PDA

View Full Version : Might not even get moved over to Docsis 3.0! (20mb)

Hazanko
25-09-2009, 16:07
If people have seen my earlier posts i've complained a lot about slow speeds. My speeds last night were terrible. I was getting around 3mb, just like it was months ago. It was stable for a month after they fixed some bandwidth issues but it's bad again. Maybe more users, i don't know.

When it was bad here is what the Virgin Media newsgroup guy said:

"I am now able to see the load on your UBR last night and can see that at
certain times in the evening the load was high which would cause your
connection to slow. Please be advised the actual speed of your Virgin
Broadband might vary from the speed advertised,especially during peak times."

Now i talked to him about moving to Docsis 3.0 because of my bad speeds and the UBR i'm on is crap and it doesn't support it.

Well here is what he said about Docsis 3.0:

"For the time being only percentage of Size XL customers will be moved to the
new chassis. I believe the move has already taken place on your UBR."

I am quite angry because they moved a lot of 20mb users to the UBR and Virgin know i have had bad speeds for months and they keep me on this crap UBR. If i wasn't on contract i would of left ages ago.

I can't believe how crap VM treat customers, most the time it's like talking to a brick wall.

mikkyh
25-09-2009, 16:10
I can't believe how crap VM treat customers, most the time it's like talking to a brick wall.

Hear, Hear !!!! :mad:

adzii_nufc
25-09-2009, 16:29
Yep I hear ya... Been ****** here (Grandmothers house) for a week or so now..

Speeds no higher than 3mb.. then the odd day ill get 19.74mb on this 20mb connection.

50mb at my mothers is perfect..

So Virgin need that finger pulled out of their arse..

Richard branson seems to buy into everything and Pay no attention to whats actually happening.. I bet if he Knew what was going on he would do something about it.. Meanwhile I believe Virgin are streaming downhill a bit

Hazanko
25-09-2009, 16:40
Yep I hear ya... Been ****** here (Grandmothers house) for a week or so now..

Speeds no higher than 3mb.. then the odd day ill get 19.74mb on this 20mb connection.

50mb at my mothers is perfect..

So Virgin need that finger pulled out of their arse..

Richard branson seems to buy into everything and Pay no attention to whats actually happening.. I bet if he Knew what was going on he would do something about it.. Meanwhile I believe Virgin are streaming downhill a bit

Yeah, when the contract is over i'll probably cancel Virgin phone and get a BT line installed. I might go with Be Broadband. I know having a BT line isn't perfect at all but i don't have much choice. The customer support is just terrible. Virgin are okay if you never have problems but if one day you do, pray that they can fix it or else they will just ignore you.

caph
26-09-2009, 11:02
Hazanko, you should register a complaint with CISAS if this problem has been going on for 3 months or more. In all probability Virgin will move you to a new docsis 3 CMTS within a few weeks of you lodging the complaint and you may well also get compensation. It worked for me and my speeds went from sub 1Mb in the evenings to 20Mb all the time.

By the way when you are moved to a docsis 3 CMTS the 20Mb modem only registers with docsis 1.1. You will also see that your UBR changes if you do a reverse DNS lookup.

xocemp
26-09-2009, 11:19
Read this thread before you go kicking a screaming to anyone.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33655667-now-this-is-really-weird.html

If you've not been told to retune to next gen kit there will be a reason for it.

broadbandking
26-09-2009, 12:22
It all depends as the new UBR might only haveeven space for the load already

LaineY
26-09-2009, 14:42
Just out of curiosity, what modem do you guys have?

Ignitionnet
26-09-2009, 17:08

If you've not been told to retune to next gen kit there will be a reason for it.

Following on from what the xocemp said there have been some issues of upstream capacity on the overlay network.

Seriously you really, really, really don't want to see what cable works like with upstream congestion. It's not nice.

That's one possible reason why they may not have moved all XL, they may be nervous about capacity but this will be resolved in time.

