PDA

View Full Version : 1MB download speeds on 10mb connection

MannyC
30-08-2009, 17:43
nottingham - NG16
ex NTL
If ntl tell us if you were the Bromley (Cable & Wireless) or Langley platform - no idea
1/2 week old new modem - ambit 256

for a while now i've been getting max download speeds of 1.2MB no matter what im downloading or when (i actually thourght i was on the 2mb connection until i recently checked and were on the M package meaning 10mb, so its been like this since forever, i cant remember seeing my download speed ever over 2mb) also my connection seems to come in spurts, ie a netgraph looks like a heartbeat machine not a smooth line, something which when watching iplayer for example becomes very evident.

i only became aware of the speed issue when i rang up VM earlier about my connection dropping out constantly at the time they got me to do a speedtest and that shows 8-9000 k/b which is fine, 1 guy sent me a new modem which im using (and hasn't improved anything) and 1 guy said my PC was at fault since i connect straight from the modem via ethernet. my PC is old but i haven't had any problems with it and its acting as normal, i find it hard to belive that this is the problem, my query really is how likely is the problem to be my PC and not the connection i cant really hook another pc upto it without alot of hassle and would like to avoid lots of long conversations with the tech support trying to get them to fix it when in the end it turn out to be a problem with my equipment

i was going to post powerlevels etc from the new modem as i was asked last time from http://192.168.100.1/ but its now not showing any information that looks of use

edit * should also point out i formatted in the middle of this with no change i doubt its software related unless its something to do with my OS which is XP

Tech_Boy
30-08-2009, 17:52
your 10 Mega bit "Mb" connection, will max out at about 1.2 Mega Bytes "MB".

MannyC
30-08-2009, 17:56
oh, then im a fool and someone has played a joke on me, good job i didn't call up about that issue to complain 1st

thankyou and sorry :erm:

although the spikey connection is still something i need to phone em about