PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Slim officially announced and pricing

SnoopZ
19-08-2009, 13:59
Sony have officially announced the new smaller PS3 console. It will retail in 1st September.

The console comes equipped with a 120GB removable hard disk, Wifi and 2 USB ports, however there won't be any IR or backwards compatibility for PS2 games. In USA it will retail at $299 which is $100 cheaper than the current console.

Source and more photos:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10312144-1.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10109_7-10001398-1.html?s=0&o=10001398&tag=mncol;thum

icestar2
19-08-2009, 14:00
Will be between £245 and £249 over here in the UK.

webcrawler2050
19-08-2009, 14:01
Sony have officially announced the new smaller PS3 console. It will retail in late September.

The console comes equipped with a 120GB removable hard disk, Wifi and 2 USB ports, however there won't be any IR or backwards compatibility for PS2 games. In USA it will retail at $299 which is $100 cheaper than the current console.

Source and more photos:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10312144-1.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10109_7-10001398-1.html?s=0&o=10001398&tag=mncol;thum

I like it but...

Just doesn't look as shexay as the current :(

SnoopZ
19-08-2009, 14:02
I think it looks nice, i have no plans to buy it as i have a Xbox 360, but i wish the xbox looked like that! Small and tidy and solid looking.

icestar2
19-08-2009, 14:15
I like it but...

Just doesn't look as shexay as the current :(

Hmmmm I didnt like it at all when I first seen it but its growing on me I have to admitt. I still pre-fair its older Phat model lol :)

SnoopZ
19-08-2009, 14:16
Will be between £245 and £249 over here in the UK.

Correct, you can pre-order from game.co.uk for £249.99 and it's showing a release date of 1st September.

webcrawler2050
19-08-2009, 14:21
No backwards compatability!!!! What on earth is going on with Sony as of late, they seem to have really lost their touch with the Playstation at the moment.

icestar2
19-08-2009, 14:24
No backwards compatability!!!! What on earth is going on with Sony as of late, they seem to have really lost their touch with the Playstation at the moment.

The PS2 is still doing very well and bringing them alot of revenue. I believe that BC will be comming in a firmware update eventually but not for a while yet.

webcrawler2050
19-08-2009, 14:29
The PS2 is still doing very well and bringing them alot of revenue. I believe that BC will be comming in a firmware update eventually but not for a while yet.

I wish the PS3 would get it's act together - i really want one, but it seems the 360 has the bigger library..

icestar2
19-08-2009, 14:35
I wish the PS3 would get it's act together - i really want one, but it seems the 360 has the bigger library..

To be fair Sony has come a long, long way with the PS3 since its launch and you've got to give credit for that. Yes the 360 has the bigger libary atm but with the recent Exclusives to Sony things are looking to be much brighter and the gap is closing imo. Both consoles are excellent imho and have very good points to them.

Both consoles can always do more if they wanted to but I think were starting to push it now. I remember when a gaming console was just that a gaming console. Now we can play videos, look at our pictures, play music, dvd's, Blu-rays, HD dvd's, browse the web, play online and loads load more yet people are still not happy (Not aimed at you in any way webcrawler).

I think at some point companys have to say "ok we aren't going to please everyone, what can we do to please most" and I think they've ben doing that very well upto now. Just my opinion of course which no-one might agree with lol.

zing_deleted
19-08-2009, 14:36
Query how do they expect to keep it all cool enough to keep running? there is quite a bit of tech in the PS3 a lot of which generates heat. Small and slim is not always the way to go imo

icestar2
19-08-2009, 14:40
Query how do they expect to keep it all cool enough to keep running? there is quite a bit of tech in the PS3 a lot of which generates heat. Small and slim is not always the way to go imo

Good question but they seemed to do it fairly well with the PS2. Yes I know there was alot less going on inside that box but maybe with the slim using 30+% less power it will generate less heat to. I'm sure its been put through its paces. Sony are usually pretty good about things like that but I guess we'll fnd out soon enough.

chrispuk2004
19-08-2009, 14:51
I was going to sell my PS3 for the slim. But i prefer the look of the current one. If it looked the same but smaller, it would have been a winner imo

BenMcr
19-08-2009, 15:15
I believe that BC will be comming in a firmware update eventually but not for a while yet.I can't see how - there is no hardware left in the PS3 to run PS2 games

They moved from full hardware support in the first PS3s in the US to part hardware/part software support for the first PS3s in the UK (2nd Gen) and then completely removed it

