PDA

View Full Version : Internet Keeps Droping Out.

lookingback
30-09-2009, 16:50
Ok first newbie here and if I have posted in wrong section of forum apoligises.
Dont know if anyone else having this issue but since getting upgraded from the 2mb to 10mb I have found when trying to connect I get no connection or get a connection that is slow and when browsing the connection drops out and trying refresh going back doesnt work. I have reported it and have had a engineer out twice replaced the modem frist time informed me that there was a connection problem with the large green junction box in street to which he would report second time same engineer suprised that I was still having issues again had all connection checked was again informed that the connection was dropping out he even used his own laptop to check that it wasnt my PC he found the connection dropping out oh his too so again was told this would be reported to be fixed.

A week had passed still having dropout issues I emailed to complain got a return email saying that I would be contacted within 2 to 3 days after 6 I called customer services was informed I should email again and ask to be contacted within 24hrs I done this and I was contacted by email asking me do do checks using modem configuration, netstat, and tracert, and to take copy of all readings and to email the results back all which had already be carried out by the visiting engineer previously. I carried out what was requested and waited to be contacted. I had been checking email to see if I had any feedback from what I had sent when I receievd a email for VM saying the purpose of call was to help resolve connection issues, I was asked
to do checks with this setting and that setting to see if this would solve matter during the call I mentioned that I was going to see if by using a fresh install of windows AV would see if it would make any difference to the problem I was told that this maybe a good idea and it may show if it was a corrupted operating system maybe even infected and the AV installed was picking it up. The call ended by me be giving a contact number and email address so that I could call to inform my findings of a new install and AV install and see if the promblem still showed.

So new install of windows new AV everything seemed to be sorted.....take a guess!!! the issue has returned pages droping out slow connecting and now this is what I find amazing I have down a few speed checks and remember I am on 10mb I am getting results anywhere from 2mb to a whopping 26mb...lol so is it just me or has anyone else had issues like this any help be grateful as getting a little peeved with it all...

Sickofvirgin
30-09-2009, 17:44
Is your modem one of the large old grey ambit ones? kinda flat looking quite long and wide but grey in colour?

I was still using one of those when I upped from 2 - 10mb ages back and I got drop out problems.
They installed a new ambit 256 modem but the problem persisted.
Called an engineer back, told them and they came out and replaced the power lead on the modem from the one the old modem used to the one the new ones had and it didn't drop out again.

They told me the old modems couldn't deal with the faster speeds and that because they forgot to use the power lead that came with the new modem, it wasn't man enough for the job of powering the new modem.

lookingback
30-09-2009, 18:08
Thanks for replying up till the last visit by engineer I had been using the model previous to the 256 blue in color had both usb and ethernet connection new 256 only has ethernet as this is what VM recommend even as we speak I am having a dropout issue with another site I am logged into went to post a answer to a question and I got "page cannot be found" even had this when returning to answer your reply to my posting it seems it doesnt matter what time of day I use it happens and getting tiresome since you write a reply and then go to post and find the connection drops loosing waht you just typed ...anyway thanks for replying...