PDA

View Full Version : Help making Wireless into Wired

mo5ha
24-08-2009, 16:18
Hey Guys,
Im new on this forum, hope you can help.

Well.. basically i have 20Mb Broadband and all these years iv had it wireless, however now i want to have it wired but i dont want to pay virgins £99 call out fee.

The set up is... everything is behind the tv (modem, router etc) in the front room downstairs (white virgiin wire split into one wire for the set top box and one for the modem whch is connected to a router) and i want to wire the modem directly to the computer in the back bedroom upstairs.

Can i drill a hole in the front room ceiling, into the back bedroom and just wire it like that to the computer or do i have to have another "white virgin box" fitted upstairs? will i loose my internet signal resulting in low speeds?

Sorry if i have confused you. i really dont want to pay £99 if its a simple case of drilling up into the ceiling which im sure virgin engineer wont do anyway.

Thanks

Kymmy
24-08-2009, 16:26
The best and cheapest way of doing it is just to buy a simple ethernet cable and either plug the cable from the computer directly to the modem or to one of the wired sockets on the modem.. There's no need to move the modem or pay for VM to move the modem. VM wouldn't set up an ethernet cable for you and thier call out fee would be just to move the modem..

PS..Welcome to the forum

mo5ha
24-08-2009, 17:22
The best and cheapest way of doing it is just to buy a simple ethernet cable and either plug the cable from the computer directly to the modem or to one of the wired sockets on the modem.. There's no need to move the modem or pay for VM to move the modem. VM wouldn't set up an ethernet cable for you and thier call out fee would be just to move the modem..

PS..Welcome to the forum

Thanks alot for the welcome and reply Kymmy.

So basically what your saying is by a ethernet cable and run it from the front room to the bedroom?

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Also could you recommend a good ethernet cable type as i will need quite abit and to support 20Meg thanks again

MovedGoalPosts
24-08-2009, 18:03
Any cat 5e cable should do the job. If you want to push the boat out then cat 6 is available, but at a significant cost.

You can buy premade which saves you the fiddly job of fitting the end plugs.

Kymmy
24-08-2009, 18:20
Just for reference cat5 is designed to cope with at least 100Mbps and Cat6 at least 1Gbps

mo5ha
24-08-2009, 18:41
thanks guys Cat5 it is then

Rimmer100
25-08-2009, 17:05
Any cat 5e cable should do the job. If you want to push the boat out then cat 6 is available, but at a significant cost.

Significant cost for Cat6? That may have been a few years ago.

Prices from ebuyer. Probably cheaper around.

Cat5e 10M = £2.75

Cat6 10M = £3.85

Hardly a massive difference!

There is not really much point running Cat6 from the modem as it is never going to saturate the 100mb limit on the Cat5e. If you ever buy a NAS and have a gigabit network card in your PC then Cat6 is the way to go.

I flood cabled my flat in Cat6 a few months ago. Can't remember what I paid back then, but even a 100m box of Belkin branded cable is only £45 now.

mo5ha
26-08-2009, 13:17
Significant cost for Cat6? That may have been a few years ago.

Prices from ebuyer. Probably cheaper around.

Cat5e 10M = £2.75

Cat6 10M = £3.85

Hardly a massive difference!

There is not really much point running Cat6 from the modem as it is never going to saturate the 100mb limit on the Cat5e. If you ever buy a NAS and have a gigabit network card in your PC then Cat6 is the way to go.

I flood cabled my flat in Cat6 a few months ago. Can't remember what I paid back then, but even a 100m box of Belkin branded cable is only £45 now.

Theres this cat6 cable from a computer shop near my house, which seems really cheap, should i just buy this? the fact that i will be only having 20Meg broadband going through this wont make a difference will it?

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=31886&category_id=181&manufacturer_id=0&tid=ert-625

Kymmy
26-08-2009, 13:36
cat5/cat6 won't make any difference unless you have a gigabit hub..

You'll find though that a lot of retailers now just sell cat6 as it has superceeded cat5

dd11
26-08-2009, 13:40
Wired up my house with CAT6 and gigabit switches last month, but its only really more for transferring data across the home network, like i just wanted it because i stream & transfer HD and big files across the network. i get about 420mbps max was expecting more, but dunno if thats just due to the switches i got not being the more expensive kind.

There wont be any difference if its just your pc to internet though.

mo5ha
29-08-2009, 17:39
Hey guys just wanted to thank you guys for the help, wow what a difference wired it up using 25m Cat6 cable and checked speed on speedtest.net and it was 2MEG wireless and now its 19.8MEG!! what a difference!!