See the table here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Models

I've got the 40Gb 3rd Generation one and it definately doesn't do PS2 games

icestar2
19-08-2009, 17:14
I can't see how - there is no hardware left in the PS3 to run PS2 games

They moved from full hardware support in the first PS3s in the US to part hardware/part software support for the first PS3s in the UK (2nd Gen) and then completely removed it

See the table here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Models

I've got the 40Gb 3rd Generation one and it definately doesn't do PS2 games

Some PS2 games could be simulated on the PC via software so it shouldn't be to hard to do for Sony. If I remember rightly they filed a Patent not to long ago that was linked to the possibility but not sure how true that is. Tbh I dont see it making that much of a diffrence even if they do include it. I dont think it will drive sales like people are claiming.

Plus they were meant to be launching PS2 classic's on the PSN store eventually right ? Am sure they said something about this a good while back or did they abandon this ?. Would be a bit usless if most of the install base could not play them.

Callumpy
19-08-2009, 17:43
Looks nice. But the 360 is loads cheaper and in my opinion much better.

SB_07
19-08-2009, 17:46
But it's still a PS3

/fanboy

j/k

cimt
19-08-2009, 18:03
The thing is with Sony is that with each model of the PS3, they seem to be removing something else... I know on some models of the PS3 there's a slot thing that lifts up near the disc tray, mine doesn't have that. I've even forgot what's usually under it. Sony sorta screwed it up TBH. I'd still be buying PS2 games if mine had backwards compatibility.

And now to be fully on topic:

I prefer the look of the original. Plus, with it being a lot smaller and maybe having less power, won't that effect how games run?

Damien
19-08-2009, 18:12
The thing is with Sony is that with each model of the PS3, they seem to be removing something else... I know on some models of the PS3 there's a slot thing that lifts up near the disc tray, mine doesn't have that. I've even forgot what's usually under it. Sony sorta screwed it up TBH. I'd still be buying PS2 games if mine had backwards compatibility.

And now to be fully on topic:

I prefer the look of the original. Plus, with it being a lot smaller and maybe having less power, won't that effect how games run?

No. It's just that the technology which was really powerful then can be made smaller, cheaper and more efficient now.

BenMcr
19-08-2009, 18:16
I know on some models of the PS3 there's a slot thing that lifts up near the disc tray, mine doesn't have that.SD/Memory Stick card readers. No biggy really

I prefer the look of the original. Plus, with it being a lot smaller and maybe having less power, won't that effect how games run?No because the chips are the same specification, just made smaller and require less power. Same as how you can now play PSone games on a handheld

icestar2
19-08-2009, 19:59
If anyone is intrested in seeing what it looks like getting unboxed and shown up close then there a video over on joystiq.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/19/video-joystiq-unboxes-the-ps3-slim/

Tezcatlipoca
19-08-2009, 20:37

"Less power" as in it consumes less electricity. The spec. is the same.

Callumpy
20-08-2009, 01:40
If anyone is intrested in seeing what it looks like getting unboxed and shown up close then there a video over on joystiq.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/19/video-joystiq-unboxes-the-ps3-slim/

Wow, the pictures on that site where they comapre it next to other consoles. Its just a bit smaller than a 360 and loads bigger than the PS2 Slim. Its doesnt seem much different to the normal PS3 to me

zing_deleted
20-08-2009, 10:28
I certainly prefer matt black to piano black any day of the week though :)

Damien
20-08-2009, 10:59
I want one, but don't really want any games for the ps3 :(

Tezcatlipoca
20-08-2009, 20:22
I certainly prefer matt black to piano black any day of the week though :)

Yup.

I hate the glossy black of the PS3 (& the iPhone). Horrendous dust & fingerprint magnet.

I want one, but don't really want any games for the ps3 :(

I think the 360 still just about beats the PS3 for exclusive games, but there are still some excellent exclusives on the PS3, including Uncharted (& soon the sequel), MGS4, Killzone 2, & LittleBigPlanet.

It's also an excellent media player (better than the 360 IMO) & Blu-ray player.

BenMcr
20-08-2009, 23:19
It's also an excellent media player (better than the 360 IMO) & Blu-ray player.I bought mine for the very fact it was an upgradable Blu-Ray player.

That it did games was an added bonus ;)

SnoopZ
21-08-2009, 00:37
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can't install another OS on the new PS3 slim.

