PDA

View Full Version : router using PC MAC

mam
11-09-2009, 20:22
Hi,

I have a Netgear router WPN824v2 and a virgin media modem.

Over a year a go Virgin media did an upgrade of their equipment,so I was told.

After the upgraded,the only way to configure my router to connect to the modem/internet was to use the MAC address of the PC's NIC.The routers own MAC would not work.
I have been told I'm "spoofing the router/modem"

I could not use the Netgear supplied setup disc,it was a manual install.

The router works well using this MAC,but I'm just curious why I have to use the incorrect settings.

Thanks

DocDutch
11-09-2009, 21:16
you can easily change that... just reboot the modem and leave it switched off for say 5 mins, then plug in anything you want and it'll release the MAC address its holding for the account.

Milambar
11-09-2009, 22:37
I think 30 seconds is enough actually, not 5 minutes, but someone on the staff will confirm that.

Just make sure you power everything back on in the correct sequence. Power everything off, then wait 30 seconds, then power back on in this sequence: Modem, wait for it to lock on, then the rest of your equipment.

That always works fine for me.

Edit: Just a thought. Make sure you turn the MAC spoofing OFF before connecting it back to the rebooted modem, otherwise the modem will probably lock onto the spoofed MAC again, and you get to repeat the whole procedure.

zing_deleted
11-09-2009, 23:07
when ive had to change IP cuz of one of my many mac changes to get on merlins I just pull the plug and put it straight back in again

mam
11-09-2009, 23:20
Hi and thank you all for the advice.

I have gone into the routers settings, and on the Router MAC Address I have selected use default,instead of the original PC's NIC MAC.

But the MAC address listed has a different last letter then the MAC address printed on the underside of the router??

Back to the router settings,the Internal port MAC address has the same different last letter,and the LAN Port MAC has the routers MAC address.

Any thoughts please.

Thanks again

Mick Fisher
12-09-2009, 01:16
If it was working alright when you were spoofing the PC's NIC why change things?

mam
12-09-2009, 09:14
If it was working alright when you were spoofing the PC's NIC why change things?

Always bugged me that the wrong MAC was being used.Decided to seek advice just incase the fault was with Virgin media.

Mick Fisher
12-09-2009, 19:47
Always bugged me that the wrong MAC was being used.Decided to seek advice just incase the fault was with Virgin media.
I changed my router config to spoofing the PC's mac in an attempt to stop it dropping the WAN connection at seemingly random intervals. It didn't. I am now trying a different solution which seems to have sorted the issue but have left the mac spoofing active so as not to compound the issue until I am absolutely certain of the result. Even then I will likely leave things as they are, utilising the "If it ain't broke ..........." principal.

Anyway fair enough.

Thanks for the reply. :)

deathtrap3000
12-09-2009, 21:31
But the MAC address listed has a different last letter then the MAC address printed on the underside of the router??
The one on the bottom is probably the wifi's mac.

mam
12-09-2009, 22:37
Hi Mick Fisher
I thought about setting the MAC back to the PC's NIC MAC,it worked fine.But decided best to use the correct MAC.
Thanks for helping.

Hi deathtrap3000,

So a router will have two MAC's?,one for the wired and wireless connections.
If correct,why is there only one MAC printed on the router.
Thanks for helping

Jon T
12-09-2009, 22:57
Hi Mick Fisher
I thought about setting the MAC back to the PC's NIC MAC,it worked fine.But decided best to use the correct MAC.
Thanks for helping.

Hi deathtrap3000,

So a router will have two MAC's?,one for the wired and wireless connections.
If correct,why is there only one MAC printed on the router.
Thanks for helping

You'll actually have three mac addresses, one for the WAN interface, one for the wired LAN ports and one for the wireless. The MAC printed on the router will be the one associated with the WAN interface.

mam
13-09-2009, 13:12
You'll actually have three mac addresses, one for the WAN interface, one for the wired LAN ports and one for the wireless. The MAC printed on the router will be the one associated with the WAN interface.

Hi Jon T ,and thanks for the help.

Right so 3 different MAC's.

The MAC printed on the router is the MAC being used as the LAN port (as seen from the local LAN)

The Internet port MAC is different(as seen from the internet)

I would of thought that the Internet port would of used the MAC printed on the router?.

Sorry for asking again.
Cheers

Jon T
13-09-2009, 13:32
You have three MAC addresses.

Wireless MAC - seen by wireless clients

LAN MAC, seen by your wired local devices

WAN MAC, seen by your cable modem

I would assume(and it could vary from router to router) that the MAC address printed on your router is the MAC associated with the WAN port, it is on my linksys.

mam
13-09-2009, 16:10
You have three MAC addresses.

Wireless MAC - seen by wireless clients

LAN MAC, seen by your wired local devices

WAN MAC, seen by your cable modem

I would assume(and it could vary from router to router) that the MAC address printed on your router is the MAC associated with the WAN port, it is on my linksys.

Thank you for help Jon T

Jon T
13-09-2009, 16:18
Thank you for help Jon T

no probs, ;)

mam
14-09-2009, 10:15
Hello,

I would like to thank everyone who has offered help and advice with my thread.
Cheers