PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Outage Reading Area

Sephiroth
30-09-2009, 11:25
I don't know if the outage reported for London South, South east is the same one as I've had since 23@00 yesterday (29-Sep), but here at RG41, 12 hours later, VM Cable broadband still isn't working.

I'm on the O2 landline service now. Anyone else in the Reading/Wokingham area with secondary broadband also experiencing issues with VM?

Update:

Of course, no sooner have I posted, the internet has come back on VM!

Cheers all.

Digital Fanatic
30-09-2009, 11:29
I don't know if the outage reported for London South, South east is the same one as I've had since 23@00 yesterday (29-Sep), but here at RG41, 12 hours later, VM Cable broadband still isn't working.

I'm on the O2 landline service now. Anyone else in the Reading/Wokingham area with secondary broadband also experiencing issues with VM?

Update:

Of course, no sooner have I posted, the internet has come back on VM!

Cheers all.

Details of Service Issue
Ticket number 1092260 Time Stamp Sep 30 2009 0:04AM
Region(s) affected England - Central South [CS]

Customers affected Digital TV

Name Derek Keen
Department Outage Surveillence Team
Brief Description
Postcode area(s) All
Placename Reading and Winnersh
Estimated Fix Time 4 Hours
Details Customers in the Reading area may currently be experiencing a loss of their digital services. This will include broadband Internet and digital TV. Our engineers are currently investigating this issue. Virgin Media would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. Virgin Media Technical Support
Status Updated Priority MSO

Sephiroth
30-09-2009, 11:59
Thanks. I didn't see that ticket on http://www.updn.co.uk/virgin-media-service-status.php. Should have looked directly on the VM site!

SOSAGES
30-09-2009, 12:28
mine was down since 11pm last night came back around 1215 today...

CrimL
30-09-2009, 15:19
I'm at RG30 and my Internet went down last night at 23:00 and is still offline, that's 16 hours and counting... Resetting the modem and router doesn't help!

The Internet has been on and off for about 3 weeks now, within that time it's been offline for the total of 3 or 4 days, and I have two landlines in this house, both have been experiencing same issues, at the same time. :(

Digital Fanatic
30-09-2009, 17:38
Thanks. I didn't see that ticket on http://www.updn.co.uk/virgin-media-service-status.php. Should have looked directly on the VM site!

No worries... alot of customers forget to do that :)

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

I'm at RG30 and my Internet went down last night at 23:00 and is still offline, that's 16 hours and counting... Resetting the modem and router doesn't help!

The Internet has been on and off for about 3 weeks now, within that time it's been offline for the total of 3 or 4 days, and I have two landlines in this house, both have been experiencing same issues, at the same time. :(

Hi CrimL and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Sounds like you have an individual issue... there was a general outage in your area, but that is now restored.

Have you tried posing in the VM newsgroups? The guys on there are very helpful...

heres the link... CLICK ME! (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/)

HTH :)

Sephiroth
30-09-2009, 22:04
.......The Internet has been on and off for about 3 weeks now, within that time it's been offline for the total of 3 or 4 days, and I have two landlines in this house, both have been experiencing same issues, at the same time. :(

Now that's interesting.

I have a BT landline with O2 ADSL. At 23:00 last night, I couldn't get internet on ADSL either. I gave up at midnight on 29-Sep.

I'm wondering if there was something that happened at the internet gateway. O2 was back before Virgin.

Hmmm.

The-Darkside
30-09-2009, 22:43
Now that's interesting.

I have a BT landline with O2 ADSL. At 23:00 last night, I couldn't get internet on ADSL either. I gave up at midnight on 29-Sep.

I'm wondering if there was something that happened at the internet gateway. O2 was back before Virgin.

Hmmm.

Its not that interesting. TV and everything out pretty much points to the headend. Its not the first time the Reading Headend has had a power issue. There used to be two dedicated Reading headend engineers, but as Virgin have 'improved' their services over the years, they now look after a number of headends and take longer to sort things. As it took so long, I'd guess something had failed when the power was restored.

