PDA

View Full Version : My Vista TCP/IP tweaks to speed up your cable internet

AndyCalling
04-09-2009, 21:14
If you have a slow connection but can't use the old optimizer utilities because you have Vista, then there are ways to optimize your TCP/IP stack. These may also work for Windows 7, you can but try.

Firstly, go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx

Use the tool to test your router and network card to ensure it is compatable with the advanced Vista TCP/IP settings. Now make up this little batch file I wrote (make it in Notepad and save it as TCPIPSet.cmd):

@echo off
echo Setting TCP/IP flags (only succeeds when run as administrator)...
echo.
netsh int tcp set global rss=enable
netsh int tcp set global chimney=enable
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enable
netsh int tcp set global timestamps=disable
pause
cls
echo Current settings:
echo -----------------
netsh int tcp show global
pause

When you run this normally in user mode it will set nothing, it simply shows you what the settings currently are. When you right click on it and run this as administrator it will set the settings which are ideal for most modern hardware. If the Microsoft test shows your hardware can't cope with some of these settings you will have to adjust my batch file to suit. That's why the test is vital, you wouldn't want to slow things down would you.

Sometimes these settings can get temporarily readjusted by Vista due to occasional weirdness making Vista think the network conditions have changed. Check every so often (by running in user mode) and then run in administrator mode if it needs a nudge. It should auto-correct anyway after a while/reboot, but my settings take effect instantly (no Vista reboot needed after adjusting TCP/IP settings like XP needs) so it's simple to just run it again.

This does work on Virgin.net ADSL as well.

Have fun!

AdamD
23-11-2009, 01:27
Thanks Andy!

Kard
24-11-2009, 23:05
netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enable

Users of EA gaming servers should note, enabling this will prevent you from connecting to their servers, I've tested this on Battlefield Heroes and 2142. I raised a ticket with their tech support, sadly I've not had a reply yet.

Pyr0
30-11-2009, 15:22
yup, for me it blocked nfs shift connecting to ea nation and stopped the ea sites from working properly or even loading in some cases

AdamD
30-11-2009, 18:24
I bet this was why I could no longer access the OVH site.
Doh :P

AndyCalling
01-12-2009, 01:06
Updated for Windows 7:

@echo off
echo Setting TCP/IP flags...
echo -----------------------
echo This only succeeds when run as an administrator,
echo when run as a user it only shows the current settings.
echo.
pause
echo.
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
netsh int tcp set global chimney=automatic
netsh int tcp set global netdma=enabled
netsh int tcp set global dca=enabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enabled
netsh int tcp set global timestamps=disabled
pause
cls
echo Current settings:
echo -----------------
netsh int tcp show global
pause

Let me know if you get any trouble. I hear the EA Gaming thing is their fault. One can only hope they get their act together.