PDA

View Full Version : 20 meg Connection Issues

smiley20
26-09-2009, 10:30
Hi all,

First time posting in the internet forum!

I have had 20meg broadband since it came online and everything has been working really well - not complaints at all.

But the last month has been a nightmare, my connection seems to drop a constant basis though the ready light on my modem is always ready.

If i'm downloading for a example from the gamefiles.virginmedia.com ftp site, I get about 30meg downloaded of a file then it freezes, msn chatting is impossible and streaming video has lots of buffering issues. If I run a speedtest its always up at the 20meg and about 1/2 meg upload but problems become apparent when I require a constant download of data ie ftp/streaming.

I have spoke to tech support and had various engineers round, even had my modem replaced but still getting the same issue. All my signals/power levels are spot on and I tried all the tips suggested on this forum from moving my modem away from other electrical items to by passing my hub direct to my computer, still the same problems.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

K

Peter_
26-09-2009, 12:24
As you say the ready light stays on when you lose the connection what happens to the enet light when the connection drops, does it continue to flash or just go solid.

Could you tell us how you connect to the modem, is it through a wireless router or direct.

If through a router have you tried a direct connection to rule it out.

If direct you may have to look at computer itself such as any software conflicts or issues with the network card.

smiley20
26-09-2009, 13:31
As you say the ready light stays on when you lose the connection what happens to the enet light when the connection drops, does it continue to flash or just go solid.

Could you tell us how you connect to the modem, is it through a wireless router or direct.

If through a router have you tried a direct connection to rule it out.

If direct you may have to look at computer itself such as any software conflicts or issues with the network card.

The ethernet light flashes when i'm receiving/sending data.

I normally connect via router and ethernet cable, I have tried a direct connection to both my 3 workstations and 2 laptops, so I'm pretty sure its not a problem at my end.

Funny thing is on the very odd occasion everything is fine for an hour or so then it goes back to cutting out.

Its like someone is turning off the data stream to my modem after a short period of time and i have checked to make sure i'm not being throttled.

thewiccaman
26-09-2009, 18:38
Having the exact same problem as Smiley20: both sync & ready lights stay on but there is a loss of connectivity. A modem reboot solves it. I had an engineer out about 2 months ago who said the modem and presumably the signal levels were fine. I had no problems for a while after that but in the last week or so, I'm getting this loss of connectivity once a day, maybe more,very frustrating ...