PDA

View Full Version : 50Meg connection trouble

TMLeafs
17-08-2009, 10:49
Been on 50Meg since it was alviable in my area which is around 4 months amazing for the first 3 and a half but now its getting bad.

2 weeks ago had techy out and he installed a powered spitter (4way) as the 50meg also has a Vbox on it.

This helped for like 2 days and it was back to the way it was modem was locking up which required restarts and also one min it was fast the next slow.
So last week had another techy and he replaced the modem. All fine for a week and now its started again modem locked up and im not getting anything over 30Meg.

Please have a look at the attached images of the modem downstream, upstream and log. I would like some opinions before I phone VM again

Kymmy
17-08-2009, 11:06
Can't help with your problem, but would just like to say thank you for taking the time and effort to exclude the MACs from your pictures. It makes moderating a whole lot easier

:clap: :D

TMLeafs
17-08-2009, 11:16
Can't help with your problem, but would just like to say thank you for taking the time and effort to exclude the MACs from your pictures. It makes moderating a whole lot easier

:clap: :D

:D No problem :D

pabscars
17-08-2009, 14:13
Been on 50Meg since it was alviable in my area which is around 4 months amazing for the first 3 and a half but now its getting bad.

2 weeks ago had techy out and he installed a powered spitter (4way) as the 50meg also has a Vbox on it.

This helped for like 2 days and it was back to the way it was modem was locking up which required restarts and also one min it was fast the next slow.
So last week had another techy and he replaced the modem. All fine for a week and now its started again modem locked up and im not getting anything over 30Meg.

Please have a look at the attached images of the modem downstream, upstream and log. I would like some opinions before I phone VM again

Very same problem here, it was very good for the first few months and now I,m getting regular sub 30Mbps down, and up untill a few weeks ago I was getting regular as clockwork 50Mbps.

I too had tech support come out who adjusted the power levels in the Cab, which improved the V+ TV, but the internet is still very up and down.

I have been told by the very helpfull UK tech support to give them a call as soon as my connection drops again, the problem I have now is that I dont appear to be getting disconnections just an unstable one.

So quite what to do next I,m not sure.

I,m at work at the moment and looking for the uk 50MB support number which I have at home, so if some kind soul could forward it to me I would appreciate it.

I know I havent helped your problem but the best advice I can offer is to keep complaining untill you have the resolution you are after.

Ive found the uk tech support guys to be very compitent and helpfull, I just hope they find the problem for you and me both

TMLeafs
17-08-2009, 22:47
Can anyone not see a problem

:(:(:(:(

webcrawler2050
17-08-2009, 22:58
Can anyone not see a problem

:(:(:(:(

Power levels are pretty much spot on -

My Advice thread here will assist:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33653957-simple-self-test-steps-will-assist.html#post34852254

Peter_
17-08-2009, 23:09

Your power levels are well within normal operational parameters for 50Mb so any issue is either network side or customer equipment side and you will need to call the 50Mb support line so they can run tests on the connection.

Recommended time to call is after 0800 tomorrow.

50Mb support line number.

0800 052 0431

pabscars
18-08-2009, 07:56
Well I,m hoping that my problems will be sorted on Wednesday, I rang TS again and this time the gentleman spotted that my downstream frequencies were wrong (can someone explain why).

Apparently mine are

DS1 = 298.75
DS2 = 306.75
DS3 = 314.75

So I asked what they should be and he said 299, 307, 315 and 323.

Maybe someone could explain to us mere mortals why my frequencies should now be wrong and need a tech visit to sort it out.

I,m glad that this was spotted but I,m a little surprised my other 3 phone calls hadn't resulted in this being spotted sooner.

Anyway the long and short of it is that I will require another visit from VM who have to alter these frequencies to what they should be, so fingers crossed this will result in my woes being sorted.

TAZMANUK
18-08-2009, 10:01
im only getting 256kbps on my 50meg connection happended 2nd day after install i have to wait for 2nd tech line to take a look on friday

pabscars
18-08-2009, 10:56
Power levels are pretty much spot on -

My Advice thread here will assist:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33653957-simple-self-test-steps-will-assist.html#post34852254

Nice advice thread :tu::tu:, links like this make compoohtering much simpler for people like myself.

You obviously know you bum from your elbow :D, so maybe you could explain why my frequencies need adjusting or how they came to be wrong.

In layman's terms of course.

webcrawler2050
18-08-2009, 11:19
Nice advice thread :tu::tu:, links like this make compoohtering much simpler for people like myself.

You obviously know you bum from your elbow :D, so maybe you could explain why my frequencies need adjusting or how they came to be wrong.

In layman's terms of course.

Thanks - however, I imagine there could be various reasons. Not myd epartment unfortantly. A VM Guy might be better.. can anyone help the guy out?

Ignitionnet
18-08-2009, 12:31
Well I,m hoping that my problems will be sorted on Wednesday, I rang TS again and this time the gentleman spotted that my downstream frequencies were wrong (can someone explain why).

