PDA

View Full Version : Two Broadband Connections at One Address?

Ear
06-09-2009, 13:57
Hi

Does anyone know if its possible to have two broadband connections at one address? Either by having an engineer come and do an installation or by using a splitter on the current connection at the wall. I assume it won't be a problem but just wondering as the sales line is asking me to call back monday.

Matt-08
06-09-2009, 14:27
Impossible currently.

Ear
06-09-2009, 14:38
:( Awww.

Matt-08
06-09-2009, 14:41
You'll have to use a router and/or or Homeplugs.

Ear
06-09-2009, 14:50
I need it because I need to use the entire 1.5mb upload speed available for a particular thing but I also need to use my laptop/xbox at the same time which is impossible due to no upload left.

BenMcr
06-09-2009, 15:05
You might be able to persuade ntl:telewest business to install a business connection into the property in addition to the residential service

Peter_
06-09-2009, 15:06
I need it because I need to use the entire 1.5mb upload speed available for a particular thing but I also need to use my laptop/xbox at the same time which is impossible due to no upload left.
The only way to have 2 connections is by having a ADSL connection via a BT phoneline or by using a Mobile broadband dongle.

caroline
06-09-2009, 16:28
2 years ago i had 2 connections to one address one upstars and one down , they hace to be in seperate names thoe and accounts.

Peter_
06-09-2009, 16:31
2 years ago i had 2 connections to one address one upstars and one down , they hace to be in seperate names thoe and accounts.
That is no longer allowed by Virgin as Benmcr will be able to verify.

BenMcr
06-09-2009, 20:58
Yup

rogerdraig
06-09-2009, 21:21
just get a bt line as well if i was you if you need 2 really good connections other wise if the other users are just checking mail etc get a dongle

if virgin are silly enough not to want the extra cash from two lines i would just leave them to it lol

AndyCalling
06-09-2009, 21:56
Do Virgin media do business connections with higher upstream speed, in the same way BT line providers often offer SDSL connections to business with the same size upstream as the downstream is?

If so, it may be worth getting a business connection with a higher upstream and then reserving at least 1.5meg for your IP on the home router (you should be able to hunt down a router that can do this). Just use one of the hardwire ports on the router for your PC and let the rest share the connection over wireless or the other hardwire ports.

Ignitionnet
06-09-2009, 22:06
The highest upstream available from VM without getting a leased line is the 1.75Mbit available from the 50Mbit residential product.

They have nothing with higher at all.

AndyCalling
07-09-2009, 13:27
Looks like an SDSL business connection over the BT line might be your best bet for a massive upstream then, OP. You'll just have to check out the providers (LLU and BT piggybacks) to see what SDSL deals they offer (which will mostly be business packages I suspect).

cook1984
07-09-2009, 18:33
I have two connections at the same address right now. When I signed up for the second one they said they didn't do it, but eventually allowed it.

It causes all sorts of confusion for them when you want to change anything. What usually happens is you call them and say you want to change speed, then they change the wrong account so you call them again and they finally change the right account but leave the other one on the new speed too.

One trick you can use is to get the second one installed at a slightly different address, say 89A instead of just number 89. You can tell them it's a different flat too. You might have an issue if you want the same name on both accounts, but if you have a partner just use their name.

I'm hoping 10 meg upload will be available eventually, at a sane price. I'd definitely go for it as finally there would be a BB service that caters to more than one simultaneous user.

Peter_
07-09-2009, 18:41
I have two connections at the same address right now. When I signed up for the second one they said they didn't do it, but eventually allowed it.

How long ago did you get two lines.

One trick you can use is to get the second one installed at a slightly different address, say 89A instead of just number 89. You can tell them it's a different flat too. You might have an issue if you want the same name on both accounts, but if you have a partner just use their name.

Not possible unless the Royal Mail have it listed as an independent address and you can prove that it is a separate address with its own front door and facilities as spotters would be sent out to check and Benmcr will confirm this as well.

Ear
08-09-2009, 15:01
My house used to be flats (10 years ago) as even though I'm already a virgin customer they continue to send promotional material targetted at ex-customers to my house number with a 'C' on the end. Checking on the Virgin website their address checker also has A B & C on my address. I could sign up and take my chances? If by some chance I get away with it which I doubt I will can I request an engineer install the new broadband upstairs? Or do they avoid that/not allowed to do it?

BT Business is far too expensive

Ignitionnet
08-09-2009, 19:07
Go for it, their loss is they refuse you.

cook1984
08-09-2009, 19:31
Not possible unless the Royal Mail have it listed as an independent address and you can prove that it is a separate address with its own front door and facilities as spotters would be sent out to check and Benmcr will confirm this as well.

You are seriously suggesting that VM will send someone round to check if there are really two separate flats, just in case they have reason NOT to take more money off you?

Occasionally we use the other fake address (number+A) for mail, just to see who is whoring out our personal data. Fake names are good for that too. So far Royal Mail have never bothered to check and never failed to deliver, even the letter is addressed to "Mr. R. Sole" etc.

Peter_
08-09-2009, 19:44
You are seriously suggesting that VM will send someone round to check if there are really two separate flats, just in case they have reason NOT to take more money off you?

Nowadays they use the Royal Mail address verifier, if its not on there then you get no services because the is no legitimate address to send a bill.

theoldbill
08-09-2009, 19:52
Why are VM staff on here so dead-against the idea of people having more than one connection? Isn't it another subscription to help pay their wages, they shouldn't really be putting people off trying if they really want an extra service!

But - as I said in a previous thread about this - for redundancy a BT connection would be the better option than 2 x VM's.

Peter_
08-09-2009, 19:56
Why are VM staff on here so dead-against the idea of people having more than one connection? Isn't it another subscription to help pay their wages, they shouldn't really be putting people off trying if they really want an extra service!

I am not deadset against it is the company who are, and it used to be mainly NTL addresses that had 2 connections not Telewest addresses.

It is more likely to be that they would prefer you to get your 2nd line from the business arm http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/

BenMcr
08-09-2009, 20:02
We aren't against it, it's just that it isn't something that is officially supported as product, so we can only say 'you can't do it'

Tech_Boy
08-09-2009, 20:21
it's not the VM Staff (most if not all are actually outsourced) who are against you getting 2 connections, it's the Management who decided to go with the inferior modem provisioning / billing system, that is not set up for (and apparently cannot be changed) multiple broadband connections at the same address.

I swear that when the companies merged, someone, for a laugh made a list of the worst possible decisions that could be made for the company, then someone else found it & said "we have a roadmap for the future of the company." the rest as they say, is history.

cook1984
09-09-2009, 00:01
Nowadays they use the Royal Mail address verifier, if its not on there then you get no services because the is no legitimate address to send a bill.

In that case apparently all you need to do is have a single letter delivered to the fake address, and RM will acknowledge it. Maybe put a little sign by the letter box saying "all flats" or something. As I say, it works perfectly and is ideal for finding out who VM are selling your personal data to.

it's not the VM Staff (most if not all are actually outsourced) who are against you getting 2 connections, it's the Management who decided to go with the inferior modem provisioning / billing system, that is not set up for (and apparently cannot be changed) multiple broadband connections at the same address.

Well, you certainly can do it, because I am doing it, but you are right that the system is not set up for it. The poor Indian staff seem to suffer some kind of brain haemorrhage when confronted with the situation, but the UK staff can usually sort it eventually.

BenMcr
09-09-2009, 00:08
In that case apparently all you need to do is have a single letter delivered to the fake address, and RM will acknowledge it. Maybe put a little sign by the letter box saying "all flats" or something. As I say, it works perfectly and is ideal for finding out who VM are selling your personal data to.Virgin don't sell your data.

Also, just because the Royal Mail will deliver an incorrectly addressed letter, doesn't mean they will add it to their database

Well, you certainly can do it, because I am doing it, but you are right that the system is not set up for it. The poor Indian staff seem to suffer some kind of brain haemorrhage when confronted with the situation, but the UK staff can usually sort it eventually.And as has been said soo many times now, it USED to be possible but is not possible NOW.

So yes, there may be people with two modems because they were set up in the past, but no new accounts can be opened with two modems at one registered address

Ear
09-09-2009, 18:51
Engineer is coming to my 'flat' in 2 weeks time. Waa hey

Maribel
09-09-2009, 19:20
It's doable. NTL is desperate for business. Any business...

on in an hour!
09-09-2009, 20:50
ive been to jobs in the past where the address on the ticket was e.g. 89a but there wasnt an 89a so a quick knock at 89 has found my customer.turns out the subs son/daughter wanted b/b in their bedroom but they refused to put it on their acc so NTL created the 'a' No account (even though 89a didnt exist).so as has been said can be done,but if the OP wants to believe anybody here about what cant be done now theyve got to believe Ben Mcr ;)

broadband man
10-09-2009, 14:21
duplicate accounts can be done but you would be getting billed for the 2 accounts

cook1984
10-09-2009, 21:15
Virgin don't sell your data.

Yes they do. I know because I have given them slightly altered data that I have not given to anyone else. That data has then been used by other companies to spam me. The only way they could have got it is from Virgin.

Well, unless VM call centre staff are selling the data privately. There is apparently a lot of that going on in India.

And as has been said soo many times now, it USED to be possible but is not possible NOW.

Okay, let's have a wager. If I manage to get a third BB line at my house, you pay for it for a year. How about it?

duplicate accounts can be done but you would be getting billed for the 2 accounts

You mean they don't give you extra broadbands for free!?!?

BenMcr
10-09-2009, 22:09
Yes they do. I know because I have given them slightly altered data that I have not given to anyone else. That data has then been used by other companies to spam me. The only way they could have got it is from Virgin.The only people that use your data is other companies in the Virgin group (and then only with your permission which you can revoke at any time), that is it.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/privacypolicy.html

Disclosing your information

Here's when we may provide information about you:

To employees and agents of Virgin Media to deal with any accounts, products and services provided to you by Virgin Media or our group companies now or in the future.
With your agreement, to other Virgin companies (e.g. Virgin Atlantic), whose products and services may be of interest to you.
To search the files of a credit reference agency, which will keep a record of that search, when you apply for service. Additionally, details of how you conduct your account may also be disclosed to the agency. This information may be used by other organisations in assessing applications from you and members of your household.
We may use aggregate information and statistics for the purposes of monitoring web site usage in order to help us develop the web site and our service and may provide such aggregate information to third parties for example content partners and advertisers. These statistics will not include information that can be used to identify any individual for example, '10,000 people clicked on an advertisement yesterday'.
We will not pass on your personal information to third parties except in accordance with this policy and our Terms and Conditions or where we are required by law to disclose that information.

*sloman*
10-09-2009, 22:15
what about home phone numbers within 24hrs of my VM home phone being installed i had call centres calling me. and yes i selected ex directory and double checked this with VM.

the excuse i got was these companies make the numbers up and are sometimes successful (sack of pap)

BenMcr
10-09-2009, 22:20
Ex-Directory means you name is not associated with the phone number and placed in the Directory as your number . It does not mean the number has never been used before or been placed in the phone book against someones name

cook1984
12-09-2009, 18:29
We will not pass on your personal information to third parties except in accordance with this policy and our Terms and Conditions or where we are required by law to disclose that information.

Then I suggest you start screening your call centre staff a bit better, because someone is passing those details on and I don't imagine they do it for free.

Just denying that it is happening will not fix the problem, you need to take some positive action.

BenMcr
12-09-2009, 18:53
If you have proof that this is happening I suggest you take it up with the ICO (http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public.aspx)

cook1984
13-09-2009, 18:49
Thanks, I think I will.

BTW, here is an example of how to use this technique:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/287/envelope.jpg

Ear
18-09-2009, 01:41
My account was flagged up and they sent someone round to check I wasn't lying about living in a flat :shocked: Think I convinced them but will find out on the installation date

Ignitionnet
18-09-2009, 07:53
My account was flagged up and they sent someone round to check I wasn't lying about living in a flat :shocked: Think I convinced them but will find out on the installation date

Given all the people they have made redundant throughout the years and how busy you'd expect them to be you'd have thought they would have had better things to do than try and stop someone from paying them some more money.

