PDA

View Full Version : Internet Disconnecting When Loading Torrents.

big_fella_andy
04-09-2009, 21:38
Hey guys, i'm new here, done a quick search for torrent, to see if it brought back anything.

So thought i'de ask.. and i'll start from the begining, so i'll blab on a bit, and get more to the point when i put bold letters on.

Anyways...

about a month ago, I was using utorrent to download (after been using this for a long long time) and my internet disconnected, i tried everything which i normally do (resetting modem/router/renewing ip/etc...) ended up phoning virgin, and they resolved the problem from their end.

Then tried again, and had the same problem, only this time a simple modem restart was sufficient to solve this problem.

Since then i've upgraded to windows 7 (beta).
And heres my problem....

Today i redownloaded Utorrent, and when i open this, the bandwidth climbs upto around 100kbs... then climbs back down to 0...

(modem then resests at this point)
every light on my modem flashes, and them all go out for seconds, excluding the Power light.. some light up flashing... and i wait for the Sync and Rdy light to come back on. Then connectivity is restored... for 1 - 2 minutes, when the problem happens again.

I've tried taking my router out of the equation, and i'm still having this problem.

I phoned Virgin Media up and they said they is no faults which they can see. (even though when i was speaking to the assistant whilst it was disconnecting about 5 times.)

I've been told i'm getting an engineer sent out on thursday, but was wondering if you guys could give me any advise to fix this before he comes so i could cancel him.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

any Modem details if anyone should need them...

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem

Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.36 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 35.60 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.00 dBmv

Ed2020
04-09-2009, 22:56
I could be wrong, but I believe this is a common problem with uTorrent. My advice would be to try a different BT client before doing anything else. My personal choice is Vuze.

Ed.

big_fella_andy
04-09-2009, 22:58
Thanks for the reply Ed. I tried using BitComet earlyer on, it started fine...

managed to download at 250kbs at one point...

then it started climbing back down and i had the very same problem :(.

Will try the torrent client you sugested as soon as i know my mam isn't wasting her time on farmville downstairs :D

Ed2020
04-09-2009, 23:16
You're welcome Andy.

It's important to get the client set up correctly. BT works your router and modem *hard* by creating an awful lot of connections to lots of other users. Up to a point this improves download speeds, beyond a certain point you will saturate your connection (usually your upstream bandwidth will be the first to be saturated) killing your connection until you stop the client. Sometimes it can necessitate a reboot of your modem and/or router.

Don't fall into the trap of assuming that maxing out the number of connections will improve download speeds. I allow 100 connections per torrent, 5 simultaneous downloads and a maximum global connection limit of 400. This leaves my connection usable for browsing.
Limit upload bandwidth to ~80% of your total capacity. On my 20mb connection it's limited to an upload of 75KB/s.
Remember that torrent download speeds depend on much more than the health of your connection. Speeds will fluctuate with the health of the swarm and the peers/seeds you are connected to. Poor download speeds do not necessarily mean a problem at your end.
Experiment with different settings and find what works best for you. A good way of ensuring you are experimenting with a healthy torrent is to use the sponsored content in Vuze as they usually have plenty of uploaders - pick a nice large download. Bear in mind that, even with these, I frequently don't manage to max. out my download speeds.

Ed.

PS - Googling BitComet comes up with a shed load of posts about the same problem you're experiencing so you may have been unfortunate with the first two choices of BT client. In fairness this probably isn't really a problem with the BT clients, but a problem with your modem not being able to handle the number of connections the client is attempting to make and the rate at which they're being created.

big_fella_andy
04-09-2009, 23:21
Touching wood here...

So far so good, it hasn't disconnected.. YET.

I'm capable of downloading at 1000kbs, i set it to 800kbs. even though at the moment it's at a steady 230.

Also, got a quick question about Vuze.

you say Allow 100 connections per torrent.

and 400 global, i've looked through the settings and can't seem to see this option?

Thanks

Andy

Sorry, found it now. I'de been expanding each tab instead of clicking on Transfer directly.

Thanks again!

Ed2020
04-09-2009, 23:35
First make sure you're in Advanced mode:

Tools > Options > Mode > select "Advanced".

Then go to:

Tools > Options > Transfer. The options are all under this tab

You may also want to check under Tools > Options > Connection and make sure the TCP and UDP ports are different numbers (some devices (I'm thinking Linksys routers here, but there's probably others) don't like using the same port for both protocols. Doesn't matter what you select providing it's not used for anything else. I pick a couple of ports in the 17000+ range.

In my experience limiting download speeds is unnecessary; upload is usually the cause of problems (usually unusable browsing when using BT rather than disconnections). Of course YMMV as I believe you're on a 10mb rather than 20mb connection (?).

Ed.

PS - Forgot something obvious - as your connection speed may be different to mine your optimal settings will almost certainly also be different. Either do some Googling or see if somebody else here, with the same connection as you, will post their findings to save you some time.

big_fella_andy
04-09-2009, 23:40
Yeah i'm on the 10mb connection.

