PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Fibre questions (wall connections, previous installations, etc.)

Shaolyen
03-10-2009, 19:15
I'm moving into a house next week, so I thought I'd give Virgin a call to arrange broadband installation. (50Mbit.) Apparently because the previous occupant hadn't canceled their account I'd have to wait until October 26th before they could send someone over to install the services for me. However, I was told that the previous owner had broadband installed, which got me thinking - if his account is still active until the 26th, maybe I'd be able to use it until then? I called Virgin to ask if the connection would still be active and if I could use it, and they told me I could but it would be "restricted". When I asked exactly what that means, he said he didn't know.

My questions are:
1. I'm guessing the previous owner took his router, so what exactly is installed on the wall with Virgin Fiber - just a box with an ethernet port? Can I just buy a replacement cable router and continue using the connection?
2. Does anyone know what this "restricted" mode is for connections pending cancellation?

Druchii
03-10-2009, 19:20
It's not fibre into your home, it's Co-Ax cable.

They also use a modem which connects to the Co-Ax.

In short: you probably can't connect up to it.

Shaolyen
03-10-2009, 19:25
Is the cable modem wall mounted? (Trying to think what the probability is that the previous owner took it with him.)

Raistlin
03-10-2009, 19:26
From memory, most of those devices have the keyhole fixings in the bottom that would allow you to wall mount it if you wanted to.

Druchii
03-10-2009, 19:29
The modem is not wall mounted, i don't think they can be either.

The previous owner would have taken the modem with them.

webcrawler2050
03-10-2009, 19:30
I'm moving into a house next week, so I thought I'd give Virgin a call to arrange broadband installation. (50Mbit.) Apparently because the previous occupant hadn't canceled their account I'd have to wait until October 26th before they could send someone over to install the services for me. However, I was told that the previous owner had broadband installed, which got me thinking - if his account is still active until the 26th, maybe I'd be able to use it until then? I called Virgin to ask if the connection would still be active and if I could use it, and they told me I could but it would be "restricted". When I asked exactly what that means, he said he didn't know.

My questions are:
1. I'm guessing the previous owner took his router, so what exactly is installed on the wall with Virgin Fiber - just a box with an ethernet port? Can I just buy a replacement cable router and continue using the connection?
2. Does anyone know what this "restricted" mode is for connections pending cancellation?

It's likely, he's moved and not paid his bill - thus, his modem would of been suspended / server been suspended. Thus there is a probability there is no service.

Ignitionnet
03-10-2009, 21:00
OP - I'd try and work out just what they are talking about. It sounds very strange indeed the idea of allowing you to simply use the broadband connection, I would suspect they are referring to the TV if it's there, and you being able to receive 'M' TV - Freeview. There would be all kinds of issues with allowing you to use a cable modem under someone else's name so I struggle to get that.

BenMcr will probably be able to advise further.

Shaolyen
03-10-2009, 22:39
I'm only getting a phone line and broadband, and I specifically asked if I'd be able to use the connection that's there until the last guy's account expires - he said yes, but it'd be "restricted" - but even so, he definitely said the connection was active. If he doesn't leave the modem behind, maybe it's worth a punt to pick up a cheap old cable modem on eBay.

webcrawler2050
03-10-2009, 22:47
Well, even is he does leave it behind theres a chance, they will have barred it from the network. Infact, theres a strong chance. Personally, just wait. Using the kit, thats not in your name and belongs to VM could slip into the lines of fraud etc

Druchii
03-10-2009, 22:58
I'm only getting a phone line and broadband, and I specifically asked if I'd be able to use the connection that's there until the last guy's account expires - he said yes, but it'd be "restricted" - but even so, he definitely said the connection was active. If he doesn't leave the modem behind, maybe it's worth a punt to pick up a cheap old cable modem on eBay.
Modem from eBay will not work, it's not linked to the account active at that address etc.

Tis also illegal.