PDA

View Full Version : Modem Change

Welshchris
18-08-2009, 16:52
I just had a technician out that changed my modem due to a fault.

What ive noticed is that since the change where i was on DOCSIS 1.1 im now back to DOCSIS 1.0.

Any ideas?

Welshchris
28-08-2009, 00:37
Here w go again....

The Same issues as i was getting before the transfer to DOCSIS 3.0 BSR...

Now im back on the DOCSIS 1.0 UBR for some reason since modem change connection is tediously slow...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/550209993.png

Ive also started having page time outs again also.

xocemp
28-08-2009, 06:07
Rather than just moaning why not post your stats for upstream power / downstream power & downstream SNR. Ping & tracert to www.google.com

Welshchris
28-08-2009, 13:05
i have done to second line support AGAIN for the third time and for the third time they claim everything is fine.

Kymmy
28-08-2009, 13:18
Aslo there is another thread going somewhere about docsis 1.1 firmwares beign rolled back because of problems, this might be why you're back on 1.0

Welshchris
28-08-2009, 19:11
Kymmy, but im having a damn sight more issues back on the older docsis 1 UBR, my UBR has completly changed since the modem change and Virgin claim its not even possible to move a user/modem from 1 UBR to the other and i can prove its happened.

Ignitionnet
29-08-2009, 10:22
Kymmy, but im having a damn sight more issues back on the older docsis 1 UBR, my UBR has completly changed since the modem change and Virgin claim its not even possible to move a user/modem from 1 UBR to the other and i can prove its happened.

They probably mean not possible to move people from one to another on the legacy network, it's possible to move you from overlay to original and back easily enough.

Welshchris
29-08-2009, 16:51
Broadbanding so its possible for them to put me back onto the DOCSIS 3.0 network where i was before the modem change... Second line support have even tried stating that 20mb users are not using the motorolla kit at one point and one even said that they cant esculate a problem with network team lol

its rediculous.

cpc2-cwma7-2-0-cust***.*-*.cable.virginmedia.com DOCSIS 3.0
cpc3-cwma4-0-0-cust***.swan.cable.ntl.com now since modem change.

Tech_Boy
29-08-2009, 19:15
Have you tried escalating this via the Newsgroups?

Kymmy
29-08-2009, 19:30
No experience of this but if people are having problems with the 1.1 firmware and VM are rolling back then surely those rolled back will go to a 1.0 enabled rack until they sort out the problem??? Hence the change to a different UBR and the what looks like over subscription (hence the slow)

Welshchris
29-08-2009, 20:07
Kymmy the problem i was getting wasnt with the 1.1 docsis, it was with uptream power being to high but the tech who came out not being bothered said all he could do was change the modem.

Ignitionnet
29-08-2009, 20:09
Broadbanding so its possible for them to put me back onto the DOCSIS 3.0 network where i was before the modem change... Second line support have even tried stating that 20mb users are not using the motorolla kit at one point and one even said that they cant esculate a problem with network team lol

Perfectly possible but one can assume there's a good reason why you were taken off it. They wouldn't have taken such a step for fun.

Kymmy
29-08-2009, 20:15
Kymmy the problem i was getting wasnt with the 1.1 docsis, it was with uptream power being to high but the tech who came out not being bothered said all he could do was change the modem.

But as the firmware upgrade is automated I'm sure that there's a good reason as to why it's been turned off in your particular area..

[edit] I presume that the 2/3 line support people would have no control over the firmware rollouts? If so then you can't really assume that they'd upgrade a person based on a request..

Ignitionnet
29-08-2009, 20:21
But as the firmware upgrade is automated I'm sure that there's a good reason as to why it's been turned off in your particular area..

[edit] I presume that the 2/3 line support people would have no control over the firmware rollouts? If so then you can't really assume that they'd upgrade a person based on a request..

Correct, it'd be everyone in the local area on 20Mbit having to be moved, it can't be done for a single customer.

Welshchris
29-08-2009, 23:50
broadbandings i have it on good authority everyone in swansea on 20mb has been switched to the docsis 3.0 now. I have checked with a friend of mine in Swansea and his modem is still on docsis 3.0.

What i cant understand, is why the switched me from a non oversubscribed BSR to an "Oversubscribed Overspill UBR" when modem was changed. It makes no sence.

xocemp
30-08-2009, 11:53
Chris if you were moved you won't be the only one, not every 20Mbit customer in Swansea will be on the next generation kit.
I don't know the reason of why you and others may have been moved, but others on maybe your upstream/card would have been moved to legacy kit.

As Kymmy and Broadbandings have pointed out, it simply wouldn't be possible to select one modem and tell it to re-tune.

If this has been done it been done for a reason, why not just tough it out for a while.

Edit
Where have you gotten this notion of there being a "Overspill uBR"?

Ignitionnet
30-08-2009, 12:36
broadbandings i have it on good authority everyone in swansea on 20mb has been switched to the docsis 3.0 now. I have checked with a friend of mine in Swansea and his modem is still on docsis 3.0.

What i cant understand, is why the switched me from a non oversubscribed BSR to an "Oversubscribed Overspill UBR" when modem was changed. It makes no sence.

Given that you don't run off Swansea directly but Cwmbwrla that's understandable.

Nothing was done to you personally, everyone at very least on your card is going to be on the legacy equipment or will be next time they reset their modem.

The reason the other statement makes no sense is because it isn't true, there's no 'overspill' that CMTS is home to all those lovely 2 and 10Mbit customers on your fibre optic node, and evidently 20Mbit as well. As I said I'm sure there's a very good reason, maybe some customers are unable to connect to the BSR reliably so they've rolled back.

There are some BSRs and 10ks with oversubscribed upstreams just FYI, and upstream oversubscription is many orders more unpleasant than downstream...

Welshchris
30-08-2009, 19:50
broadbandings the only probs i was getting was a high powerlevel on the upstream on the BSR and the tech said it was my modem lol and thast why he changed it, i dont think the BSR was oversubscribed. Thats why i cant understand why since the modem change i went from a non overloaded BSR to an Overloaded UBR