PDA

View Full Version : TV Installation - weird placement problem?

djcammy
25-08-2009, 00:48
Hi everyone.

Hope you can help me with some information.

Currently I've got broadband with virgin, Sky HD & Vonage phone (via BB). I'm looking at getting rid of Sky & Vonage, while adding XL TV & XL phone (we already have NTL phone points but don't use them).

Here's my problem: I live in an extended semi-detacted house. The cable comes to the properly at the front. The broadband point is in our loft conversion (my office) so no problem there.

However the TV point would need to in our lounge, which is at the back of the house. It couldn't really come in the front as it would pass two working fire places. The only way I can see to get the cable from the front of the house to where the TV is would be to go over the top of the house (either on the roof, or possibly through the loft space) down the back of the house and in through the wall (and would still be another 15 feet in that room). The other possibility would be go along the side of the house and round that way, but it would still be a large distance?

My concern is ordering the TV package and then an engineer turning up and going "no chance" or that it doesn't come within a "normal" install and there's an extra charge.

Just wondered if you any of you experts could give me any ideas, whether this would be considered ok by the installers, or a better solution etc.

One more quick question. I know I'd be on a new 12 month contract with Virgin, but if I wanted to downgrade (say change TV package) during that time could I, or would I locked at that level?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

David

Ben B
25-08-2009, 00:59
Hi,

They would go round the side of the house to get the connection to where you wanted the TV as thats what they did to put my broadband feed in my dining room where the PC is located. The distance wouldn't really matter as they can turn up the signal if they need to so there would be no issues there. You can change TV package within the 12 months, you just can't get rid of it completely.

Ben :)

djcammy
25-08-2009, 01:15
Thanks for the reply Ben. Just what I needed to know. :tu:

The Installer
25-08-2009, 11:54
Just to confirm with you they will take the cable round the outside of the house.
I think if you ask them to go through the loft you will more than likely get the sorry mate no can do as it would be working at heights etc and the techs are not allowed to go more than 2 meters high (Health & Safety) ;)

LondonRoad
25-08-2009, 13:10
Just to confirm with you they will take the cable round the outside of the house.
I think if you ask them to go through the loft you will more than likely get the sorry mate no can do as it would be working at heights etc and the techs are not allowed to go more than 2 meters high (Health & Safety) ;)

They will usually let you run the cable through your loft yourself though. I've done that with both Sky and VM engineers. It saves them a bit of work and allowed me to have the cable installed where I wanted it.

djcammy
27-08-2009, 19:17
Thanks for all your comments everyone.

David

Peter_
27-08-2009, 20:36
They will usually let you run the cable through your loft yourself though. I've done that with both Sky and VM engineers. It saves them a bit of work and allowed me to have the cable installed where I wanted it.
My brother in law did exactly that and was there to help run the cables as they had a V box installed in the loft, you do the routing and they should be happy foir the help as it makes for a quick exit.

Have everywhere pre drilled before he arrives with weighted string hanging where required to enable easy pulling and routing of the cable.