PDA

View Full Version : What exactly does the install involve?

greentomato
23-08-2009, 17:42
Hi there,

I'm getting Virgin Media V+ TV, phone and broadband (XL 20Mb) installed next week.

I was just wondering what exactly the installer will do?

The house is on 3 floors - on the bottom floor there is a NTL wire left from the previous occupants which went into their NTL TV box, and on the middle floor there are two NTL phone points. There is no NTL stuff on the top floor.

I would ideally like the TV installed on the bottom floor where there is already a NTL wire, and would like a phone point here too. I would like the broadband to be installed on the top floor as that's where the office will be. Will the installer be able to do this?

Also how does the broadband get set up - do I do it myself or will the installer do it? I understand he will bring a modem and a router - I only have one laptop and would like to use it on a wire to make sure I get the full speed (wireless can sometimes be unreliable can't it?) so can I just put a single ethernet cable from the modem to the laptop and leave the router in its box, then set it up myself if I need it in the future? Or is the router needed to set things up? Final question - i've heard that you need to use a set up disk to activate and install your broadband - my laptop doesn't have a CD drive - I assumed it could be installed by typing in the setup address like 192.168.0.1 into Internet Explorer like I did when I was setting up ADSL telephone line broadband for a friend and just putting in a username and password, but I guess it must be differnet with cable?

Sorry one more thing - talking of usernames and passwords - how do I know what my username and password and email address is? Will it come with the welcome pack (what does that contain exactly?)

Thanks so much for your help and sorry for being a complete beginner!

Clive :)

devilincarnate
23-08-2009, 18:18
Yes they will be able to install where you request it to be done and in regards to the bb they will give you the discs to get this sorted and then all you need to do is set up your own email address . That is what i did and when i signed up for virgin in feb i had not got bb before and it is really easy to get set up .

Sorry did not read it fully but you may need to talk to the enginneer to fine out if they wiould be able to get this set up , they should have asked these questions or you should have at the point of ordering the services.

KingDaveRa
23-08-2009, 19:23
I set up my router without the CDs. Actually, I don't think I even opened the box. Told the engineer I had my own router I wanted to use, so he just made sure it worked on my laptop, and that was that!

nodrogd
23-08-2009, 23:26
Doesn't require a CD when connecting direct to a cable modem. Engineer will register the modem on the system and when you open your browser for the first time you will be directed to the setup pages automatically.