Ear
27-09-2009, 18:03
Apparently not. Also got a 2nd phone call from someone wanting to confirm its definitely not a house but in the end the engineers came round and we've got the 2nd connection upstairs up and running :)

Wouldn't recommend trying this unless your in the royal mail post code checker as flats... and even then you'll have to convince someone in person if your flagged up due to same surname etc.

Ignitionnet
27-09-2009, 18:17
Good man! :D

EDIT: Again ridiculous that they harassed you to confirm, they should be happy for every new connection they can get going by last quarter's figures!

pip08456
27-09-2009, 22:09
10 meg upload from VIRGIN???? Dream on!!!!

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

I agree Moldova but must put a proviso on it. I live in a flat in a new refurb and the flats don't appear on the RM database as yet. I had to suppkly my tennantcy agreement for them to copy to verify it. BTW I have'nt got it back yet, I'll have to chase it up.

Ignitionnet
28-09-2009, 09:31
10 meg upload from VIRGIN???? Dream on!!!

Comcast manage it, Cablevision manage it both with networks with less potential upstream capacity. UPC and Comhem manage it with networks of similar EuroDOCSIS spec to Virgin.

Numerous operators have deployed 5Mbit.

If they pull their finger out it's perfectly doable.

pip08456
28-09-2009, 22:48
Didn't say it wasn't doable VM aren't interested in giving decent upspeeds

BenMcr
28-09-2009, 23:05
Virgin have already announced they will test upload speeds up to 10Mbit - but if/when they do it they will use upstream bonding to achieve it

Ignitionnet
29-09-2009, 08:26
Virgin have already announced they will test upload speeds up to 10Mbit - but if/when they do it they will use upstream bonding to achieve it

Upstream bonding isn't available yet and no other operator that has hit 5 or 10Mbit (one has gone up to 15) is using it apart from a Japanese MSO that is using Arris equipment. Neither Cisco nor Motorola have upstream bonding ready yet outside of labs. No operator mentioned anticipates field trials for a while.

http://www.cedmagazine.com/Article-D3-Upstream-What-Hurry-090109.aspx

Upstream bonding won't be adequate of itself to do it on VM's network anyway, given that all the DOCSIS 3 areas only have 1 upstream per node and the upstreams are only 9Mbit or so. Needs DOCSIS 2 upstreams in addition to or instead of.

“We do 64 QAM today for that purpose. It’s really an economic question of if you have to segment in the upstream but not in the downstream, do you put in more fiber, do you turn up another upstream channel – and there’s not that many of them around – or do you increase your modulation? As you get to 64 QAM and you have higher bandwidth on the channel, you get better statistical multiplexing, so you could offer higher speeds.”

64QAM 6.4MHz wide channels offer triple the bandwidth of the channels VM use at the moment and no evidence to indicate VM have the upstream channels free in a number of areas - they had to borrow a frequency from the DOCSIS 1 network to give to DOCSIS 3 here for example.

cubs
29-09-2009, 21:38
Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject but I have an enquiry that I think fits into this thread.

I have Virgin Media basic TV package in my living room and 10MB BB via a cable modem in my bedroom.

What would be the result if I split the cable in the living room and attached a second cable modem to the connection? Would both modems provide an internet connection?

My reason for doing this is because I have a router attached to my cable modem in the bedroom and don't want to connect to my xbox (in the living room) over wireless. My other option is to move my modem and router to the living room but then my wireless connection won't travel all over the house (the bedroom is pretty central and so wireless is available everywhere). Also, I have connected to my xbox via an ethernet port in my router in the past but when someone else connects to the router over wireless it makes the xbox unplayable so I'd prefer not to use the router for the xbox.

Are there any other solutions available if this wouldn't work?

PS - Apologies if this is in the wrong thread but I think my initial question is related to this topic?

Comfortably Num
29-09-2009, 22:24
Strange that you say it's impossible and yet I live in a houseshare with 3 seperate VM accounts - I have 20 meg BB and XL v+ other 2 customers have 20 meg BB. Just tell them it's a house share and if they refuse I'll PM you my address then you can argue as to why we have it but not you.