Apparently mine are

DS1 = 298.75
DS2 = 306.75
DS3 = 314.75

So I asked what they should be and he said 299, 307, 315 and 323.

Maybe someone could explain to us mere mortals why my frequencies should now be wrong and need a tech visit to sort it out.

I,m glad that this was spotted but I,m a little surprised my other 3 phone calls hadn't resulted in this being spotted sooner.

Anyway the long and short of it is that I will require another visit from VM who have to alter these frequencies to what they should be, so fingers crossed this will result in my woes being sorted.

Those frequencies are fine, the plank you are speaking to appears to have not noticed in all the support calls he's taken that ex-ntl areas use a different frequency plan from ex-Telewest, nor that the 4th downstream doesn't show in areas that use a Cisco 10k as opposed to a Motorola BSR.

All ex-TW frequencies are integers, 299.00MHz, etc, all ex-ntl end in .25 and are 0.75MHz lower than the respective Telewest channels.

He's also talking out of his backside if he thinks a service tech can change those frequencies - those are what the kit at the Warrington site is sending you, so unless the service tech can somehow log onto the Cisco kit and change its' configuration along with the EQAM the tech support guy is somewhat misinformed.

pabscars
18-08-2009, 13:19
Those frequencies are fine, the plank you are speaking to appears to have not noticed in all the support calls he's taken that ex-ntl areas use a different frequency plan from ex-Telewest, nor that the 4th downstream doesn't show in areas that use a Cisco 10k as opposed to a Motorola BSR.

All ex-TW frequencies are integers, 299.00MHz, etc, all ex-ntl end in .25 and are 0.75MHz lower than the respective Telewest channels.

He's also talking out of his backside if he thinks a service tech can change those frequencies - those are what the kit at the Warrington site is sending you, so unless the service tech can somehow log onto the Cisco kit and change its' configuration along with the EQAM the tech support guy is somewhat misinformed.

FFS :mad:, I was really hoping something was finally getting sorted..... I should have known better.

I really appreciate your reply BBD, I take it I now need to phone up again and tell them they don't know what they're talking about, which will go down like a ***** sandwich.

Apologies for getting annoyed but what's a layman got to do to get things sorted. I think I will just leave the engineer to come tomorrow and hope he has a clue what the issue is.

Other than that its back to the drawing board.

webcrawler2050
18-08-2009, 13:31
FFS :mad:, I was really hoping something was finally getting sorted..... I should have known better.

I really appreciate your reply BBD, I take it I now need to phone up again and tell them they don't know what they're talking about, which will go down like a ***** sandwich.

Apologies for getting annoyed but what's a layman got to do to get things sorted. I think I will just leave the engineer to come tomorrow and hope he has a clue what the issue is.

Good luck with Virgin - i wish people wouldn't BS.

pabscars
18-08-2009, 14:05
Good luck with Virgin - i wish people wouldn't BS.

Cheers web, I don't presume the Tech Support agent did this deliberately but don't they realise pretty fundamental differences between networks.

now I,m going to have to go home and beat the wife AND the dog just to make me feel better,,,,,,

Have that on your conscience VM

Yes I was kidding ladies and gents, calm down :D

azcomposer
18-08-2009, 16:56
now I,m going to have to go home and beat the wife AND the dog just to make me feel better,,,,,,

The sad thing is, some people actually do!

pabscars
19-08-2009, 14:25

Engineer visited whilst I was at work, and checked and adjusted my power levels again as they were too high this time, apparently the last guy turned them up too much..

He has also fitted a -6dB attenuator behind the modem, not sure why but sounds like he was a bit more thorough.

I can't say at this time if anything has improved but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Media Boy UK
19-08-2009, 14:51
Has anyone seen Virgin Media new ad for Virgin Media 50 Meg Broadband yet?

Here is that ad in full: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GT2uI91FcA&feature=player_embedded

pabscars
20-08-2009, 08:02
Engineer visited whilst I was at work, and checked and adjusted my power levels again as they were too high this time, apparently the last guy turned them up too much..

He has also fitted a -6dB attenuator behind the modem, not sure why but sounds like he was a bit more thorough.

I can't say at this time if anything has improved but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately nothing has improved :shocked:, playing via the PS3 last night and my friends could hardly tell a word I was saying, as my voice chat was constantly breaking up, speed tests indicated a very unstable download speed of between 6 and 34 Mbps.

I don't know if anyone else has come across this but when I,m testing via PS3 to speedtest.net quite often the upload test will reach approx 1.5Mb then continue to drop to nothing taking a few minutes to do this, almost as if the connection has been lost somehow its really odd.

CORRECTION In my previous post I said a -6dB attenuator was fitted, this is incorrect, It was a 6db forward path attenuator. Feel free Mods to change it.

webcrawler2050
20-08-2009, 12:26
Unfortunately nothing has improved :shocked:, playing via the PS3 last night and my friends could hardly tell a word I was saying, as my voice chat was constantly breaking up, speed tests indicated a very unstable download speed of between 6 and 34 Mbps.

