PDA

View Full Version : Help with initial connection to wireless router not using Virgin software

mjw123
26-08-2009, 23:43
Hi,

A guy on AVforums helped me connect directly to the Netgear router bundled with my Virgin Broadband, i didn't want to clog up my laptop and install the software you are expected to.

I've now got a wireless connection to the router but no internet access through it.

The laptop is running Windows 7 if that makes a difference.

I've tried login in to another user on the laptop and connecting the net and all this user gets is the acct2.virginmedia.com broadband set up screen which doesn't seem to like the windows 7 o/s and it thinks i'm running an old version of windows.

Any ideas what's happening here guys - the modem / router / laptop all seem to be fine just not letting me connect to the internet even though I can get to the router fine.

tia,
Mike.

MovedGoalPosts
27-08-2009, 08:24
How are you currently posting? Using a computer to modem direct, or computer - router - modem connection? In other words is your modem speaking to the VM network OK and it's just the router setup that is awry.

If you are able to use the modem,but not the router, do ensure that when you swap from the modem to router connection you have powered everything off. The modem will not detect the change for a computer to router unless you power things off.

mjw123
27-08-2009, 09:49
Hi Rob,

My old ISP is still live so i'm using that to connect - my virgin won't allow me to connect even though I can make a wireless connection fine to the router.

Once i make a connection to the router it thinks internet is unavailable (network status) but as i soon as i try to browse to a web page it then thinks internet is available (does it only make a connection once you try and browse ?), however any site i try and access is simply changed to the virgin setup page which when i proced with get the problem about o/s version problem. As stated running windows 7.

Thanks again,
Mike.

crogers122
27-08-2009, 09:51
Has your virgin line ever worked? have you tried directly connected your Virgin Modem to your computer and not a router to see if it works??

Matt-08
27-08-2009, 09:54
Sounds like you need to register your connection to me, it just won't allow you to do that on Windows 7.

Can you try hooking up a Non-Windows 7 machine up to the modem, register and then put your router back in and reboot everything?

I'm assuming you've just joined Virgin as new customer ^

Graham M
27-08-2009, 09:57
You can register on Windows 7 in exactly the same way as Windows Vista

crogers122
27-08-2009, 10:01
Yes graham is right you dont need to worry what operating system you need to register with the modem as its linked via RJ45, if you have not registered the modem Ring up the Virgin Media Activation Line you will need to be the account holder, and may require to tell them the MAC Address of your modem, they need to activate the modem there end, not the users end.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/activation/virginmedia/

mjw123
27-08-2009, 11:40
My modem is connected via a Cat 5 - is this the same as RJ45 ?

Anyway it doesn't seem happy with windows 7 - unless this is a red herring as i've not registered the service yet :-

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/7.jpg

Going to try ringing through to register now.

Ta,
Mike.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Sorted guys - was the registration at Virgin.....had to reboot my laptop to stop it throwing me to that virgin reg site though.

Now flying at 10mbps :-)

Don't spose anyone knows how to changes settings on a netgear wireless game adaptor for my Xbox