PDA

View Full Version : Harsh throttling since new modem installed?

pooper
13-09-2009, 10:59
I've noticed a strange thing since i had a new modem installed last week.

Basically, it seems my old one was on it's way out, which explains the REALLY unstable connection I was having. But i've now had new wiring put in, along with a new modem and attenuator.

The connection has been rock solid since then, but i've noticed a strange thing.

When my downloads get throttled, it seems to be REALLY harsh... my ping on IRC will go up to about 3000-4000 MS and I can't seem to upload anything to my website etc.

To be honest, I never even noticed getting throttled before, but now it seems to have swung the other way!

AbyssUnderground
13-09-2009, 17:33
Can you post your power levels? Always post power levels with connection issues!

Welshchris
13-09-2009, 17:57
Pooper i had the same problem, i had a new modem installed and when my new modem was installed it took me off the new DOCSIS 3.0 Kit onto an oversubscribed DOCSIS 1.0 UBR and i was having major problems.

It took 3 weeks to sort and it was only going to the ISPA and demanding they moved my Modem to the new kit again that sorted it.

pooper
13-09-2009, 20:53
Ah that would make sense, because before i remember my hostname was walt.something, now it's popl.something :S

What's the easiest way to get that change made? Through the newsgroups?

Matt-08
13-09-2009, 21:00
People have asked on the newsgroups, but they are told they have no control over it.

mam
13-09-2009, 21:01
Pooper i had the same problem, i had a new modem installed and when my new modem was installed it took me off the new DOCSIS 3.0 Kit onto an oversubscribed DOCSIS 1.0 UBR and i was having major problems.

It took 3 weeks to sort and it was only going to the ISPA and demanding they moved my Modem to the new kit again that sorted it.

Sorry for using your thread to ask a question,but can I ask what DOCSIS 3.0kit and DOCSIS 1.0 UBR refers to please.

Thanks

Welshchris
14-09-2009, 02:03
it referrs to what hardware ur connected to, the new or old one basically

mam
14-09-2009, 10:17
it referrs to what hardware ur connected to, the new or old one basically

Thank you
Can I ask which is the older hardware,and how do you find out what your connected to?

Welshchris
15-09-2009, 17:51
older is docsis 1.0 and u can check by goin into modem logs