Capacity on the legacy network has been an 'issue' in some areas due to the 2 -> 10 uplift. This should likewise be resolved in the not too distant future.

Hazanko
26-09-2009, 21:12
Following on from what the xocemp said there have been some issues of upstream capacity on the overlay network.

Seriously you really, really, really don't want to see what cable works like with upstream congestion. It's not nice.

That's one possible reason why they may not have moved all XL, they may be nervous about capacity but this will be resolved in time.

Capacity on the legacy network has been an 'issue' in some areas due to the 2 -> 10 uplift. This should likewise be resolved in the not too distant future.

Well the not too distant future doesn't help me much. I was told many times that i would get moved to Docsis 3, that was a lie. Now i'm expected to wait for issues to fixed for even many more months. I sent a complaint to the ISPA since dealing with Virgin for 5 month hasn't fixed my problem. Maybe there is tech reasons for why can't move to Docsis 3 but ever since they did all the speed upgrades and 50mb ectcetera, i've gotten bad speeds.

It's been really bad and i've had to deal with it for too long. If there is faults with the UBR and poor speeds, i'm getting ripped off. I don't even know what exactly my problem is anyway. VM have given many reasons over many months like bandwith isses, high load and utilisation spikes.

broadbandking
26-09-2009, 22:38
All are pretty much the same Overload UBR too many users and not enough bandwidth

Mick Fisher
26-09-2009, 22:50
VM's Network, it seems, is always in a state of flux. :(

Whenever upgrades are being performed you can usually depend on getting poor speeds and maybe even discos for the duration. If you are lucky this might be followed by a period of stabilisation when you might experience correct speeds and solid uptime. Unfortunately these golden periods are shortlived and VM are soon into the next phase of change.

This is, of course, only my experience and opinion based on 12 or so years. Personally I have not been able to improve my experience by going ADSL so I am stuck with it. Probably I am cursed with bad telephone lines. :) However YMMV. :)

Welshchris
26-09-2009, 23:19

i dont know why u pointed out my post, the problems i was having was NOTHING to do with being put on docsis 3.0, the problems this person is getting was the same i was when i was taken OFF Docsis 3.0.

Ignitionnet
27-09-2009, 11:36
All are pretty much the same Overload UBR too many users and not enough bandwidth

Not wrong there, though in VM's case they are having to undo the mess Telewest left along with the ongoing epeen fight with Sky / BT and the capacity problems that caused, plus having to keep prices on the floor.

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

i dont know why u pointed out my post, the problems i was having was NOTHING to do with being put on docsis 3.0, the problems this person is getting was the same i was when i was taken OFF Docsis 3.0.

We'll ignore the reports across 2 different threads of disconnects you experience while connected to the Motorola BSR / DOCSIS 3 platform and just concentrate on your thread documenting not particularly bad performance issues in that case Chris... ;)

Hazanko
27-09-2009, 17:55
Well my speeds dropped again at around 17:30 and 151 and the newsgroup guys said the same thing:

"I've checked the connection in your area and it looks like there is some high utilization during the evening periods which look to be the cause of the slower connection speeds. This is currently being monitored with a light to upgrading the equiptment in the future if the issues persist or increase. My apologies for the connection but you should see full speeds during off-peak times."

My speed was dropping to about 3mb and even 1mb. I'm paying for 20mb and they know there is problems with the UBR but it doesn't seem like they want to bother. Plus i can't even get onto the new Docsis 3.

Welshchris
27-09-2009, 18:13
Right lets get something str8 here shall we, as im beginning to feel and ive noticed this in many posts now not just mine that this forum that is supposed to be a support and help forum seems more like an harrassment and having to prove ones self forum and its sad.

My high upstream was ongoing right the way through an still is now, i will take u through it from start to finish.

My problems began when i started having modem reboots randomly and i was told that it was because my power upstream levels were hitting 59dBmv. I was told an enginner had to come out and he did and said "All power levels are fine all i can do is change the modem". When he changed my modem it kicked me off docsis 3.0 to docsis 1.0 but not only did my upstream levels persist even tho it had dropped from 51dBmv to 45dBmv but was still spiking but it also caused bandwith errors as the UBR i was put onto was oversubsribed and had port utilization issues. I demanded to be put back onto docsis 3.0 as i said that i didnt see it was fair was i was moved from a non oversubscribed BSR to an oversubcribed UBR and i had a lot more problems. I was put back onto Docsis 3.0 and bandwith problems stopped but im still having problems with upstream and as u can see it wasnt JUST! on DOCSIS 3.0 i was getting them.

Ignitionnet
27-09-2009, 18:33
Well whatever Chris just your earlier posts across 3 or more different threads over the past couple of months said otherwise was all. Thanks for the clarification.

sollp
27-09-2009, 18:35
If people have seen my earlier posts i've complained a lot about slow speeds. My speeds last night were terrible. I was getting around 3mb, just like it was months ago. It was stable for a month after they fixed some bandwidth issues but it's bad again. Maybe more users, i don't know.

When it was bad here is what the Virgin Media newsgroup guy said:

"I am now able to see the load on your UBR last night and can see that at
certain times in the evening the load was high which would cause your
connection to slow. Please be advised the actual speed of your Virgin
Broadband might vary from the speed advertised,especially during peak times."

Now i talked to him about moving to Docsis 3.0 because of my bad speeds and the UBR i'm on is crap and it doesn't support it.

Well here is what he said about Docsis 3.0:

"For the time being only percentage of Size XL customers will be moved to the
new chassis. I believe the move has already taken place on your UBR."

I am quite angry because they moved a lot of 20mb users to the UBR and Virgin know i have had bad speeds for months and they keep me on this crap UBR. If i wasn't on contract i would of left ages ago.

Only the Docsis 2 modems have been migrated onto the new UBR's,(for 20Mb customers) if yours isn't a Docis 2 modem then you won't be moving onto the new UBR. This will in turn relieve the existing UBR.

Nor I, or VM, do not treat it's customers like crap.

Ignitionnet
27-09-2009, 18:37
Only the Docsis 2 modems have been migrated onto the new UBR's,(for 20Mb customers) if yours isn't a Docis 2 modem then you won't be moving onto the new UBR. This will in turn relieve the existing UBR.

Then that capacity freed up is quickly eaten by upgrading 2Mbit customers to 10Mbit resulting in congestion returning again and a large resegmentation program presently ongoing to resolve capacity issues ;)

sollp
27-09-2009, 18:41
Then that capacity freed up is quickly eaten by upgrading 2Mbit customers to 10Mbit resulting in congestion returning again and a large resegmentation program presently ongoing to resolve capacity issues ;)

Yeah can be the case if 2-10 hasn't already taken place, if it has then there will be relief for others. Yep resegmentation is always ongoing to give the customer a Briliant experience,(licky,licky).

Oooop's forgot ;)

Hazanko
27-09-2009, 18:48

Nor I, or VM, do not treat it's customers like crap.

Well it was fine for about a month when i think they started moving people off the UBR, and by fine i mean it wasn't as bad. It used to stay at 10mb a lot and it did drop to about 8mb, which still isn't great for 20mb user but now it's bad again (dropping to 3mb and 1mb). I've had problems for about 5 months and had very little help or advice, so that seems like treating the customer like crap to me.

Ignitionnet
27-09-2009, 18:55
Yeah can be the case if 2-10 hasn't already taken place, if it has then there will be relief for others. Yep resegmentation is always ongoing to give the customer a Briliant experience,(licky,licky).

Oooop's forgot ;)

Hah yeah right, ever since VM adopted Telewest's fantastic capacity planning guidelines resegmentation has been a bit more belated than usual, that said at least there is resegmentation which is more than most Telewest areas saw pre-merger :p: