PDA

View Full Version : Upstream Power between 58.5 and 60

Gazjam
29-08-2009, 14:49
Would it explain the intermittent internet speeds (20MB often get 7-16mb) and pixillated picture on tv channels?

Also. my V+ box is slow to change chanels etc, and interactive services are slow to unusable respond.

The cable coming in my front door is split three ways between three different rooms if that is relevant?
It used a 3 way splitter to feed the different rooms.

Thank you. :)

Down the Pub
29-08-2009, 15:02
i've found that my v+ box has always been way slower than my old pace stb - in bot changing channels and interactive.

did have a issue where the levels was out a bit but sorted with a call-out and a couple of attenuators. but those levels are quite high - ring 151 and request service call.

Gazjam
29-08-2009, 15:32
Hey thanks for that.

What did the engineer do with the "couple of attenuators"?

I ask because the engineers that have came out before always seemed a bit stumped as to how to fix it, other than rewiring my installation, but that required the "network boys" to get involved (he said)

thanks.

Down the Pub
29-08-2009, 20:01
Hey thanks for that.

What did the engineer do with the "couple of attenuators"?

I ask because the engineers that have came out before always seemed a bit stumped as to how to fix it, other than rewiring my installation, but that required the "network boys" to get involved (he said)

thanks.

just fitted them on the stb and modem to bring the levels down slightly and since then i haven't had any probs with either bb or tv (except v+ but that was a different issue).

monkey2468
29-08-2009, 20:45
Would it explain the intermittent internet speeds (20MB often get 7-16mb) and pixillated picture on tv channels?

Also. my V+ box is slow to change chanels etc, and interactive services are slow to unusable respond.

The cable coming in my front door is split three ways between three different rooms if that is relevant?
It used a 3 way splitter to feed the different rooms.

Thank you. :)
Yes it can. Can be caused by incorrect power levels or poor quality signal. Can also be caused by loose/faulty/corroded f conectors and splitters. You need a tech.

caph
29-08-2009, 22:38
Would it explain the intermittent internet speeds (20MB often get 7-16mb)

If you are getting 20Mb speeds at some times of the day with that same power level then the power level probably isn't the problem. If you are getting low speeds at peak times only then it would indicate oversubscription.

When do you get the speed drops?

Gazjam
30-08-2009, 01:55
Theres no set pattern to the speed drops, it can happen at any time to be honest.

Would the 3 way split of my cable be a major problem?

Ignitionnet
30-08-2009, 10:33
Yes it would in your case but that doesn't change that you don't have enough power coming into your home and need a tech visit to resolve this. The 3 way split should not be a problem so long as there's enough power coming into the home.

Gazjam
30-08-2009, 12:05
So..

Would you say then that would be a good thing to say to the Tech when (if?) he comes?

As I live in a tower block, would increasing the power level to my home be something than a VM tech would see as "too much trouble"?

I ask as thats the impression Ive had before; being told it would need to be elevated to the "network guys" etc etc.

Just not sure of the best way to approach VM to fix my problem. :)

Thanks.

alex250
30-08-2009, 12:15
network guys would be able to test the return path (your upstream) at the riser outside your flat and adjust as necessary, service would need to attend first and refer it to them

Gazjam
01-09-2009, 17:31
Thanks for all the replies.

Ben B
01-09-2009, 17:52
Gazjam, you've posted 6 times on the newsgroup!

Ignitionnet
01-09-2009, 22:04
I'm beginning to wonder if the VM newsgroups are the best place to go anymore.

I reported a fault with my own service and they sent me out a modem which I didn't want, and when I received it it was a 256 which is great apart from that I'm on XXL.

Then:

>> Upstream transmit Power Level : 58.5 dBmV
>> Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
>
> Hi Gazjam,
>
> Can you check your upstream power level a couple of times for me please,
> and let me know if it fluctuates at all.

I've politely pointed out that it doesn't matter if it fluctuates and 58.5dBmV is unacceptable in any event for the type of upstream OP is on.

A few new people seem to have started posting on there for VM and seem to need to cut their teeth a bit.

Matt-08
02-09-2009, 19:13
Yikes Carl, my Ambit 256 is reporting 58.5 Upstream and 8.8 Downstream, yet my broadband works fine?

Ignitionnet
03-09-2009, 12:46
Yikes Carl, my Ambit 256 is reporting 58.5 Upstream and 8.8 Downstream, yet my broadband works fine?

For now...

If you're on QPSK it'll go up to 61dBmV transmit power also, OP isn't he's on 16QAM which has stricter power requirements.

8.8 down is not ideal but quite functional so long as SNR holds up ok.

Either way in the context of the modem working but not working if someone sneezes in its' direction it's a no brainer to get it back within tolerances. Also can cause network degradation having modems booming away with high transmit power.