PDA

View Full Version : Number Port Problem - One Very Angry Customer!

Leigh79
19-08-2009, 15:16
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light/has any advice really.

Having already been a happy Virgin broadband customer, they were the obvious choice when we decided to get a TV/Phone Package.

I called them up and asked if I could add on the XL TV and Large Phone but on the condition that I could transfer over a specific phone number. We were originally BT customers and has 2 phone numbers on the same line - our private residential number and another number for my husband's business (self employed). Any calls to my husbands business number would use a different ring tone (BT Call Sign). Naturally, as we couldn't move over 2 numbers we wanted to ensure that the number ported would be the business number, my husband advertises in various publications and to not have this number would cause major problems.

I was assured at the time I made the order that there would be no problems moving over the second number. I then called about a week before installation with an unrelated query and whilst on I asked the girl to confirm the phone number that was being ported - she replied back with the business number - all is well - or so I thought.

Saturday morning and the installation engineer appeared at 8.30am, the TV was up and running within minutes, however there was a 'delay with the phone number porting' he said. He gave us his bosses mobile number and said that it should only take around 20 minutes for the line to be up and running and that we would receive a test call.

20 minutes came and went - at about 3pm my husband called the phone number left for the engineer and left a message. When the engineer returned our call my husband explained that our phone line was still not working and that when he tried ringing our 2 old phone numbers they had been disconnected, the engineer said that he couldn't do anything about it now until Monday.

On Monday the phone line still wasn't working - I called the engineer twice once at 2.30pm and then at 5.45pm - no answer both times, so I left messages.

Called again on Tuesday - no answer.

Finally got through to him today and quickly explained the situation, he said that he didn't work a Monday and that he wouldn't have told my husband it would be looked into then. He then told me he 'would look into it' and give me a call back - not heard anything since...

I am now really concerned that we have 'lost' my husbands phone number - obviously this will have a large impact on his business, prospective customers calling from one of his adverts, only to be met with a disconnected line aren't going to be impressed!

Where do I go from here?

BenMcr
19-08-2009, 15:32
I would complain about the agent that sold the phoneline in a VERY big way

There is no way that Virgin can place 2 numbers on one line - they don't do anything like Call Sign. Never have.

However I know it isn't exactly helpful but if the business number is being ported then the number that will be lost is the personal one

Leigh79
19-08-2009, 15:35
Hi Ben

Thanks for the reply.

It is just one phone number that we requested to port - but it was the second number on our BT line not our main residential number.

BenMcr
19-08-2009, 15:41
Ok, so not so bad for the agent then

EDIT: Now I re-read it I can see you said that. That'll teach me to skim ;)

The problem is a number port usually tells the original provider you want to cancel the account. I'm not sure how BT would dealt with requesting the additional number.

You would need to establish why the port failed which Customer Services should be to do (by talking to the Porting team within VM)

If it is booked on correctly and accepted by BT the number should swap over the day the install is completed

Unfortunately without more detail I couldn't say why it failed.

Leigh79
19-08-2009, 15:46
Do you think that we've now effectively 'lost' the phone number, or will they still be able to port it over?

BenMcr
19-08-2009, 15:53
If BT have accepted the number port you will have kept the number.

Sorry I can't be more specific

Mr_Moo
19-08-2009, 16:13
Firstly, if the phone is being used for business, then get a business line. If you get a fault on the line, it will be fixed in 4 hours, UK customer services, UK faults centre, etc. If you get a fault on the residential line, you'd be waiting god knows how long.

Call business customer services (ntl:telewest) on 0800 359 1800 opt. 5

A single 'BEL' line costs £11 a month I believe. Explain to them about the port and they should contact the port team who in turn will contact BT porting.

Leigh79
19-08-2009, 17:16
Hi - Thanks for the response

Firstly, if the phone is being used for business, then get a business line. If you get a fault on the line, it will be fixed in 4 hours, UK customer services, UK faults centre, etc. If you get a fault on the residential line, you'd be waiting god knows how long.

You are right, we should probably get a business line - my husband is a tiler so throughout the day he is only contactable by mobile.

Call business customer services (ntl:telewest) on 0800 359 1800 opt. 5

A single 'BEL' line costs £11 a month I believe. Explain to them about the port and they should contact the port team who in turn will contact BT porting.

Can I call this number with regards to the problems I'm having just now or is this number only once a business line is in place?

Mr_Moo
19-08-2009, 18:25
He can divert the calls to his mobile during the day. You would have to talk with the sales team/customer services about adding on diverts and/or discuss whatever is the best setup to have.

You could speak with them regarding this, but it's a bit hit or miss as business isn't essentially anything to do with Virgin Media what so ever.
If you took a phone line and mentioned this to them as you're on the phone, they could look into it. ntl:telewest isn't Virgin Media and there is little communication between the two. They are, at the end of the day, two completely separate companies.

Failing this and you lose the number, kick up a MASSIVE fuss with Virgin. Being as they promised you the number. As long as you've moved within the same area dialling code, there shouldn't be a problem.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

You could ask for a 'centrex' line. I think it's the same price or £13, but comes with loads of features, therefore wouldn't have to pay for 'extras'. Though might not be able to do it as centrex is 2 or more lines. Too much detail to explain, not really relevant and I'm sure business sales will explain all this.

I would discuss the porting this sooner rather than later, though.

Numbers get put in a pool and are 'usually' given out again after 3 months. But I don't know that for sure, so better safe than sorry.

dave_dph
19-08-2009, 18:32
I have a strange feeling that Call Sign numbers cannot be ported, though I may be wrong. I'm pretty sure BT only allow the primary number to port.

Kymmy
19-08-2009, 18:32

I agree, if you use a line for business then you should get a business contract, otherwise you will be on residential SLA's. BTW the SLA for business lines is 6 hours and not 4 hours

Mr_Moo
19-08-2009, 18:50
Is it really Kimmy?

The 4 hour SLA we work towards at work as 2nd line business / voice technical support analysts must be wrong then ;)

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

We could argue the ntl / telewest split, though.

Leigh79
25-08-2009, 20:05
Update:

Still waiting for our line to be activated - we can now make outgoing calls and the number displayed is the correct phone number, but can't receive incoming calls.

Virgin have advised that the 'fault' will be corrected by tommorrow... we shall see!

Mr_Moo
25-08-2009, 20:13
As soon as they do, transfer it to a business account. You won't get any of this nonsense.