In its infinite wisdom, Sony has removed the "install other OS" feature (Settings -> System Settings -> Install Other OS) and official Linux support along with it. The current 80- and 160GB PS3s support Linux, but Sony's cut the cord on the Slim because it wants to "standardize" the OS. Counting down to open-source hack in 3, 2…http://gizmodo.com/5341207/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-ps3-slim

RealDiamond
21-08-2009, 23:55
Why are people Surprised BY Cheaper = Stripped.
You've Gone from £425 down to £249. Smaller HDD than 160GB MODEL. NO PSN Game content worth £50 and LINUX add on removed from its firmware. NO BC and NO SACD and loss of 2 USB ports. no memory card readers. May also need a third party stand to stand up right now.

PS2 games WILL only a playable By PSN downloads Sony wrote the BC CODE conversion library for Developer kits to convert the PS2 CODE to the PS3s Power PC CELL, PS3 is not run on INTELL CPUs, The Developers were not able to Justify the cost by doing it them selves.

For example FF7 worked on all PS3s and PS2s. FF8 does not. It fails to run on most PS2s and its Failure rate is even higher on PAL 60GB PS3 models and this is just a PS1 title that has these problems.

Tezcatlipoca
22-08-2009, 16:00
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can't install another OS on the new PS3 slim.

http://gizmodo.com/5341207/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-ps3-slim

No big loss IMO, & I doubt many people ever bothered with it anyway.

From what I've read, Linux on the PS3 was too much of a hassle, & too many things were locked down, for it to really be much use.

Why are people Surprised BY Cheaper = Stripped.
You've Gone from £425 down to £249. Smaller HDD than 160GB MODEL. NO PSN Game content worth £50 and LINUX add on removed from its firmware. NO BC and NO SACD and loss of 2 USB ports. no memory card readers. May also need a third party stand to stand up right now.

The 160GB model was only a limited release though, & hasn't been in production for a while.

Although the 120GB HDD of the Slim is smaller than the 160GB model's HDD, it is bigger than the current Fat model's 80GB HDD, which in turn was bigger than the previous Fat model's 40GB HDD (although that was smaller than the previous 60GB model).

Linux removed... meh.

PS2 BC, SACD, 2 USB ports, memory card readers... these were all removed nearly two years ago, with the replacement of the 60GB Fatty with the 40GB Fatty.

SnoopZ
22-08-2009, 16:36
The new PS3 Slim has some improved audio options.

Officially PS3 slim will have bitstreaming capability to your AV Reciever. For those who don't know what this means I'll explain. This means that PS3 now has passthrough capability for HD audio from Blu-ray discs. This is huge because now if you have a higher end AVR unit, PS3 will pass the HD signal untouched and let your AVR decode and you will see the TrueHD, DTS-MA etc light up on your receiver.http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=814586&hl=

Tezcatlipoca
22-08-2009, 16:41
I wonder if that's a FW3 feature, rather than specific to the Slim. Can't see why only the Slim could do it.

BenMcr
22-08-2009, 17:00
Seems to be some confusion of whether it can or not. Some sites are saying the Slim has a new HDMI chip which allows it

As an aside there also seems to be HDMI CEC control coming 'BraviaSync' (your TV turns on and to the right input when you turn your PS3 on, PS3 turns off when you turn off the TV etc) but again dunno if thats a slim only thing or not

Tezcatlipoca
22-08-2009, 17:17
Don't think it'd need a new HDMI chip though, the PS3 has always been HDMI v1.3.

HDMI 1.3 added support for Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreams, so you'd think the PS3 should be able to do it... it's just that for some reason the PS3 itself has never previously been able to : it can only (at the moment?) internally decode them & output as multi-channel LPCM.

BenMcr
22-08-2009, 17:26
Guess we will have to wait until the 1st and see what happens.

The CEC is what I want though - my PS3 isn't plugged into a A/V reciever

Hom3r
23-08-2009, 00:06
I would have bought a PC3, but as Sony cannot be bother to release a BC PS3 to the UK market (other than very very Ltd Ed models that where like roking horse poo to get hold of, plus they cost a small fortune), I couldn't be bother to buy one, and gave my cash to Microsoft instead, I haven't regreted it.

SnoopZ
24-08-2009, 12:14
Shopto.net (http://www.shopto.net/PS3/GAMES/PS3SLIM-PS3%20Slim%20120GB.html) have this priced at £229.99 for anyone who maybe thinking of purchasing it.