I've set my Max Download to 800kbs.

Max Upload to 30kbs.

400 Global, 100 Connections Per Torrent.

think i'm going to have to change my settings again though, as when i opened this post to check it out, i also had another webpage open and it disconnected my internet :(.

BUT i'm hoping the problem isn't coming back, and just hoping that the 2 webpages + Download choked my connection causing it to restart ? *fingers crossed*

Ben B
04-09-2009, 23:52
Hi Andy,

Please can you post what your upstream and downstream levels are now. I know you posted them in the first post but they could have changed. Also, please could you post your modem log.

Thanks,
Ben :)

Ed2020
04-09-2009, 23:57
2 webpages + download shouldn't be choking your connection with those settings. The webpages won't make any difference either way - the additional load they will put on your connection is insignificant compared to the BT client.

Are you sure you don't have anything else running, in addition to Vuze, that would be creating a lot of connections? No other BT software or other P2P software?

Good question by Ben. I've had power level fluctautions cause problems with my connection in the past. Sometimes they were fine (usually when I was on the phone to VM CS!), other times I'd experience regular disconnections. Hope I haven't sent you on a wild goose chase with the change of BT software and settings!!

Ed.

big_fella_andy
05-09-2009, 00:01
Using Vuze, i'm downloading at 306kB/s (restricted at 750kbs)
Uploading at 19.1 kB/s (restricted to 20kbs)

Using Speedtest.net

Download 9.85Mb/s
Upload 0.46Mb/s
Ping 10ms

How do i show my modem log?

Thanks

Andy

---------- Post added 05-09-2009 at 00:01 ---------- Previous post was 04-09-2009 at 23:58 ----------

and in reply to Ed.

I'm running absolutley nothing extra. Managed to complete the download with only 1 disconnect.

However, after the first disconnect, i tried going on a few webpages again, and could kinda feel the modem wanting to disconnect again, Firstly the webpages i was on wouldn't load... then I seen it's bandwidth decreasing, then i had to close the webpages. then it started climbing again.

Thanks

Andy

Ben B
05-09-2009, 00:07
How do i show my modem log

Go to http://192.168.100.1
What I want is everything for the downstream page and everything from the upstream page. Then copy the modem log from the Event Log page

DO NOT POST YOUR SERIAL NUMBER OR MAC ADDRESS

Ed2020
05-09-2009, 00:09
I'm running absolutley nothing extra.

In which case I don't think it's a problem with your BT client or settings.

How are you connected to the modem? USB or ethernet?

Ed.

big_fella_andy
05-09-2009, 00:12
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : 256 QAM
Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.38 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 35.74 dB
Cable Modem Status

Upstream Status

Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
MAC address : ***********
IP address : *********
Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.38 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 35.67 dB

Task Status
Search for a Downstream Channel Done
Search for a Upstream Channel Done
Obtain Upstream Parameters Done
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Done
Establish Time Of Day Done
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP Done
Register Connection Done

Network Access : Enabled
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr
Software Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning

Couldn't find an "event log"

not sure how upto date this page is though, at the top it still says NTL! :D

and Ed. I'm connected via Ethernet.

Ben B
05-09-2009, 00:14
Andy,

What model is your modem, usually on a sticker on the bottom.

Ben :)

big_fella_andy
05-09-2009, 00:16
only information i have on the modem written is NTL Home: 120.

Ben B
05-09-2009, 00:18
There's your problem, the 120 is ancient and can be very problematic, you need a replacement, call tech support or post on the newsgroups

big_fella_andy
05-09-2009, 00:20
Do you think it's worth me phoning up Virgin, and Canceling the Engineer? and just asking them to send out a new modem.

Or worth me having the engineer coming out? and hoping he has a new modem with him.

Ben B
05-09-2009, 00:23
Do you think it's worth me phoning up Virgin, and Canceling the Engineer? and just asking them to send out a new modem.

Or worth me having the engineer coming out? and hoping he has a new modem with him.

Well the modem will get sent out on monday or tuesday so will get to you tuesday or wednesday so I don't think there's much point cancelling the tech cause he can check everything else is in working order at the same time. He will have a modem with him as it's a broadband fault he has been called out for.

big_fella_andy
05-09-2009, 00:28
Thanks for the help/advice anyways guys, i think i'm gonna hit the sack now! good to talk to a couple of people who know their stuff!

When i phoned the guy up earlyer on from virgin, he asked what operating system I was on.

when i told him windows 7 (Beta), first he asked "Windows 97?"

then when i explained it's the newst version of windows... he replied... "Vista?"

Ben B
05-09-2009, 00:31
Yeah Virgin don't support Windows 7 yet as it's not been released properly yet, the only OS's that they support are XP and Vista.

Ignitionnet
05-09-2009, 08:50
I do feel your pain, my settings on 50Mbit are 60 global connections, 40 per torrent and even then sometimes either the cable modem or the router fail.