PDA

View Full Version : 20 MB to 50 MB how easy

Mike
17-08-2009, 12:48
Hi all

I currently have a 20mb serice and that's all (No TV/telephone/Mobile)

I would like to just upgrade to 50MB. Is it an easy progress as I am not sure what installation needs to take place and do virgin supply a new modem?

Many thanks

Mike

Welshchris
17-08-2009, 12:56
they will send a tech and fit a new modem and u will also get supplied with a new router.

Wait till next month as on sept theres a price drop for 50mb also

Mike
17-08-2009, 13:00
they will send a tech and fit a new modem and u will also get supplied with a new router.

Wait till next month as on sept theres a price drop for 50mb also

Any idea on what the price will be ?

Thanks

deathtrap3000
17-08-2009, 13:15
Any idea on what the price will be ?

Thanks
£28 with a phoneline, £38 without.

Mike
17-08-2009, 13:33
£28 with a phoneline, £38 without.

If I ordered now would I be charged the new rate when it drops in Sept 09 :) or not :(

Thanks again

Mike

Zain
17-08-2009, 13:43
No you'll get charged the Sept 09 rate when its Sept 09... till then its just standard rate charge :)

Mike
17-08-2009, 18:38
Which question my set up is simple.....PC to moden to socket in wall.

When signing up it mentions a free Wireless "N" Router and adaptor. Ie question do you want one !

Not sure I do or what's the advantage in saying yes then not using it.....seems a bit of a waste !

Any ideas

Mike

Matt-08
17-08-2009, 18:43
If you don't have a N router now, it has many advantages!

If not, it will do as a spare.

Mike
17-08-2009, 22:14
it has many advantages!

Can you please explain more ?

Many thanks

Mike

oliver1948uk
18-08-2009, 09:27
A router connects to your VM modem

The router has four ethernet connections to connect devices to your internet connection. One may be for your main computer, another may be for something like a Tesco internet phone (highly recommended), leaving two more for perhaps storage devices, a networked printer or another computer.

In addition, the router has the ability to send the signal wirelessly so, for example, a laptop anywhere in the house should be able to connect after putting in security details. Anybody visiting with a wireless enabled laptop (the vast majority) can also go online if you choose to divulge the security codes.

Without a router, only one device may use your internet connection. With a router, there is considerably more flexibility. Even if you do not see a need for a router at present, it is worth putting in a cupboard (as it is included in the price) in case the situation changes.