PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions about VM's 50MB broadband.

BomberAF
17-08-2009, 20:32
Hi chaps.

I have got a couple of questions about Virgins 50Mb broadband and their claims, here goes:

1. They claim that you can achieve download speeds of up to 50MB but does this mean that you can actually download a single file at 50MB or does it just mean that you can dowload multiple files which will mean that you can download multiple files which will total 50MB. Also if the later is true what is the max dowload speed you can achieve while downloading 1 file?

2. Is it possible to connect your pc to the modem that they supply you with via an ethernet cable and also use the router supplied for other pc's and laptops in the house?

Matt-08
17-08-2009, 20:40
An ethernet cable goes from your modem to your router. Your router has 4 ethernet ports where you can connect your wired devices.

Halcyon
17-08-2009, 20:40
Yes you should be abole to plug your modem straight into your PC's ethernet socket using an ethernet cable.
The router can be used elswhere in your setup. Should be fine.

Obviously if you want it to share Internet access you would need the modem to go into the router and then each of your computers into the router to share internet access.

BomberAF
17-08-2009, 20:46
Yes you should be abole to plug your modem straight into your PC's ethernet socket using an ethernet cable.
The router can be used elswhere in your setup. Should be fine.

Obviously if you want it to share Internet access you would need the modem to go into the router and then each of your computers into the router to share internet access.

So if I wanted to share the interweb connection would I not be able to connect any pc with an ethernet cable and ALL pc's/laptops would HAVE to use wireless connections, or is it possible to set it up so that my pc is connected to the web via an ethernet cable and then I would be able to attach a router for other pc's within the house hold?

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

An ethernet cable goes from your modem to your router. Your router has 4 ethernet ports where you can connect your wired devices.

So I connect the router straight to the modem and then from the router I can connect my PC to the web with an ethernet cable.

Thanks for the help, and excuse my above post I never read this psot properly. Also what is the deal with downloading?

Halcyon
17-08-2009, 21:14
Just connect the modem to the router and then your computer to the router by ethernet.

Then you can choose which other computers you want to access the net by just plugging them or unplugging them from the router.

Hugh
17-08-2009, 21:45
Bomber, just so you don't get too disappointed first time you run a speed test or a download, it's 50 (Megabits per second) Mb/s, which equates to (roughly) 6.25 (MegaBytes per second) MB/s (a bit is one eighth of a Byte) ;)

Kymmy
17-08-2009, 21:49
Hi chaps.

Hmmm, I wonder if I should be answering?? :p:

1. They claim that you can achieve download speeds of up to 50MB but does this mean that you can actually download a single file at 50MB or does it just mean that you can dowload multiple files which will mean that you can download multiple files which will total 50MB. Also if the later is true what is the max dowload speed you can achieve while downloading 1 file?

50Mb is the fastest speed capable. Now the actual speed you get is dependant on the servers you download from (some will quite happily let you download at 50Mb). As with any internet connection though it's only as fast as the slowest link in the chain.

BomberAF
17-08-2009, 23:01
Bomber, just so you don't get too disappointed first time you run a speed test or a download, it's 50 (Megabits per second) Mb/s, which equates to (roughly) 6.25 (MegaBytes per second) MB/s (a bit is one eighth of a Byte) ;)

Yep I was aware that it was Mb not MB although I did type MB not Mb:D:doh:, but thanks for the concern anyway.