PDA

View Full Version : Severe issues with netgear WGR614v9

xiii
27-09-2009, 15:52
Im a new VM customer who had my services connected yesterday but have already found problems with this router, I will state below.

1:- The setup cd cant detect either my Ethernet Adapter on this very PC, nor any wireless connections in my house. I get a message that my adapter must be faulty. (It obviously is not as it works fine connected directly to the VM modem, hence the reason im on the forum now)

2:- I have managed to connect a wireless laptop to the router (only after uninstalling the setup cd files) via a page that popped up on Firefox where I changed the password for wireless connection. However the wireless doesn't even reach up my stairs and I don't have a big house, just a standard 2 bedroom semi-detached.

3:- I have tried every username/password I have read to get into my router but it just will not let me in, its so frustrating. I have phoned VMCC but I keep getting told its because I have Windows 7.......

Surely the router messing up has nothing to do with my O/S or am I wrong.

Granted that VMCC had to manually register my router over the phone due to Windows 7 not being supported by the registration procedure but my brother has no such issues with O2 broadband.

Any advice about the possibility of my routers username/password and anything I can do to make the wireless capabilities of the router reach more than 30ft would be very much appreciated....

Thanks kind people!!! :angel:

Swansea-Jack
28-09-2009, 14:27
The password and username is on the bottom of the router unless you have changed them, try a hard reset, stick a pin into the small hole at the back of the router and hold it in for at least 10 secs.

Peter_
28-09-2009, 19:30
Try the 2 ways below one should get you connected.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .

First ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router by the antenna and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 15 seconds as this will reset the router.
------------------------------------------------------------
Set up version 1

1. Connect to wireless network. The network will be called "Virgin Broadband" the passphrase (WPA key) is preinstall.

2. Open a web browser. You will be presented with a setup page. Enter a new network name and password, ignore everything else, click apply. You will be prompted for a username and password - ignore it and close the browser.

3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.

4. Happy surfing.

It is actually quicker than running the cd.

-----------------------------------------------

Set up version 2

Quick router set up for the V9

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.