PDA

View Full Version : VM Cable Splitting Issues

khawaja.ss
26-08-2009, 18:58
Hi all,

major Problem i have! I Moved my Virgin cable modem next to my TV in the front room and am trying to split the cable into 2, one into the modem and for the tv.

Then when i connect my splitter which works 100% i cant get a signal for the Modem or TV.

Along the route there are no other splitters or anything else, It comes straight from the white wall mounted Virgin Media Socket.

Used 3 different splitters and but still no joy.

So i went back to the old room hooked it up from the wall straight into modem not splitting the cable and Bingo it worked!!!

I can get TV signal if I connect the Cable straight to TV and can also get Internet Signal if connect straight to Modem, just cant get the cable split and receive signal on either tv or Modem

Is there a maximum number of extension/connectors that you can use for these cable modems??

The cable that goes into the splitter will work when plugged in, but not with the splitter on the other side!!!

Any ideas anyone

Kymmy
26-08-2009, 20:35
Cable BB & TV relies on signal levels being correct for them to work, when you split the cable you're messing seriously about with the signal levels..

jrhnewark
28-08-2009, 16:00
Meh, you've either not got enough signal level incoming/outgoing from your property or you've badly terminated the F-plugs.

Makes sure they're properly terminated on each of the plugs. One rogue bit of copper and you'll mix the core and the shield. Not a good thing for your signal levels!

khawaja.ss
30-08-2009, 08:40
Hi,
Im not phisycally splitting the cables, I am using 1m ready cut BB cables bought from Maplins. The cables work when seperatly plugged in. I might not have enough signal coming into the house..

Sirius
30-08-2009, 08:45
Hi,
Im not phisycally splitting the cables, I am using 1m ready cut BB cables bought from Maplins. The cables work when seperatly plugged in. I might not have enough signal coming into the house..

Then you will need an engineer from virgin to come out and sort out the levels.