PDA

View Full Version : 50mb how much should i be downloading per second?

tjay2
23-09-2009, 10:47
Hi,

I get confused between KB and MB if I have a 50mb line what should i expect my download speed to be per second.

For example nearly everthing shows downloads in Kb/s what should be the highest i would realistically acheive on a 50mb line

Sorry if ive confused anyone
Thanks in advance
Tjay

azcomposer
23-09-2009, 11:34
Usually anything above 1Mb is shown in MB, so on a full steam ahead on 50MB, this would be 6MB/s or around 6000KB.

Btw, B = bytes, b = bits

tjay2
23-09-2009, 12:24
Hi az thanks for that!

Ive been hitting 6000kbs so very happy :)

Apparently my power levels in the modem are too high but whilst im hitting these speeds im reluctant to have an engineer change anything unless i see a drop in service

Peter_
23-09-2009, 14:57
Hi az thanks for that!

Ive been hitting 6000kbs so very happy :)

Apparently my power levels in the modem are too high but whilst im hitting these speeds im reluctant to have an engineer change anything unless i see a drop in service
If you post the power levels then we can tell if they to high or not.

Remember not to post your mac address

xocemp
23-09-2009, 15:09
I have checked that and am not at home at the moment so will post later.

But i can confirm that the power levels under downstream have always been between 8-9 dmbv everytime i have checked

Molly power levels are not always the deciding factor, upstream or downstream may not always be within the tolerance of what you have been trained though the cable modem will perform without problems.

tjay2
23-09-2009, 15:16
my downstream power levels are between 8-9 dmbv? or dbmv

However whilst im not seeing any decrease in service at the moment i would be loathed to get an engineer out to change it.

Peter_
23-09-2009, 17:42
Molly power levels are not always the deciding factor, upstream or downstream may not always be within the tolerance of what you have been trained though the cable modem will perform without problems.
I know he said it was running perfectly just interested to see the levels which he has now posted and not bad at all getting those speeds with his power levels.

We only get the bad connections calling in and I would not bother while getting such good speeds.

tjay2
24-09-2009, 09:14
I know speeds seem very good with the high power levels!

However when it was first installed i did notice a drop in service although it has been fine for the past 5 days or so now.

I will of course monitor it though and if there seems to be a drop in service i will get those power levels lowered.

aoighean
24-09-2009, 23:25
the speed shown is very near max
this being 6400KB/s
there are 8 bits to a byte so you simply divide the total bits by 8
and 1MB = 1024KB
so the speed you have posted is very good :Yes: