PDA

View Full Version : PS3

angy141
16-08-2009, 23:20
My son keeps complaining about how slow his connection is on ps3 and that it keeps losing the connection I have a wireless netgear router with a 20 mb connection .I run 2 laptops a wii and a desktop pc of this connection which only lose the connection now and again but are otherwise problem free with quick downloads and browsing .So what could the problem be with the ps3 does anyone now how to resolve this please.:confused:

MovedGoalPosts
16-08-2009, 23:27
How many of those bits of kit are being used at the same time as the PS3. If one starts a bit of download or upload the bandwidth will be shared and that can interfere.

If you are wireless, is the signal strength good? Are there other networks, or any thing else that could be interfering with the signal?

webcrawler2050
16-08-2009, 23:48
My son keeps complaining about how slow his connection is on ps3 and that it keeps losing the connection I have a wireless netgear router with a 20 mb connection .I run 2 laptops a wii and a desktop pc of this connection which only lose the connection now and again but are otherwise problem free with quick downloads and browsing .So what could the problem be with the ps3 does anyone now how to resolve this please.:confused:

Sounds like too much being used at once, in my opinion..

angy141
16-08-2009, 23:50
I am wireless and mostly 1 laptop would be on at same time probs on msn as desktop even though wired up to router only get used for sims 3 and maybe sims 3 downloads and creating disks other laptop mine mostly used for work.The signal strength on laptops is excellent not sure about ps3 but will ask my son.There are some other neighbours networks do you think a new router would solve this.

webcrawler2050
16-08-2009, 23:53
I am wireless and mostly 1 laptop would be on at same time probs on msn as desktop even though wired up to router only get used for sims 3 and maybe sims 3 downloads and creating disks other laptop mine mostly used for work.The signal strength on laptops is excellent not sure about ps3 but will ask my son.There are some other neighbours networks do you think a new router would solve this.

I think, there are a varient of issues..

New router may not be the issue and likely to be a waste of money.

Over usage / too much going on at once..

Tony.
17-08-2009, 01:13
Sounds like too much being used at once, in my opinion..

I don't believe that!! Earlier on my sons had their friends round for a 'gaming session' so in effect we had 5 longhaired herberts playing WoW whilst my wife was on facebook and I was surfing various forums. This makes a total of 6 PCs/Laptops wireless and 1 PC hard wired to the router with no loss of connection :) The only problem was slow loading of YouTube videos still able to download faster than viewing though :)

Perhaps it is a router issue:erm:

irishguymcr
17-08-2009, 01:20

What is he trying to with the PS3?

I know when I download with the PS3 it is pretty slow as it downloads in the background.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

I have just been checking online and came across some interesting information that may help you

see this page for troubleshooting, it's US but should work

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=280&p_sid=ZB1nDzFj

and this page for setting up your ps3 wireless connection again

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=977&p_sid=ZB1nDzFj

The big thing to remember is to have,on the PS3, the Media server connection disabled, under network setting, as mine was enabled and after disabling the speed increased dramatically.

Hope this helps

Zhadnost
17-08-2009, 09:44
The big thing to remember is to have,on the PS3, the Media server connection disabled, under network setting, as mine was enabled and after disabling the speed increased dramatically.

Hope this helps

Thanks, this may come in handy. Is this the same with the most current firmware and with a (gigabit) wired connection? (Odd that it should slow down the networking when it's not even in use).

angy141
17-08-2009, 09:44
He mostly plays some war game online and talks to the people he plays against with bluetooth adapter.

KingDaveRa
17-08-2009, 19:58
Could be channel sharing? Do other people around you have wireless? If so, they're probably all on the same channel, and that will cause interference, and generally slow you down a bit.

It's best to find a free channel, and move there.

angy141
17-08-2009, 20:51
Thanks will get him to try that.

webcrawler2050
17-08-2009, 21:48
He mostly plays some war game online and talks to the people he plays against with bluetooth adapter.

Yep seems liek the PS3 is hogging the connection..

wwe
26-12-2009, 21:18
hi i car't play any new games as i don't have space to play it whats the best way to get more space as i don't want to delete my saved games

zing_deleted
26-12-2009, 22:32
wireless = poop pretty much in any configuration. Ive had wireless around my house and in the end tought sod it cuz I got sick of drop outs and wired it all up that was at the pre bump post and the post bump post Id say get a new hard drive and clone it

Ignitionnet
27-12-2009, 01:04
hi i car't play any new games as i don't have space to play it whats the best way to get more space as i don't want to delete my saved games

You know this is the Internet Services / Broadband section, right? I do see your point though, this thread should probably be in the 'Networking' section given it's about home networking.

Sony Gaming Section (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/18/) - much better chance of an answer there on your query.

nav007
29-12-2009, 03:28
Bought a PS3 for xmas, was actually surprised at how easy it was to connect wirelessly to the net. Downloaded a 2gb game in 30 mins (i'm on the 20mb)

haven't really had any problems with connecting to servers/playing online.

I would bet that there's some interference between the router and PS3

webrosc
29-12-2009, 16:28
You may find that putting the PS3 into the routers DMZ will help with connection issues.

@ WWE you can delete the game data (not game saves) of games you don't play often to gain more space, it will mean going thru installation again when you play, or just upgrade the HDD

Wad_2002
29-12-2009, 16:34
6 people using a wireless 54mb connection at the same time. You do relise that your upload speed (which is not 20mb and which is most important when online gaming is being shared between 6 connections.

I think from what an earlier poster said - too much being used at once.

Perhaps are better router such as the wireless n gaming ones (these seemingly run at 300mb LAN and are up to these tasks). I would even look into thresholding the connection and making sure all the relvant ports on the router are open.

my 2 cents.

wwe
19-02-2010, 23:08
hi when these gates ment to be opening in ps3 home?