PDA

View Full Version : PC Guard away from home

chrispy2000
11-09-2009, 11:12
At the moment my daughter is using Virgin’s pc guard on her lap top. She is starting at university at the weekend and taking the lap top with her. Will she still be able to use PC Guard if she is not connected to virgin BB?

InternetFollower
11-09-2009, 11:34
At the moment my daughter is using Virgin’s pc guard on her lap top. She is starting at university at the weekend and taking the lap top with her. Will she still be able to use PC Guard if she is not connected to virgin BB?

Yes, as long as it is a reasonably up to date version. Some of the older versions from when there were the separate NTL and Telewest companies required the PC to be connected to the their networks. The newer versions use username and password authentication instead.

chrispy2000
11-09-2009, 11:44
Thanks for that. It'll save me a few quid.

Peter_
11-09-2009, 17:10
Thanks for that. It'll save me a few quid.
It may stop working after 30 days as it is not connected to a Virginmedia connection and cannot update itself, you may be better advised to install AVG or something similar.

xocemp
11-09-2009, 22:29
It may stop working after 30 days as it is not connected to a Virginmedia connection and cannot update itself, you may be better advised to install AVG or something similar.

Rubbish, it will continue to work past the 30 days as the software uses your username to authenticate and not your IP address.

Peter_
12-09-2009, 11:00
Rubbish, it will continue to work past the 30 days as the software uses your username to authenticate and not your IP address.
I am talking about a 3rd party computer being away from the home connection which will need to authenticate itself, and they must have the primary username and password in order to do so, and that depends if the account holder is willing to provide those details as that then gives full access to the account.

That is why I recommended the likes of AVG which does not need a username and password.

Do not assume I am wrong without reading the original post fully.

chrispy2000
12-09-2009, 11:31
Now don't fight over it.
I've installed it, if it works after 30 days or when all well and good if not she can install AVG.
I'll post the out come.
Thanks for the help.

Peter_
12-09-2009, 11:39
Now don't fight over it.
I've installed it, if it works after 30 days or when all well and good if not she can install AVG.
I'll post the out come.
Thanks for the help.
Nice one let us know the outcome, either way she will be protected;)

chrispy2000
18-10-2009, 16:23
Bad news. The university insist that she uses their own AV, so she has had to remove PC Guard.

xocemp
18-10-2009, 18:58
Could be a blessing in disguise ;)