Sephiroth
30-09-2009, 22:50
Its not that interesting. TV and everything out pretty much points to the headend. Its not the first time the Reading Headend has had a power issue. There used to be two dedicated Reading headend engineers, but as Virgin have 'improved' their services over the years, they now look after a number of headends and take longer to sort things. As it took so long, I'd guess something had failed when the power was restored.

TV wasn't out at my gaff, only the broadband.

It was the coincidence of the VM outage with the O2 internet outage that was "interesting".

The-Darkside
30-09-2009, 22:53
O2 BB has nothing to do with Virgin BB, apart from maybe electrical power. Your TV comes from Virgins Reading headend?

Sephiroth
01-10-2009, 19:48
O2 BB has nothing to do with Virgin BB, apart from maybe electrical power. Your TV comes from Virgins Reading headend?

I think you missed my main point. Was it mere coincidence that O2 ADSL went out to my place at the same time us Virgin's cable?

That was interesting and/or maybe just a coincidence.

The-Darkside
01-10-2009, 20:57
I think you missed my main point. Was it mere coincidence that O2 ADSL went out to my place at the same time us Virgin's cable?

That was interesting and/or maybe just a coincidence.

No, I completely understand. Like I said the only thing that O2 and Virgin have in common in Reading for providing BB is that they use electricity.

Ignitionnet
01-10-2009, 21:40
O2 don't have their own fibre network for their DSL service, if the cause of the outage was a fibre cut and O2 use fibre in the same duct that got splattered that might explain things.

The-Darkside
01-10-2009, 22:00
O2 don't have their own fibre network for their DSL service, if the cause of the outage was a fibre cut and O2 use fibre in the same duct that got splattered that might explain things.

Virgin certainly have diverse routes for TV into the Reading Headend, i'd have thought the headend outputs would also be diverse.
Whilst I worked for ntl, the UPS failed at Reading at least twice. But having said that the length of the outage is more along the length of time a fibre re-splice would take so you may be onto something.

Ignitionnet
01-10-2009, 22:02
Having spent some time in Basingstoke, served by a hubsite from Reading, and enjoyed an outage there as both 'diverse' fibre routes were in the same duct I'm saying nothing :)

The-Darkside
01-10-2009, 22:12
Having spent some time in Basingstoke, served by a hubsite from Reading, and enjoyed an outage there as both 'diverse' fibre routes were in the same duct I'm saying nothing :)

I remember a fire in a fibre pit at one headend which turned out to be the only fibre pit that headend had. Both 'diverse' routes passed through it.

tom4562
02-10-2009, 14:48
You wont believe how long I've been searching for a thread like this on the internet.

I lost my broadband last Friday and been ringing them up every day. After being told the same rubbish [reset modem, unplug/plug back in.....everything will be fixed in 4 hrs etc..] I got to speak to someone who sounded like he knew the actual problem.

Apparently theres been a cable break somewhere in the RG area and VM are waiting to get council permission to start working on it :/

Funny thing is not everyone got cut off straightaway. It occured around first week of September he said and more people are having their broadband disconnect by the day (not sure how it all works). The estimated completion time is October 12.

I was told that if I spoke to customer relations they might be able to provide free mobile broadband till its fixed.

bomber_g
02-10-2009, 16:01
If you can post your full postcode on here Ill let you know if there is anything broken

Edit: sorry should have said the fibre issue has had a temporary fix put in place and all services should now be back up and running

part of the M4 is going to need to be closed to repull a couple of KM of fibre - this is clearly not a small problem - however if you modem is still not working it could be a local issue

tom4562
03-10-2009, 13:11
Hi there

I phoned up complaining about a tv issue so they finally sent an engineer. On arrival he sorted out the broadband issue as well.It was a problem with the connection box or whatever its called coupled with the outage in my area.

Thanks for the reply