in the upstairs bedroom.

i guess the installer will realise he has his work cut out.hopefully his/her job ticket will give him an idea what is involved as it looks like i won't see a contract before the installation date.

should imagine a lot of people have a similar set up.

Chris
04-10-2009, 14:47
A virgin in Hemel ... now I've seen everything. :Yikes: ;)

The installer will put everything where you want it, providing it doesn't present any cabling difficulties. Where possible they like to go round the outside of the property then straight through an external wall to where you want a service installed. They will do internal cabling as well but don't expect them to go under floorboards or through the loft. If that's what you need, the best you can do is lift the boards yourself and be prepared to go into any awkward spaces to pull the cable for him.

Other than that there should be no complications, and, to answer your original question, due to the way the cable network is set up you should get the quoted speed regardless of how far you are from the street cab.

Jon T
04-10-2009, 14:59
hemelvirgin, i'm sure you realise this, but you do know that the virgin broadband signal doesn't flow along the virgin phone line don't you? As such, you don't need the phoneline coming into the house at the same entry point as the virgin coax that supplies the TV/Internet.

hemelvirgin
04-10-2009, 15:26
hi,

thanks for replies.

yes a virgin in hemel though that might bring a smile to someone :shocked:

yes i know 2 cables will be run ,but they will both end up at the same access point on my external wall then i guess a co-ax/splitter will allow the cables to run to the different locations.

it seems the installers will do there best for the NEW customers.

will update after the switchover.

ps.
hemel is an up & coming town ,pass it on

Chris
04-10-2009, 16:04
Nah, Hemel has been on a downward spiral since I left. ;)

The phone line and the coax come sheathed into a single cable, although the copper inside is entirely separate. When it reaches the front of your house, it is terminated in an external wall box and the phone line and coax are split out inside it. From there, the coax can be further split to allow as many coax lines as necessary to run round the house to the various places you need your services. The phone line will be run round to the point where you want the master socket. Ideally this should be adjacent to the existing BT master, so any internal phone extensions running from the BT master can easily be switched over to the VM master.

nodrogd
05-10-2009, 19:22
ps.
hemel is an up & coming town ,pass it on

Oh sure. No hospital, no industry (except for the oil depot their rebuilding. Buy your blast proof bunker here!) and one of the richest councils in the country, because they never spend anything.

I love it here !