The current 80gb PS3 is also to be reduced in price to £249.99 from August 19th.

With the introduction of the new PS3 system, SCEI will also reduce the price of the current PS3 with 80GB HDD to a RRP of £249.99 from August 19.

http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/news/articles/detail/item229653/?WT.mc_id=EMAIL-HTML-link1-en_GB-110602

STONEISLAND
24-08-2009, 12:26
I would have bought a PC3, but as Sony cannot be bother to release a BC PS3 to the UK market (other than very very Ltd Ed models that where like roking horse poo to get hold of, plus they cost a small fortune), I couldn't be bother to buy one, and gave my cash to Microsoft instead, I haven't regreted it.

I'm trying to get my head around why everyone wants it to play PS2 games? its a PS3 the next gen:rolleyes:!!!!!! Why spend all that money just to play PS2 games? If you want to play PS2 games go to ebay and pick a PS2 for about £20!!

RealDiamond
24-08-2009, 17:54
I'm trying to get my head around why everyone wants it to play PS2 games? its a PS3 the next gen:rolleyes:!!!!!! Why spend all that money just to play PS2 games? If you want to play PS2 games go to ebay and pick a PS2 for about £20!! Because as you have said there are MUGs on ebay that will pay stupid prices for stuff. with BC PS3 they can sell there PS2 it an over inflated price to the MUGs, but then still have there PS2 back catalogue playable on PS3. and not pay out again for FF7, MGS, Tekken Via PSN downloads. The fact that 60GB versions are going UP in price as the sellers think you are the same as the MUG you sold your PS2 Too, has screwed up there wonderfull world.

The UK 160GB model was a limited edition but there were bucket loads in the UK. If you wanted one YOU could have got one then. The US version was still selling last week.

icestar2
24-08-2009, 18:04
I bought the 60GB model but not because of the BC but because that was the first out in the UK. To date since the PS3 launch I've played 1 PS2 game on it and that was one of the older Tomb Raider games because it was not comming out on PS3.

To sum up I wouldn't be bothered if the PS3 had not had BC in the first place and its not the sales driver its being made out it could of been imo. PS2's are so cheap now anyway and I would of just kept my PS2 slim had I wanted to play more PS2 games.

Tezcatlipoca
24-08-2009, 20:38
I'm trying to get my head around why everyone wants it to play PS2 games? its a PS3 the next gen:rolleyes:!!!!!! Why spend all that money just to play PS2 games? If you want to play PS2 games go to ebay and pick a PS2 for about £20!!

Because people with a large collection of PS2 games may want the ability to still play them after upgrading to a PS3?

As for me... I don't have any PS2 games, but if I did have a PS2 BC PS3, I'd love to be able play God of War I & II, along with Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.

STONEISLAND
24-08-2009, 20:40
As for me... I don't have any PS2 games, but if I did have a PS2 BC PS3, I'd love to be able play God of War I & II, along with Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.

If only you had time. ;)

Paranoimia
25-08-2009, 14:38

Never could follow that logic. "The PS3 won't play PS2 games, so I bought a 360." Riiiight... because the 360 is so good at playing PS2 games...

I've got a launch 60Gb with all the bells and whistles, but I traded in my PS2 and all the games a week later... as good as they were, I just couldn't go back to them. I played exactly one PS2 game on my PS3, and that was Tomb Raider Anniversary. If I was that interested in playing my old games, I'd have kept the PS2, or bought another one... it's not like it's an expensive system now.

I don't understand this "360 has the bigger library" argument either. Yes, it has games from before the PS3 was launched, but from that point on, the libraries are basically the same. All major 3rd-party titles get released on both platforms, unless MS buy exclusivity.

I've nothing against the 360 as a system (I play on a friend's occasionally), but it holds no real attraction for me with regard to owning one. It has maybe 2 exclusive titles that I'd be interested in playing, and it's not worth the purchase just for those. For me, the PS3 exclusives pee all over the 360s from a very great height.

Fanboy? No. I don't prefer the PS3 because I have one, I have one because I prefer the games it offers. And the games are what it's all about.

Hom3r
25-08-2009, 22:02
I have 60 odd PS2 games, and wanted a next gen machine, I tried to get a BC PS3 so I could play some of my older games, that I love to play, and could remove my old PS2 and only have 1 machine.

