PDA

View Full Version : Will This Sky box work

chrisarvor
21-09-2009, 06:01
I live in Bulgaria and get the freeview sky channels form the sky boxes i have.

If i buy a Sky Plus box will i be able to record the freeview channels??

Is there any problems i will encounter?
Will the sky plus box work with a Blue freeview card?
Any help please

Maggy
21-09-2009, 08:08
As I already explained in your other thread this sounds dodgy.Can you give me a good reason not to close this thread?

Raistlin
21-09-2009, 08:12
I think the answer is that if the Freeview channels are delivered to you as part of a Sky subscription then yes you will be able to record them. I don't believe though that the Sky+ box will work with a non-Sky card though, although I have to admit that I'm not 100% - someone who understands the Freeview/Sky system better will no doubt be along shortly :)

:welcome: BTW

Paul K
21-09-2009, 08:24
Sky+ would also need 2 feeds from the dish unless you only want to record what you are watching and the card will probably die soon as it will need replacing with a new one due to the all cards being updated.

adzii_nufc
21-09-2009, 08:24
Na its not dodgy dont worry.. Its only dodgy if he's trying to Link it to A bulgarian home satellite

Other than that i see no problem and well As far as im concerned Sky deliever tv to bulgaria?

Never heard of that.. Come to think of it.. something does smell about this thread lol

Kymmy
21-09-2009, 08:56
Even if he was going to set the sky box to recieve Bulgarian home sat it wouldn;t be didgy, Sky boxes are owned by the customer after a year so can be sold on, he's talking about the free to view channels (not subscription or PPV)

The ONLY issue here would be the reception of UK channels outside of the UK but the UK channels shot themselves in the foot with that one right after freesat was announced/launched..

This begs the question in that is sky going to replace the blue free to view cards as most are NOT registered to an address, it's only the subscription cards that are, so I presume that the blue cards will be good for a long time yet, even so it would only stop you watching I think 3 or 4 of the FTV channels as most now are encryption free..

The only other issue is dish size, Bulgaria isn;t on a main lobe so you;d need a decent 1meter+ size dish and even then it's not gonna be a great signal

Ignitionnet
21-09-2009, 09:26
I believe Sky disable PVR functionality on Sky+ boxes that don't have a valid subscription so while it's perfectly usable Sky+ functionality isn't going to happen.

zing_deleted
21-09-2009, 10:27
I believe Sky disable PVR functionality on Sky+ boxes that don't have a valid subscription so while it's perfectly usable Sky+ functionality isn't going to happen.

that to is my understanding however since it was made free I am not sure if that is still the case

Maggy
21-09-2009, 10:32
OK as the consensus is that this is not dodgy, thread left open for discussion.

:)

Kymmy
21-09-2009, 10:47
Not dodgy, just geeky!!! :D:D:D

chrisarvor
21-09-2009, 12:54
Why does it sound dodgy.
You may have too much time on your hand mod???

Only wanted to know if i can record tv progs?

As i said i already have sky boxes, and sky is world wide not just in the UK
;)

Scrubbs
21-09-2009, 13:17
Why does it sound dodgy.

;)

If it's world wide will I be able to set it up in australia when I visit?:rolleyes:

Kymmy
21-09-2009, 13:51
;)

Yes Sky is world wide but not from the Astra 2 sats which is primarily a UK based Sky service. The Sky+ box you have will also be a UK based box and even though anyone within the footprint can recieve the signal Sky does NOT issue Sky UK cards outside of the UK.

Remember that no-one has a right to recieve any digital service, the service though is provided under certain T&C whether it be under contract or not..

As for Sky worldwide that service is dealt via various cable/sat/IP services which is nothing to do with you recieving Astra 2 sat services..

zing_deleted
21-09-2009, 14:19
Why does it sound dodgy.

;)

We often get posts on this forum involving dodgy cable boxes. I mean no disrespect to Maggy but she is not a technically minded as some of the mods on this forum. She obviously saw the post and aired on the side of caution you can not fault her for that :)

Tezcatlipoca
21-09-2009, 21:17

that to is my understanding however since it was made free I am not sure if that is still the case

It is.

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/skytv/skyplus/pricing

Sky+ functionality requires a Sky+ subscription (free for Sky TV customers, or £9.75 pm) and two satellite feeds.

No Sky TV subscription or separate Sky+ subscription = no Sky+ functionality.

Rather stupid, really, that they still do this, given that you obviously don't need any kind of subscription for a Freeview+ box.