PDA

View Full Version : No email address

CuddlesTC
24-09-2009, 14:00
Hi,

My Mum has just had broadband installed, but hasn't been told what her email address is; the engineer told her she just needed to go to the Virgin website and create one there, but in order to do that you have to log in, and in order to log in, you have to have an email address.....

I spent half an hour on hold waiting for tech support before I ran out of time and had to give up - is ringing them again when I have a couple of hours to spare the only option, or is there an easy way of figuring out what her initial email address should be?

Ta!

moaningmags
24-09-2009, 17:22
She should have got a welcome pack giving her Internet Username and Password.

If she hasn't received that then it's a call to tech support to get the info, this info will only be given to your mum.

Ben B
24-09-2009, 19:09
http://act2.virginmedia.com

CuddlesTC
25-09-2009, 10:13
She should have got a welcome pack giving her Internet Username and Password.

I had a feeling that would be the case, so as she didn't get this (or the wireless router that was apparently supposed to arrive in advance - post strike maybe?) looks like tech support again or trying Ben's link when I can next get round to her house.

Thanks to you both :)

MikeyB
25-09-2009, 12:59
Why not just get a Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo address?

I've never used the email provided with an ISP because if you change you ISP you've lost your email address.

CuddlesTC
25-09-2009, 13:49
Why not just get a Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo address?

I've never used the email provided with an ISP because if you change you ISP you've lost your email address.

My mum's not great with computers - she can just about operate Outlook Express and I don't fancy having to retrain her to use webmail....

She has an email address on my domain name, so whenever she changes ISP I just change the redirect settings to her new 'real' address.

Dai
25-09-2009, 18:35
Set up a gmail address. That can be picked up in Outlook Express. There are instructions for enabling POP mail on the gmail site.

She'll never have to worry about running out of mailbox space either.

Ben B
25-09-2009, 19:01
Set up a gmail address. That can be picked up in Outlook Express. There are instructions for enabling POP mail on the gmail site.

She'll never have to worry about running out of mailbox space either.
Yes Dai but if she needs to change any account things online she will need a virgin media email address, all new customers get an @virginmedia.com address which uses GMail. CuddlesTC, on her computer browse to http://activation.virginmedia.com and go through the activation screens, this will allow you to pick an email address for her.

Ben :)

Dai
25-09-2009, 19:23
Yes Dai but if she needs to change any account things online she will need a virgin media email address..
Ben :)

Good point Ben, I had forgotten about the account access side of things.

CuddlesTC
28-09-2009, 19:08
Many thanks for the advice everyone; I clicked on the activation link and phoned Tech Support at the same time, and Tech Support answered pretty quickly (the activation link was still 'thinking' about it), so Mum's now up and running with her good old-fashioned non-webmail!

Thanks again :)