PDA

View Full Version : PCguard and Windows Defender

Fivegoats
01-10-2009, 18:06
I'm a newbie so hopefully this is in the right section of the forum.

I've been running PCguard without problems on a Vista(now SP2) laptop since February, with Windows Defender turned off. An update for Windows Defender arrived today & installed OK and prompts me to ask: can I run both or are they liable to trip over each other?

Thanks for any help.

Xtinguish
01-10-2009, 19:19
I use Windows Defender with Avast and find that's the best config.

Fivegoats
04-10-2009, 10:45
I use Windows Defender with Avast and find that's the best config.

Thanks for the advice. PCguard has been OK but as Defender is built into Vista I thought I'd use it as well if no conflicts. If I can find more on this, or maybe just try it and see, I'll add more to this thread. Thanks again for your reply.

Peter_
04-10-2009, 13:43
PC Guard and Windows Defender work fine on my daughters machine.

webcrawler2050
04-10-2009, 15:10
I'm a newbie so hopefully this is in the right section of the forum.

I've been running PCguard without problems on a Vista(now SP2) laptop since February, with Windows Defender turned off. An update for Windows Defender arrived today & installed OK and prompts me to ask: can I run both or are they liable to trip over each other?

Thanks for any help.

PC Guard is pants and is Windows Defender. Use Commodo - it's free and one of the best out there in my eyes.

Haighy
08-10-2009, 01:51
Micro$oft have just released MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials, google it), which is a free AV product. Some think Norton et al should be worried.
My son in law installed it on his computer, after removing Norton 360, and it found quite a few things that Norton hadn't.
Worth a look.
Anybody else played with it ?

Edit. How unhelpful was (google it) ?
Sorry :-)

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/

Xtinguish
08-10-2009, 10:04
Yes, currently using MSE and it's excellent. Also, for those that run down Windows Defender, I have tested loads of software and found that Windows Defender is the only one that stops all malware and spyware. Most of the others let things in that only defender will stop. I will stick with that.

Ignitionnet
08-10-2009, 10:09
Micro$oft have just released MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials, google it), which is a free AV product. Some think Norton et al should be worried.
My son in law installed it on his computer, after removing Norton 360, and it found quite a few things that Norton hadn't.
Worth a look.
Anybody else played with it ?

Edit. How unhelpful was (google it) ?
Sorry :-)

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/

That is a fantastic idea as a value add to those with genuine copies of Windows.

AndyCalling
08-10-2009, 13:36
Remember, if you switch to MSE you should disable Defender (Vista) or uninstall it (XP) as MSE covers both areas, making defender redundant. Don't let Vista simply disable it when MSE is installed, do it manually in the Defender settings otherwise it starts up then shuts down at boot which is not necessary.

bomber_g
08-10-2009, 13:46
PC Guard is pants and is Windows Defender. Use Commodo - it's free and one of the best out there in my eyes.

Jumping on the 'comodo is really good' bandwagon

I like being able to see exactly what programs are running on what ports at the click of a button (well two or three clicks) and can block / allow / monitor just as easily

Fivegoats
11-10-2009, 14:30
PC Guard and Windows Defender work fine on my daughters machine.

Thanks for the encouragement. PCguard and Defender seem to work OK together on my laptop (Windows Vista SP2). I haven't noticed any drop in performance.
Full scans both showed clear, but Defender seems to do a more thorough job....
PCguard checked C:\ 174,407; Registry 48,436; Memory 32; Total 222,875. Defender checked 564,729 'objects'.
This might not be a fair comparison if, for eg, Defender includes the Recovery partition by default and PCguard doesn't do the same. Can anyone explain the difference?

Peter_
11-10-2009, 19:05
Thanks for the encouragement. PCguard and Defender seem to work OK together on my laptop (Windows Vista SP2). I haven't noticed any drop in performance.
Full scans both showed clear, but Defender seems to do a more thorough job....
PCguard checked C:\ 174,407; Registry 48,436; Memory 32; Total 222,875. Defender checked 564,729 'objects'.
This might not be a fair comparison if, for eg, Defender includes the Recovery partition by default and PCguard doesn't do the same. Can anyone explain the difference?
I also have Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and CC Cleaner just in case:D

frogstamper
12-10-2009, 03:07
I also have Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and CC Cleaner just in case:D

Plus a few machine guns, a touch of nerve gas and just to be on the safe side this all sits on a nuclear self-destruct button, just in case something should penetrate my defenses.;)

bomber_g
12-10-2009, 11:26
Plus a few machine guns, a touch of nerve gas and just to be on the safe side this all sits on a nuclear self-destruct button, just in case something should penetrate my defenses.;)

I also keep a suicide pill in my wallet in case 'they' get me, and try to torture me into giving up my hotmail password

seriously though, get comodo.

It's free as in free, not free as in buy in a month or ill stop being useful, and is based on corporate firewall / antivirus software.

vinh1000
13-10-2009, 20:51
MSE is very good its fast as well :D