PDA

View Full Version : 10MB virgin media getting lag spikes

uperkurk1
01-09-2009, 22:16
Hey guys. I'm having some problems with my 10MB virgin media connection, I have had my line for about 9 months now without a hitch until recently. I play some online multiplayers games such as call of duty 4. Basically when I go into a server and check my ping (latency) I goes from 34 (which is normal) to 500+ and it jumps back and fourth from 30 ish to sometimes 999. I can download with no problems, my average download speed is 600kbs to 1mb a second which is what I should be downloading at. I have tried unplugging my cable modem to reset it and still no joy. I did a full system restore incase I had a virus that was affecting my speed and still the same. My general internet is slow also but when I do a broadband speed test I get 9.8MB which is normal.

I have tried talking to someone from VM on the phone but there really not helping they say its ok from there end so it must be an issue on my end.

I was wondering if its possible to find out the IP to my virgin media cable modem so I can reset it manually or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

uperkurk1
02-09-2009, 19:26
Any ideas guys?

moaningmags
02-09-2009, 19:34
There's nothing you can reset in the modem.
http://192.168.100.1 user/pass root/root
Go to the Signal tab and post your upstream and downstream power levels and signal to noise ratio (SNR)
Which modem do you have?
Have you tried pinging to your game server?

uperkurk1
02-09-2009, 23:14
Here is my details

Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.0 dBmV

Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 32.6 dB

I couldnt find the upstream SNR.

Thanks

moaningmags
02-09-2009, 23:15
Those levels are fine.
Can you run a traceroute to your game server and also some ping tests.

uperkurk1
03-09-2009, 04:30
I dont now how to do a traceroute but I have done a ping test in cmd prompt and my ping changes all the time from 35, 178, 489, 367, 43, 56, 99 ect its all over the place. I just had my firewall give me a popup message saying my PC is about to connect to another network or something, I never had this before. Could someone be using my internet maybe? Thanks for the help so far.

haydnwalker
03-09-2009, 12:19
Do you use wireless for online gaming? As this could be your PC changing its signal strength to the router (and hence changing the latency).

If you use a network (ethernet) cable to connect to your router, then the above is irrelevant :)

To do a traceroute, open cmd prompt and type tracert <game server ip>