PDA

View Full Version : Argh... Day 5 from new install still no 50m

idi
24-08-2009, 12:37
Hi all, 1st post so be kind ;)

I had a new install booked for last Thursday (20/8) with TV/Phone and BB. Only wanted the BB but took advantage that the bundle was cheaper than BB alone.

Anyhooos all went well with TV and phone but the BB just does not want to work. New modem was connected with the up and downstream locking on straight away but the modem refused to get an IP address, the tick light just kept flashing away. Installer plugged in a 20meg test modem he had and that worked fine. He fiddled a bit and made a few calls then ended up referring it over to networks and left. In the afternoon guy from networks came out and fiddled a bit more, tested with 10meg and 20meg which again worked fine, however the 50 wouldn't work even with his known good test modem. I was promised a call back next day.

Next day (Fri), no call so arranged for an engineer to pop out in the afternoon, no show. Phoned VM they apologised and rebooked for the following day (Sat).

Saturday morning I notice the modem is only able to get downstream lock but no upstream. Engineer turns up saying they changed something back at the hub (?) so I point out that whatever he changed has buggered things up further, he has a quick look and goes away again. A bit later another engineer rolls up and has a little fiddle, again tests with a 10 meg modem which works fine, his 50 meg does not. He goes off again. A little while later yet another engineer knocks the door and basically states they have been testing everything from the hub back to the cab and now just want to test from the house back, which they do and do not find any issues at all. They do however briefly manage to get the upstream to sync again on the modem but still no IP address. Engineer leaves and just as he leaves the modem looses upstream sync again.

This is basically where its at as of now, Modem locks downstream almost immediately but refuses to get upstream lock.

Any ideas as to what the hell is going on. The engineers are saying that I am the first person in the area to have 50 meg. They also are now saying its a configuration issue. I did get a call from an engineer yesterday who promised to give me an update but I missed his call so have no idea where things are at currently. Am awating a call from an area tech manager type person.

Obviously this is doing my head in at the moment

Cheers

Brian

*sloman*
25-08-2009, 10:47
Have they replace the 50mb modem? It could be faulty!

webcrawler2050
25-08-2009, 10:53
Follow these steps:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33653957-simple-self-test-steps-will-assist.html#post34852254

idi
25-08-2009, 11:33
Thanks for the replies

Have they replace the 50mb modem? It could be faulty!

Various engineers have tried thier own known good 50meg test modems and issue is identical on them.

Follow these steps:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33653957-simple-self-test-steps-will-assist.html#post34852254

Am not at home at the moment but will post levels later, I did have had a quick look at the levels the other day and compared with the info posted here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html) and nothing seemed untoward. The rest of the steps either I cannot do (ping speedtest etc) or I have done (reboot etc) ;)

FairyFairy
25-08-2009, 11:46
I've got no practical advice but just wanted to say you poor thing --- hope it gets sorted soon.

idi
26-08-2009, 10:05
Okies line is still dead in the water for 50m, stats from modem this morning are...

Kymmy
26-08-2009, 10:31
MODEM LOG and MODEM INFO Attachments removed, please remove the MAC & SERIAL numbers from the images before re-attaching