As I couldn't get a BC PS3, and would have two machines I looked at both the PS3 & 360, as most of my mates had a 360 I went for that.

dilli-theclaw
26-08-2009, 08:54
For those that are interested in such things..... Here is a teardown of the new ps3 slim.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation-3-Slim/1121/1

Me - well I fancy one, but I doubt I'd get enough out of it :(

STONEISLAND
26-08-2009, 09:59
For those that are interested in such things..... Here is a teardown of the new ps3 slim.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation-3-Slim/1121/1

Me - well I fancy one, but I doubt I'd get enough out of it :(

Do you have a bluray player?

ShadowTD
26-08-2009, 11:57
It's just that little bit too expensive. If it was £200, I'd be grabbing one as a blu-ray player for downstairs and to play Uncharted and a few others. £250 means I'll be Xbox only for a little while longer.

RealDiamond
29-08-2009, 02:12
Its now coming to light that the US stores/shops are selling new "PS3s" as they get the deliveries of the PS3s. So NOW, not next week...in US..

The build quality of the New BD/DVD/CD drive is being questioned already as its one way of saving power. AKA Slower but the new JAVA technology built in is FASTER for BD menus but the NEW chips is not so good at doing HDMI upscale it can do the new bit stream audio fine but the upscale is worse.

And don't say who cares about DVD, the other sites did this and are getting slated by there readers as new TV shows are still not all on BD only DVD.

And yes, it appears that the AA PS3 games and BD High quality transfer films will cause the Slims fan to go as high in noise as the 60GB. but it takes longer. aka playing Killzone for 2 hours and then instantly putting the BD movie in.

icestar2
29-08-2009, 15:35
And don't say who cares about DVD, the other sites did this and are getting slated by there readers as new TV shows are still not all on BD only DVD.

Tbh I dont unless my 60GB break's down and am looking for another console. I do think its a bit of a silly move. Will wait till I hear more about it though before making a judgement.

And yes, it appears that the AA PS3 games and BD High quality transfer films will cause the Slims fan to go as high in noise as the 60GB. but it takes longer. aka playing Killzone for 2 hours and then instantly putting the BD movie in.

Well again wouldn't bother me had I had to get one as I already have the 60GB and tbh the fan aint very noisy at all. When it kick's in you can tell but after a minute or two I forget its even there myself. It would make sense though with the size of the console that it would need some powerful fans to keep it cool.

BenMcr
02-09-2009, 01:47
Well I have to say Firmware 3.0 for the older PS3 is a big lot of nothing!

alexcopeland
02-09-2009, 02:52
well i have to say firmware 3.0 for the older ps3 is a big lot of nothing!

so true.

RealDiamond
02-09-2009, 13:27
heres the bit that matters...

Settings

[Audio Multi-Output] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
[HDD Content Audio Language] and [HDD Content Subtitle Language] have been added as options under [Video Settings].

Thats the bit needed for Novembers Film store. With out this Sonys Film store for EU would Never be, the Storage cost for Film files would be expensive..

Graham M
02-09-2009, 16:04
The IPlayer (although it obviously just opens the web browser) link is very handy

MMORGHUnter
11-09-2009, 22:57
Hmmm... is it expensive or its worth the payment?

RealDiamond
26-09-2009, 14:19
updated

250GB PS3 slim model in production ;).
Starting October 1 :shocked:, UK gamers can get a 250GB PS3 with either inFamous (http://ps3.qj.net/category/inFamous/cid/5205) :td: or two unnamed Platinum titles bundled with it :monkey:.

Another bundle will be rolled in the UK on October 16 :hyper:, this time packing a copy of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (http://ps3.qj.net/category/Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves/cid/5410). Finally, on October 19, a third bundle with X-Men Origins: Wolverine (http://www.qj.net/tags/wolverine/3693) and The Dark Knight Blu-ray (http://www.qj.net/Five-250GB-PS3-Slim-bundles-confirmed-for-Europe-UK/pg/49/aid/134800#) movies and a Blu-ray remote will become available at retail.

The UK-specific bundles have already been given a price tag £284.99 . Replaces the 160GB model That was the previous bundle version.

PS3 120 GB slim owners Have just had their balls crushed in a vice after only 1 MONTH by Sony as this will price crash the version they just payed for.

Ravenheart
27-09-2009, 16:23
Toys R Us are selling the PS3 Slim for £229 at the moment spotted it yesterday while out and about.