PDA

View Full Version : 50MB is it really worth it

chrome
05-09-2009, 13:44
hi, i'm thinking of upgrading from 20 to 50mb. it world cost an extra £7.75 a month. my question is it really worth it. i only use internet for general surfing, i don't play games. but i am interested in movies ( streaming or downloading ) legal of course. what would i be able to do with 50mb other than faster surfing

zing_deleted
05-09-2009, 13:57
download your legal movies faster

REM
05-09-2009, 16:14
hi, i'm thinking of upgrading from 20 to 50mb. it world cost an extra £7.75 a month. my question is it really worth it. i only use internet for general surfing, i don't play games. but i am interested in movies ( streaming or downloading ) legal of course. what would i be able to do with 50mb other than faster surfing

Almost anything 2.5 times faster as long as the source can keep up. A lot of public download sites are so busy they wouldn't even saturate a 20mb connection.

peanut
05-09-2009, 16:37
I hate being tied to the STM guidelines so for me 50mb is a way round that. 50mb is nice in a 'just because you can, when you want, and quick', but do anyone need it, I don't think so. But is worth the extra money? I'd say yes (if you have the money that is).

pigpen
05-09-2009, 18:33
Depends on how much you can get it for, but I got it for less than I was paying for 20Mbit at the time, so yeah it was worth it for me :)

And anyway, having a cap free consistently fast connection is pretty much worth anything extra you'd pay.

|Kippa|
06-09-2009, 20:35
Simply put, YES it is worth it.

Ignitionnet
06-09-2009, 21:09

If you're only 'interested' in more movies wait and see how you go with that with 20Mbit.

Just as some people get no real value from 20Mbit so you might not from 50, and realistically I struggle to see where you'll get it from given 20 is quite enough for everything you've mentioned above.

So no, I'll say for the most part it isn't, I only have it because I don't pay for it. The primary use of it at the moment, due to the crappy upstream, is leeching from newsgroups and that's pretty much it.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

And anyway, having a cap free consistently fast connection is pretty much worth anything extra you'd pay.

That is very much a YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary statement. For some people 50Mbit has brought with it inconsistent performance and an unreliable connection. I have had a couple of weeks of downtime and my service continues to be far more unstable than my old 20 service was for reliability.

caph
06-09-2009, 22:48

Have a good read of all the problem posts for 50Mb users and bear this in mind. This is a new technology that is obviously having more than its fair share of teething problems.