I don't know if anyone else has come across this but when I,m testing via PS3 to speedtest.net quite often the upload test will reach approx 1.5Mb then continue to drop to nothing taking a few minutes to do this, almost as if the connection has been lost somehow its really odd.

CORRECTION In my previous post I said a -6dB attenuator was fitted, this is incorrect, It was a 6db forward path attenuator. Feel free Mods to change it.

How is the PS3 connected?

pabscars
20-08-2009, 15:51
How is the PS3 connected?

Via Cat 6 Ethernet Cable to Modem or router, tried it both ways last night. It was slightly faster through the Modem but not by much, still no where near what it used to be though.

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Just found out today that apparently there is a fault somewhere down the line, Ive been given a Ref No and a Location No, but with no fix date.

So I have been offered £30 discount as a peace offering, which although I appreciate, I would much rather be paying full price and receiving full speed.

But problems arise and must be dealt with, its just a shame I wasn't told this at the start.

I wish I could find out if the problem had been publicised elsewhere, hint hint

pabscars
21-08-2009, 14:52
Via Cat 6 Ethernet Cable to Modem or router, tried it both ways last night. It was slightly faster through the Modem but not by much, still no where near what it used to be though.

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Just found out today that apparently there is a fault somewhere down the line, Ive been given a Ref No and a Location No, but with no fix date.

So I have been offered £30 discount as a peace offering, which although I appreciate, I would much rather be paying full price and receiving full speed.

But problems arise and must be dealt with, its just a shame I wasn't told this at the start.

I wish I could find out if the problem had been publicised elsewhere, hint hint

I give up, engineer turned up today, he was a nice chap and when asked replied "there is no fault in the area", he rang up and checked.

so what is or isn't fact I don't know.

He's swapped the modem anyway put a different 4dB attenuator on, but now Ive got no Internet because apparently the hits aren't going through today.

Does anyone know if this is remedied now or when it is likely to be.

any help would be most welcome.

My only concern now is that its Friday afternoon, and the last time I was in this situation, we had no Internet for a week.

Her in doors is already well peeved that she cant get on Facebook.

TAZMANUK
21-08-2009, 15:21
HI

im having serious speeds problems my speed for the past 6 days have been 80kbps on 50 meg connection!!

pabscars
21-08-2009, 16:04
HI

im having serious speeds problems my speed for the past 6 days have been 80kbps on 50 meg connection!!

That sucks, I can certainly understand your frustration. Mine has been erratic for 4 weeks or so now, I can still use the net or should I say I could up untill today, but it was useless for gaming.

So I've just been having a few private matches with friends, but they cant understand what I,m saying due to constantly breaking up.

I,m sure it will get sorted one way or the other.

TAZMANUK
21-08-2009, 17:14
Hi m8

they have finally fixed it, there was an issue with one of the cabinets that i aint even connected too, the network guy cleaned some connections with white spirit and also changed the modem

ask them to try that as they said my modem was alway flapping on the network... not at home yet but was told getting 48 meg now :)

just hoping what credit im getting for 6 days wortth of 80kbps

TMLeafs
28-08-2009, 11:43
UPDATE

I have had like 4 drop out since I started this topic. Yesterday was the last and I phone VM, straight away he noticed upstream power level was to high as it was at 58.00 told me needs to below 50. Just checked the modem now and its now 45.71:confused::confused::confused:.

I have a techy coming 2moro morning. VM said there going to remove the powered spitter (4way) thingy that the first tech installed as he shouldn't have installed it and also it doesn't do anything as when on the phone yesterday we did a test I turned it off and none of the power levels changed.

Also he said I will have a higher level techy coming out this time.

Hazanko
29-08-2009, 16:17
That sucks, I can certainly understand your frustration. Mine has been erratic for 4 weeks or so now, I can still use the net or should I say I could up untill today, but it was useless for gaming.

So I've just been having a few private matches with friends, but they cant understand what I,m saying due to constantly breaking up.

I,m sure it will get sorted one way or the other.

Good luck finding an answer. I had new cables and everything. They kept saying it's a UBR fault and they supposedly "fix it" only for me a ring a month later and them saying it's the same problem. I had engineers always coming down and everything. They must of phoned 2nd line 100's of times. It's a little better but it still goes slow. I have had this issue for many months.

pabscars
01-09-2009, 08:37
Good luck finding an answer. I had new cables and everything. They kept saying it's a UBR fault and they supposedly "fix it" only for me a ring a month later and them saying it's the same problem. I had engineers always coming down and everything. They must of phoned 2nd line 100's of times. It's a little better but it still goes slow. I have had this issue for many months.

I had the modem replaced but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, so Ive just come to the conclusion that it's probably just the way it's going to be from now on, it was great, then settled to being ok, now its a bit hit and miss.

Just like the 20 Mb I used to be on so, I'l just have to put up with it till my contract runs out then find alternative's I think.

I don't want to move away from VM as I don't want the hassle, but I don't see the point in paying for 50Mb just to try and get a good connection for gaming, for which it used to be but sadly is no more.

Anyone know any good isp's for gaming, not for downloading